Forum

Post subject: Hi guys...new guy in Braintree area
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:49 pm 
Hello to everyone in the group. My name is Chris, I am American by birth from Atlanta, Georgia but live here now. I live near Braintree in north Essex, just got myself a cheap mountain bike a few months ago and am looking for places to ride that are kind of local or not too far away. I am 41 and in not-so-good physical shape nowadays.
I have been an out-of-work engineer for 2 years and have stayed at home with our two kids...until they start school in a couple of weeks, so my weight has skyrocketed and my health has plummeted...enough said. :oops: It finally hit the fan for me when I hyperextended my left knee a few weeks ago, and am now wearing one of those stupid padded braces and also have strained my left ankle and hip to take the pressure off my left knee. So, pretty much a mess now and not healing as fast as I had hoped. :( I have taken my bike out a few times for slow easy rides on sidewalks/trails but am working on getting my knee sorted out first. I rode bikes like crazy, did all sorts of stunts and cross-country, hill-jumping and so on as a kid (those were the best days) and even rode on beaches and steep rocky hills in my teens before there was such a thing as MTB (it was just "riding bikes" back then) all the way up to when I was about 21-22 yrs. old when my 4th bike was stolen. I never replaced it....moved on to other things and grew up, served in the military and got married then moved to the UK from the USA back in 2003 and settled down here. We moved to Great Notley back in 2005 and have been here ever since. Have travelled around the UK a bit and explored Essex via footpaths and back roads but never by bike. I am also looking for any riders who are local and might be interested in meeting up for some easy cross-country rides until my knee is totally healed. I go to Discovery/Great Notley park about once a week or whenever I can manage it. Hope to meet up soon and a big hello from the local expat "yank". :wave:
-Chris aka "strickdaddy"

Post subject: Re: Hi guys...new guy in Braintree area
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:33 pm 
Hello Chris. I'm just over the A120 from you in Rayne so if you ever fancy a ride along the Flitch Way (ideal place to start getting some plain miles in) or anywhere you can give me a shout. Unfortunately for us there isn't much in the way of proper MTB stuff around Braintree so I tend to go to Thordon, Danbury, Epping and such. Join in on a group ride when your healed, everyone is welcoming here!

Post subject: Hi guys...new guy in Braintree area
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:43 pm 
Hello Chris...

I used to live on great motley garden village but moved to rural Chelmsford now.... Nice and quiet here now :-)

The flitch way is you best route to use and is not to technical but will get you out riding.. It's straight and you can't really go wrong on it. I sometimes ride it end to end or do half of it, as I can join it at great Dunmow so sort of half way point.

The discovery centre is right by it... Head towards the Notly bird on the big hill over the motorway bridge and your their...

I was thinking of doing it sometime this week as I'm off work on holiday time R&R...

Keep an eye on the ride section as all rides appear their...

--------------------------------------
Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 am 
Eccles wrote:
Hello Chris. I'm just over the A120 from you in Rayne so if you ever fancy a ride along the Flitch Way (ideal place to start getting some plain miles in) or anywhere you can give me a shout. Unfortunately for us there isn't much in the way of proper MTB stuff around Braintree so I tend to go to Thordon, Danbury, Epping and such. Join in on a group ride when your healed, everyone is welcoming here!

Thanks a lot Eccles. I apprciate the info and will let you know when the doc gives me an all clear and I can saddle up again to ride! Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:05 am 
chatman wrote:
Hello Chris...

I used to live on great motley garden village but moved to rural Chelmsford now.... Nice and quiet here now :-)

The flitch way is you best route to use and is not to technical but will get you out riding.. It's straight and you can't really go wrong on it. I sometimes ride it end to end or do half of it, as I can join it at great Dunmow so sort of half way point.

The discovery centre is right by it... Head towards the Notly bird on the big hill over the motorway bridge and your their...

I was thinking of doing it sometime this week as I'm off work on holiday time R&R...

Keep an eye on the ride section as all rides appear their...

Cool, thanks for the info. I was thinking along the same route...to get me used to being on a bike again over at the park then off down the Flitch Way and then onwards and upwards from there to hopping hills again. I have not been cross-country or trail riding on a bike regularly for 15 years. Hard to believe. Might see you about someday will let you know when I am going out again, have to let my knee recover for now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:48 pm 
Looks like we might be able to get a little group together. I live in great Notley, and too am the wrong side of 40 unfit and keen to get back into it.

Just picked up a new hardtail as a little incentive.

Happy to get involved in some not to strenuous rides to get me started.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:42 am 
I live 4 miles away in Witham and the very wrong side of 40, I'm usually out on Sunday mornings if you're interested in some company

Darren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:54 pm 
Hi guys, seems the right place for the over forties and not very fit club. Live in Colchester but happy to commute for a regular weekend ride. Haven't gone off road since I was a teenager but ride to work every day so looking to step up the fun factor.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:15 pm 
Hi guys, not to far away either. Broomfield in chelmsford. And also the wrong side of 40. Need to get out after Xmas for a bit of xc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:24 am 
I'm going to check out a few places around Colchester as soon as a few items turn up from Cycle UK if anyones interested. Friday Wood and some woods near Chitts Hill. Anyone whos been there allready let me know if there any good. The ultimate place to go for all of us would be Danbury Wood near Chelmsford but we're going to need transport and bike racks because its a six mile ride from Chelmsford station before we even get to go xc, which is fine on a good day but after riding all day I don't know how many of us are going to feel like the ride back !!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:32 pm 
Does anyone know what type of cleats/pedals I need for Diadora x country 2 trainers bought of wiggle and whether they are appropriate

Many thanks

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:30 am 
They use the standard 2 slot system on the sole of the shoe so they'll be fine. As for pedals, that's a personal thing. Some like ones like Crank Bros eggbeaters for the mud shedding and freedom of movement whereas I have always used Shimano pedals as I like the float they give and most of their SPD range is pretty much bomb proof and will last ages with little or no maintenance.
Just choose something in your budget and give them a try and enjoy falling off in an embarrassing fashion a few times!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:01 pm 
Thanks for your advice Eccles. Still waiting on a few things from Cycle UK but popping out in the new year to complete the last of my mtb shopping list. Hate waiting on home delivery !!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:50 pm 
Stevemac

I know some good rides/loops round Colchester using MOD land. Let me know if your sorted and would like to go for a spin. Offer open to any other matureish :-) riders!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:35 pm 
Hello gents
Just thought I'd introduce myself after seeing this post,I like many of you am on the wrong side of. 40 and looking to get out and about on my MTB.
I've just treated myself to a new bike and have been taking it over the flitch way and discovery centre but am looking to ride some new routes so any suggestions would be welcome.
I live in braintree so if any of you are interested in going for a ride at the weekend that would be great. Oh by the way I'm a bit of a dinosaur and not up with computers and technology so please be patient and I'll get back to you as soon as my 9 year old son has got time to help his old man.