Forum

Post subject: Jumping before I can ride!
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:32 pm 
Evening all,

I got myself a Cerrera Krakken over the weekend and am now itching to get out and get familiar with some local fun trails. I'm in Benfleet so the first port of call will have to be Hadleigh Downs, but also planning on getting to Danbury by this weekend coming latest.

Completely new MTB starter so not sure what I need. The likely hood is however, is that no matter how foolish, I'm gonna be doing exactly as the subject header reads and will need some protective gear. Do I go full face helmet or will a normal MTB head helmet suffice? I'm thinking full, but am clueless on what to look for as they range from circa £40 to £300+.

Cheers guys and look forward to perhaps riding with some of yas soon.

Post subject: Re: Jumping before I can ride!
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:15 am 
Hi Greggers,

Welcome to the forum ;)

I'd suggest keeping an eye on the ride calendar in the top right-hand side for rides you'd like to join.

Then in respect to lids (a) somebody will come along and give much better advice than me in a moment and (b) I'd leave the full-face unless you are planning some serious downhill stuff & jumps - and if you are then your bike is probably not best for it :)

Just some advice; I don't know the area well but you mention the Hadleigh Downs - if that includes Hadleigh Farm (Olympic MTB Site) then just note the local bike club look down on anybody riding it without permission (and nobody has permission yet...)

Other than that - :high5:

Stumpie

--------------------------------------
Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:22 am 
Hi. I (and various others) often ride the Benfleet/Hadleigh Downs/Leigh area, a good route/loop can be made of various tracks, as mentioned above there is also the Olympic XC track which is being turned into somwthing quite impressive, it is closed to the public at the moment, although there are extra tracks outside of the main XC track area that are being/have been built.

Its worth joing the hadleigh MTB club, as they organise rides in the general area and you can also have coaching on the XC track and the pump/practise areas before it is opened to the general public next year.

As for helmets, a full face is a bit much for a normal ride around the downs, plus youll find it gets impossibly hot, I tend to just take the full face for more DH places like Danbury and when the Olympic Track is open I may take it there just for the more challanging/DHG specific runs, although generally a decent trail helmet would do.

There are umpteen full and trail helmets around, not need to spend hundreds unless you want the very latest carbon Troy Lee ones, plenty available second hand, just make sure they arnt crashed/damaged.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:46 pm 
Cheers chaps that's great. Good suggestion about Hadleigh MTB Club also, I will prob join up after a few outings so I'm not a complete novice. Nice one

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:29 pm 
Not been the Hadleigh country park since last summer. Some food sections around there, lots of dog walkers too so just be careful not to run someone over like I nearly did lol.
Danbury is the one to go to, I'm holding out for some good weather but hoping to get there next weekend.