Forum

Post subject: Hello from sunny Dunmow
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:11 am 
Morning all...

I'm Jordan and I'm new here - nice to find a friendly crowd of local(-ish) riders.

I live in Great Dunmow, bang in the middle of the awesome and challenging Flitch Way. I've pretty much conquered it, so if anyone needs any tips on tackling the hard bits - the 4-6 inch drops, the massive climbs over the A120 and the tight switchback corners – please don't hesitate to get in touch.

In return, I really need to work out where the best bits in Epping Forest are. I've been there a few times recently and really enjoy it, but have realised it could take months to work out how to link the best sections.

So I'll aim to tag along on what seem to be the regular weekend (Sunday?) rides soon-ish - be nice to meet some of you...

Post subject: Re: Hello from sunny Dunmow
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:51 am 
Hi Jordan... I live not to far from Dunmow and ride the Flitch way when all my local trails have been churned up by the horses and rain.. or need to stretch the legs a bit...

--------------------------------------
Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:53 am 
G'day! Keep your eyes on the Rides section.
I may have to do this flitch way ride, It seems to be the secret to Chatman's Power?

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:04 pm 
The Flitch Way is a good spin VW... Nothing to do with mountain biking, but it drains really well, so it's rideable all year round. A good way of getting some miles under the wheels without doing it on tarmac.

Oh, and whichever way you ride it, there's a coffee stop along the way! Rayne Station, Dunmow (you'd have to detour into town quick) or at Hatfield Forest between Dunmow and Stansted. Beautiful countryside much of the way on either side too.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the Rides section and join some rather less flat outings soon...

Oh, and chatman, what do you ride? I'll keep a look out along the Flitch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:10 pm 
Welcome to essexherts, jmac.

See you at Epping sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:14 pm 
Hi from me, see you on a ride soon, you will looove it :-)

Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:17 pm 
jmac wrote:
Oh, and chatman, what do you ride? I'll keep a look out along the Flitch.

I ride a silver KHS Full Sus or Brown Marin HT sometimes....

I detour into Knotley country park sometimes, at least that way you do get a big hill to go up :roll: :roll: and then down then re-join the Flitch at Rayne station.

If no rides are happening elsewhere on this Sunday, I might do the whole Flitch way..... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:23 pm 
Its a no from me, I'm in siverstone :wink:

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:37 pm 
Cheers ninja, beardee - thanks for the welcome!

chatman - cool, another KHS'er. That'll be a 604 if it's a silver full-sus will it? Nice. I'm on an Alite 2000.

Sadly though, I won't be on it (on the Flitch or anywhere else) this weekend - we're off to Devon and I'll be bike-less. Near Dartmoor. And bikeless. Good, isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:42 pm 
jmac wrote:

chatman - cool, another KHS'er. That'll be a 604 if it's a silver full-sus will it? Nice. I'm on an Alite 2000.

Sadly though, I won't be on it (on the Flitch or anywhere else) this weekend - we're off to Devon and I'll be bike-less. Near Dartmoor. And bikeless. Good, isn't it?

BRILLIANT another KHS rider :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ... yep it's a 2011 604 great bike.

oooh all that Moreland and perfect biking territory as well..... :silent: :silent: :silent:

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:04 pm 
I'd be interested in doing this Flitch way. I've had a look on my Landranger maps and can't really see it plotted so would be good to get it routes so I can jump on it from Stortford.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:17 pm 
Ill post about it next week boys.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:33 pm 
Duckcm18 wrote:
I'd be interested in doing this Flitch way. I've had a look on my Landranger maps and can't really see it plotted so would be good to get it routes so I can jump on it from Stortford.

Have a look HERE

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:41 pm 
Duckcm18 - I THINK the easiest way would be to pick it up at Start Hill, just the 'Dunmow' side of the Birchanger roundabout on the B1256 (or 'Old A120' as I still insist on calling it).

The Start Hill garage is on your left hand side - opposite the garage is the road to Hallingbury and if memory serves you can get on the Flitch from a little way down there.

It's been a while since I came at it from Stortford, so I won't swear to it, but I think that's right. Either way, once you've found one end of it, it's a piece of cake (a very straight, flat piece of cake for the most part) til you get to Dunmow, then there's a bit of road-ness to do if you want to pick up the Dunmow-Braintree section.

But I'll let robholland do it properly next week...

chatman - yep, the 604 is a great bike from what I hear. I love the Alite, I have to say. Oh, and thanks for the 'moorland sympathy'; I'm going to try and ignore the Devon countryside all week.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:48 pm 
Hey fellas,

Not wanting to hijack your welcome thread too much jmac :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Started a Flitch topic <<HERE>>

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A