Forum

Post subject: Basildon Newbie
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:14 pm 
Hi all, my names Karl and i live in Basildon.

I'm very new to the mtb scene but can see my self catching the bug already after buying my first decent(ish) bike.

Had a quick look on the forum and noticed theres quite a few rides going on so look forward to coming along some time if theres room for a noob on the trail :oops:

Post subject: Re: Basildon Newbie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:11 am 
Yoooo!! Welcome!

Where do you normally ride? what bike you got?!

Hope to see you on a ride soon!!!!

--------------------------------------
Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:54 am 
Always room for a boob, i mean Noob :wink:
plenty of rides over at thorndon or if you know the area wll Langdon Hills is pretty awesome

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:30 am 
Thanks guys, ive not even been out anywhere yet 100% beginner!!
Ive got myself a Giant Xtc 2.5 (think its an 08) not quite as special as you guys ride but i think it will do for now lol
Ive herd good things about Langdon Hills but not been up there yet, look forward to trying it out though :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:39 am 
That's a good bike to start on and nothing wrong with being 100% beginner! Everyone starts somewhere and its always good to see people getting out on their bike!

1 word of advise if you haven't done so already GET A HELMET!!!!! You will fall off and you only get one head! Look after it!!

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

Post subject: Basildon Newbie
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:42 am 
Hey mate, welcome from another bas vegas resident and newbie. i ride langdon hills and thorndon regularly (bikes been put away till the new year now though) and have also been to danbury a fair few times. if you want some company on a ride then give me a shout and yeah keep an eye out for rides next year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:47 am 
Lol that was my thoughts exactly, dont have one yet but have been looking into it and dont intend on riding without one.
What kinda helmet would you recommend, ive seen a bunch of different styles out there and im not sure whats best for what.

Hi Keith, Ill definitely hit you up when im ready to roll, Is theres many riders from basildon on here?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:52 am 
It depends on what sort of riding you are indenting on doing:

If you are after a DJ syle p1ss pot - TSG do a huuuuuge range of colours and style and are super comfy

If you are a bog standard XC helmet the Giro Hex is a great lid, and has all the feature of the Xen at half the price.

If you are wanting something more substantial for DH/FR then a full face is a good idea, I run TLD lids a composite D2 and a carbon D3 and they are amazing but expensive, 661 do a good range of full faces and are at good prices too.

If you get stuck but see one you like, post on here and im sure people will help give you advice!

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:00 am 
Chances are ill be doing normal xc, would love to say downhill but i dont think id have the balls lol
Just had a quick look at the giro and its pretty nice, think ill have a shop about and see if i can get something ordered :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:30 am 
Word of advice on helmet ordering...

I would highly recommend going and trying on various types / manufacturers. They can vary so much in fit and size it's madness.

I personally had to try lots of different ones (as also did for motor racing / skiing, etc) due to head shape (no need for funny inputs here lads :) ) but it took a while to find one that felt really comfortable. And remember, you'll easily end up wearing for hours at a time do it's important it fits right for both comfort and safety.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:33 am 
SurferEv wrote:
Word of advice on helmet ordering...

I would highly recommend going and trying on various types / manufacturers. They can vary so much in fit and size it's madness.

I personally had to try lots of different ones (as also did for motor racing / skiing, etc) due to head shape (no need for funny inputs here lads :) ) but it took a while to find one that felt really comfortable. And remember, you'll easily end up wearing for hours at a time do it's important it fits right for both comfort and safety.

Very true!!!! Try them on and then order online and get it cheaper!! hahaa

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

Last edited by Matt_Hillyard on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:33 pm 
Howdee.

I'm in Southend and have visited Laindon/Langdon Hills a few times. As well as some other local spots, Hadleigh Castle (Olympic Track..before getting booted off and they put barriers to make in unrideable).

Personally Im a DH fan but of course there is a lack of it round here but there are a few places that are ok.

I dont think DH is something to be that scared of, in fact, my first taste of it was some of the black runs at Morzine and i survived relatively unscathed, since then Ive improved my bike somewhat, 3 complete rebuilds (current is Commencal Supreme DH and mostly Saint goodies), its recently rebuilt but havnmt been out too much recently, i prefer it a bit warmer and drier !

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:09 pm 
Thanks for the tip on the helmets guys, ill be sure to go and waste someones time trying them all on before leaving without spending a penny! haha.

Hi Andy, is there any riding spots up Southend way that you know of? To be honest the idea of dh really grabs my attention but i can see myself kissing a tree on the way down haha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:19 pm 
Karl89 wrote:
Thanks for the tip on the helmets guys, ill be sure to go and waste someones time trying them all on before leaving without spending a penny! haha.

Hi Andy, is there any riding spots up Southend way that you know of? To be honest the idea of dh really grabs my attention but i can see myself kissing a tree on the way down haha

Thats the appeal of it! you'll be surprised at how accessible DH is especially if you take it easy and go at your own pace, Get down Danbury and give it a go!!! 8-)

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:46 pm 
Haha i keep watching the videos of people doing it on youtube and it does look insane fun, ive only got hayes mx4 breaks im not sure how easy i could take it!! lol