Forum

Post subject: New rider from Braintree, soon Wickford.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:21 am 
Hi everyone,

My name is Nick, I currently live in Braintree but soon will be moving to Wickford in Essex. I am 41 and starting in March last year I have been on a massive weight loss and getting fit route, this was triggered by my seperating from my wife after she had an affair.

In March 2011 I could not run, was very overweight, had no confidence and was very unfit and unhappy with myself. Now I run 3-4 times a week and my longest distance to date if 6.5k, workout in the gym and swim inbetween running. I now also cooking a lot myself and eat healthy, I have lost six stone so far, feel so much healthier, love exercising, loving life, and ready to do a lot more.

I purchased a cheap mountain bike last year to just get me back riding and recently been using it a lot to ride on roads and parks etc, this has become so much easier too after all the running and spinning classes I do. My friend just took my old bike off my hands as I was able to get a new bike to offset tax in my company, so I just got a Boardman Pro MTB yesterday and riding it for 8 miles out the shop I love it :)

So apart from the detailed introduction, what I want to do is find some great places to go ride which are not to difficult straight off, but a little challenging as I used to love my BMX when I was young. Remember I am 41 and stocky, so not as agile as a lot of you guys, but I will give most things a try at least.

I need to also sort out a carrier system for my car as its not going to be easy if at all possible to get my bike in the car :( I have a bmw m3 coupe (e46) model in case any of you know what works on that car?

Love to hear back form some of you.

Nick

Post subject: Re: New rider from Braintree, soon Wickford.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:41 am 
Hi Nick... Welcome fella

First off being 41 is young.. nothing wrong in that.. next WELL DONE in loosing all the weight :clap: :clap:

We have loads of rides most weekends going on, so best keep an eye on the rides section on this site..

Oh and lastly.. I'll take the M3 off ya.. no good for carry bikes apart from faslty.. dirt tracks will have the exhausts of in no time.. :lolno: :lolno:

--------------------------------------
Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:43 am 
And 3, 2, 1... You're back in the room..

We managed to get it all out of you in one hit there Nick ;)

Blimey, I can see 2012 is gonna be an interesting and productive year for you. :)
We regularly ride Hockley (train from Wickford if no solution for car), Thorndon (again, train from Wickford) and many other spots around the area.

You'll be more than welcome to come join in a ride any time. Just keep your eye on the 'rides' section to see what's being organised each week.

May be an ignorant question but could you put roof bars on your BM to take a bike carrier?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:49 am 
Just quickly had a peep...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=715780&mid=0&nmt=e46%20M3%20roof%20rack%20options

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 am 
@chatman thank you, yes you are right, I only feel about 25 inside really, I have a lot of stammina and now energy too :) Good point re the dirt tracks! Knew I should have kept the VW Touareg :o I'll keep an eye out in the rides section too :)

@SurferEv Thank you, I'll checkout the rides section and will get along to give this try :) I think so far I have worked out that a bar on the back is not an option, the car can take roof bars and Thule do them, so guess I just need to go the expensive route as usual :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:56 am 
SurferEv wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:04 am 
Hi matey, welcome on board.
Danbury is only a short drive from you (in wickford) so plenty of decent rides to be had there, also as said Thorndon, Hylands, Hadleigh and Hockley all within a short drive.
Always nice to see new faces on a ride, and we dont bite so dont be affraid to join us, even if you think you'll hold us up, most of the time we welcome the rest :wink:

Laser hales from Wickford, maybe if you just strap him to the roof he could hold your bike?

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:05 am 
Welcome!
When will you be moving? I'm over in Rayne so just up the road from you. Where do you go running? May have passed you f on the Flitch way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:12 am 
@VW-surfbum Thanks, I look forward to meeting some new faces too, be great to get my 7 year old son started at this soon too, bet he will love it.

@Eccles thanks, the chain broke on the house sale on Monday so a little longer yet. I am in Black Notley but know Rayne a bit. I mainly run either at Xpect gym or any david lloyd gym, the only outdoor runs so far are around near my home, but looking to run more outdoors soon, always up for a run, but right now on the treadmill I run a speed on 9-10kph so don't want to hold others up if they run faster. When I got my bike yesterday, I was told to go ride the Flitchway, never seen it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:30 am 
Well, all I'll add is you seemed to have impeccable taste in motor-cars :) Until you sold it ;)

I even use a rack on my Treg though... Too much hassle dropping rear seat with child seats to move first, then still having to detach front wheel... And then there's the mud...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:35 am 
Welcome!!!!

Firstly as others have said congrats on your new found love for live and the weight loss!

I know there are a lot of XC rides that go on most weekends and if you fancy a faster pace of life (seeings as you do have an animal of a car!) then Danbury may also be your cup of tea getting on the more decent type riding!!!

Keep up the good work fella!

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:39 am 
Lol

Yeah I guess the mud isn't great inside...

The 400+ tax, pore mpg and lack of umph got me in the end, I love my M3, but it's not ideal for this. Just been on to BMW and the kit from them is only a little more than Thule and at least I know it will all fit great, so might bite the bullet, however if I get the Thule system, I won't have to change the bike carrier if I change car or Iit might fit someone elses roof bars, unless they are all universal fit?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:40 am 
Thanks Matt, I am definitely going to check Danbury out, its very local and I know it as been there many times with my son.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:27 pm 
Thankfully mine's still only 200 and something quid as pre-March '06.

I went for the 3.2 V6 and really like it but next time will hopefully get the 4.2 V8 when the time comes to trade up. A mate of mine has one and it's a sweet engine that also sounds great :)

Hard to say on the bars... Great to have 'proper' fit as saw one of the guys in that link I posted talking about a foot resting on roof, etc.. Worth checking out. A good point of call might be to pop into your Halfrauds as they tend to have everything there and can offer up, etc...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:35 pm 
Not a runner myself, used to do it but prefer the bike. Flitch way is good for getting some miles in (30 miles Braintree to Stanstead and back) but a bit boring and nothing challenging at all. You get onto it at the far end of the train station car park at Braintree or at Rayne.