Forum

Post subject: New, Improved and living in Chelmsford
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:05 pm 
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to the site. I'm " improved" because I'm recovering from hip surgery (to shave off a femoral impingement - I'm having the other side done next year) which I hope will have benefits when I get back on my bike. My surgeon reckons I'll be riding again by Feb, which isn't so bad.

I used to ride at Epping most weekends, Thorndon when I lived in Warley, Thetford here and there and have made the odd trip to Wales too. Then I had two kids (with another on the way) and somehow I had no time anymore. Anyone relate to that? In truth, I'm mainly of a XC rider and have even become a bit of a roadie since moving to Chelmsford a couple of years ago, but don't judge me on that! What with working at home and living 5 mins away from the open countryside, who'd miss the chance to go riding for an hour at lunchtime?

Anyway, Danbury seems to be my nearest "trail centre" if you will, and I've always known it was there. But I don't know where you have to go to ride or whether there are any friendly groups that meet up there. Can anybody enlighten me?

Joe

Post subject: Re: New, Improved and living in Chelmsford
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:50 pm 
Welcome Joe

When riding Danbury, I have noticed a small group of XC riders that go out at 9:30 ish on Saturday mornings, so if you do ever see them, im sure they wont mind you tagging along, also if you ever want to try the jumpy side of Danbury, there are plenty of friendly people over the "bombholes"

To find out how to get to Danbury, check out the riding spots and lick on Danbury, The main car park is Bicknacre Rd car park

http://essexhertsmtb.co.uk/riding_spots.php

--------------------------------------
"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:12 am 
Thanks, I'll take all that on board. And I'd love to try the "jumpy" side too! Just waiting for my hip to fix itself and then hopefully I'll be a little more sociable.

Last edited by Fatcat1974 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:02 am 
Hey Joe - Cool to hear you are getting back on the bike - if the truth be known none of us since Tonto went up north know Danbury (XC stuff) that well... seems to be a dispersed and disparate set of woods. If you find anyone who knows the way round let us know as id like to learn a few routes and get them down on a GPS.

There are always Epping rides going on even in this rubbish weather so keep an eye out for those.

Healing vibes for that hip dude.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:00 am 
Cheers. I love Epping. Used to ride with the group from Heales Cycles but lost touch a bit for a combination of reasons. I haven't ridden at Epping since the summer. I bet it's a swamp now!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:35 pm 
Hi Joe.

As said above, I've seen a fair few XC'ers pass through Danbury Common and I'm sure none of them would mind you tagging along. If you want to see the jumpy side then just post up here - at least one of us will be there every week.

It's pretty laid back at Danbury, you stop and chat to virtually everyone there - quite the opposite to a Heales Cycles ride! ;)

--------------------------------------
I used to be a lot like you but now I'm only me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:58 pm 
Ha ha. Cheers. Hoping to be back on my bike in about 6 weeks so I'll stick about. Seems like a damned decent forum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:05 pm 
Fatcat1974 wrote:
Ha ha. Cheers. Hoping to be back on my bike in about 6 weeks so I'll stick about. Seems like a damned decent forum.

Welcome & heaing vibes as well. Had a few injuries myself (not always biking related !) but always mega keen to get back on the bike and I know it drives you nuts ticking the days off.

I would say you wouldnt find a more decent bunch of fellas around from my experience and rides I have been on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:15 pm 
Thanks. Certainly had a good welcome so far, so thanks to everybody.