Forum

Post subject: Hello all
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:28 pm 
A cheery hello from my corner of North Essex.
I've been dropping by frequently and having a nose around the forum, so thought I'd get registered so I could pop the odd post up and contribute from time to time.
I've been signed up on PB and MTBE for a while also and can usually be found poking about in the DH sections of both forums and thought it'd make sense to do the same here and hopefully get to know a few bods who are a bit more local.
Cheers :)

Post subject: Re: Hello all
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:17 am 
Hi mate,
Quite a few dh riders here. What do you ride?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:44 am 
Welcome along

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:36 pm 
Cheers fella's. I have a 2013 YT Tues 2.0 Comp, which is currently undergoing a refit ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:48 pm 
Hey crispybacon - welcome along. Nice bike. What are your closest trails?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:15 pm 
Hi Jon and thanks, that'd be Danbury if I don't want to drive that far, other than that it's Chicky, PORC etc. Or further afield if I can make the time. Where I'm located it's not exactly thick with uplifts lol!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:59 am 
Hi mate, love the yt's. Been getting out much with the Shit weather?

See you on a ride soon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:22 pm 
Hi mate, thanks I'm well chuffed with it. I'll be even happier when I've finished it's refit lol! No not at all tbh, along with the shitty weather, work etc not really had chance. Mind you I only collected the YT about 5 weeks ago from a very flooded Dorset and it was in bits within a couple of days lol!
The dude I bought it off, considered bike maintenance to be quite low on his list of priorities, so I've had a few gremlins to sort out (this could be a thread in it's own right) but I'm getting there. So I'm pleased mother nature is being a total bitch of late, as it's stopped me from feeling too hacked off that I can't get out and throw myself about lo!

Yes mate that'd be cool, that's why I've signed up here to hopefully make some good riding buddies :)

Last edited by crispybacon on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:56 pm 
Nice bike, I nearly bought one of the special additions last year but I a kid I couldn't put up with the wait for it so got a 2nd hand commencal v3.

Theres a fair few of us that are willing to drive round the country to uplift and normally space in a van somewhere if you wanna join us.
Haven't been out for a while either really, weather and work related.

Whats up with the YT?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:16 pm 
Cheers jim25, you should've held on, but I know what you mean mate...it's a killer when you've got a few quid burning a hole in your pocket and you're new bike shopping lol!

That's good to hear and it'd be cool to have a likeminded bunch of DH thrashers to go riding with :thumbup: I think there's an awful lot of bods not getting out and suffering cabin fever...at least the online retailers are being kept busy lol!

As for the YT? Firstly it doesn't help that I am a persistent fiddler and given half a chance I'd spend all day in the garage messing about with a bike, so the chances of it staying complete for more than a week were slim :lol:

So a couple of days after bringing it home, I thought it wise to give it a good going through. And not just because I couldn't help myself :roll: I'd noticed one or two things when I collected the bike that would need looking at and also, I always think it wise to go right through a secondhander, even if it looks immaculate. Better to be safe than sorry, if you're trusting that the previous owner was as maintenance conscious as you are with a bike. Especially a DH bike.

Just as well I did. The first thing I'd noticed on collection day, was that the bar action from bump stop to bump stop was not as smooth as it should have been. This along with the front wheel dish being out, gave me some ammo to beat the price down. Not a problem, got the wheel trued and dished for £25 quid so no biggie.

With the bike stripped down to just the frame, the rough headset action was quickly diagnosed as a completely f*ucked bottom headset bearing. Seized pretty much solid and on a 2013 bike this just shouldn't be. Once I'd driven the bearing out, it just felt apart and was as rusty as an old horseshoe. With nothing on the drive train other than the cranks, a few turns and it became apparent there was another bearing failure in the BB. After removing the BB, the non-drive side had a couple of disintergrated balls and a split race seal and the drive side literally fell apart as it came out of the frame.

It's always disappointing to uncover deep seated problems on your "new" bike (especially on this particular bike frame. You wouldn't believe the amount of aggro I've had finding replacement bearings) but that is the roll of the dice when buying a secondhander and placing your faith in that the previous owner actually kept the bike in check. As opposed to just blasting it with a power-washer and letting it drip dry. Power-washer's kill bearings in no time flat if they're not checked regularly

Taking the time to strip your new ride down pays dividends though, because you know for certain the first time you're at the top the hill with it, you've done all you can to make sure it gets to the bottom. This is also why, if I buy a secondhander, I try and do it during the winter, when it's shit outside you can still be doing something to while away the days until spring hits and when you need to be riding and not fixing.

Sorry for the long post but you did ask, lol!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:23 pm 
Well, sounds like your on top of things!
Had a bit of a tinker with mine over the weekend, sorted out few problems with the shifter and fitted new wheels.Noticed how crappy my bottom bracket was, so thats on the list for replacement now. Just a pain as its a press fit jobbie so might have to take it to the shop. Best get it sorted soon as have just booked up to race at Rogate in 2 weeks. Fancy it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:54 pm 
Yep it's all under control...lol!
What wheels did you fit? Something trick?
Press fit BB, then you're talking to the right man. If you're not a million miles away from me mate, I'll gladly pop them in for you or you're welcome to do it yourself, as I have the Park Tool jobbie for pressing them in ;) What size PF BB do you have 24 or 30?
I would've done but the new headset I'm waiting on won't be here for 3 weeks :( but thanks for asking.