Forum

Post subject: Back from Whistler & motivated, Chicksands localish...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:35 pm 
So after an excursion at Whistler Bike park where I rented a Norco Aurum, Carbon DH bike I've found some motivation to get my lazy arse back in (and out) of the saddle.

Unfortunately I've gone from this....

...to this....

Okay it's not too bad, maybe a little old (I've had it since 2008) but it will have to do for now, 150mm bombers, Hope Evo M4's and the frame is built like a tank. Yes, I desperately want a new toy (don't we all) but I want to work on my riding a bit more (translation I'm skint and need to save up).

So my fitness isn't entirely awful for someone in their mid 30's on short sub 20 mile rides but I'm wrecked on anything longer. I used to be far more committed to getting out and riding back in 2007 so I'd like to get back to that. Sadly, I've moved around quite a bit (I'm originally from Yorkshire) and most of my old riding buddies have got bored with biking (or too fat to ride), had more kids and less time, or live too far the other side of the country so currently I'm mostly out solo.

As I'm working on improving my overall riding and skills I've been heading to Chicksands most evenings while we have the light to play with but I'd like to build back up to doing day rides at bike parks (I used to do Coedy, Afan, Cwmcarn). I've been to Woburn Sands a few times but I prefer the skill progression at Chicksands (and its less than a half hour drive). Any other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Back from Whistler & motivated, Chicksands localish...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:00 pm 
PORC is closer than Wales I guess and perhaps Danbury Conmen and Aston Hill but they are similar to Chicksands. Bonus to PORC is the DH community is strong there so that may help.

There aren't really any 'big' trail centres this side of the border though - although I suppose Cannock is an easy day ride for you?

--------------------------------------
Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:54 pm 
Hello
Nothing to add but Norco Aurum mmmmm 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:11 am 
stumpie wrote:
PORC is closer than Wales I guess and perhaps Danbury Conmen and Aston Hill but they are similar to Chicksands. Bonus to PORC is the DH community is strong there so that may help.

There aren't really any 'big' trail centres this side of the border though - although I suppose Cannock is an easy day ride for you?

Cannock is about 2 an a bit hours, BPW is about 3 an a bit, Porc and Danbury are about 1hr30 so yeah they sound doable. Aston Hill is just under an hour from me, but that said how rough are these for a hardtail? The front can take most things and I ride out of the saddle going down anyway but still there's only so much I can take :lol:

That Aurum was a dream, it was fully kitted out, like $5000 CAD base price and then it was fully upgraded on top. Damn what a machine :twisted: