Forum

Post subject: New to XC
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:20 am 
Hi all

I have just bought my first XC bike, already have a DH bike that i enjoy riding and am currently rebuilding(santa cruz V10 mk1), big ole girl but gets the job done ;)

If the bike arrives will be out on it this weekend and i can get my fitness up to a level were hopefully can join everyone for some rides as its never fun to ride alone.

I live in Laindon so its first test is going to be Laindon or onetree hills

Question is whats the best place to find places/routes to ride

Cheers

Tom

Post subject: Re: New to XC
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:30 pm 
Welcome along to the forum, what xc bike did you get in the end?

A lot of laindon hills area is a no go for riding unfortunately (get a slap from the rangers) but people do ride it in the evenings when no one is about. No real secret sections but still plenty of routes to ride.

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:46 pm 
Always thought Laindon was ok to ride , as you say I'm sure later in the evenings it should be ok

I went for the 2014 ghost asx 5100, looked like a good low/middle entry bike, can lock all the suspension out as well if I ride it on the road! The ghosts seem to get fairly good reviews and was in my price range!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:56 pm 
Hey mate I'm at steepleview, more or less laindon. I'll be up for riding out when your bike arrives. There are a few good little routes around one tree hill I found a few weeks ago.
You should sign up for mud sweat and gears race in September, that's at laindon hills :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:27 pm 
Thanks mate not far from you at all... That's sounds good currently having a bit of lifestyle change so will be good to get out an get fit!

I will have look into that one as only ever heard the name sounds like a good challenge tho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:37 pm 
Just had a look at the website.... Not the sort of thing I would have normally even thought of doing but for me would be a really good goal and mean two months of hard training... I seem to have this mad idea of doing the London to Brighton next year as well :$

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:41 am 
The Langdon hills MSG course is one of the best on the calendar, but hard work and rewarding. (might even do it myself again?)

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:27 am 
Laindon Hills MSG is the one event im set on doing this year.
I also wanted to do London to Brighton but missed out but i now have my roadbike so ill be booking for next years road events.

let me know when your about mate and we can get something arranged :)

Go for it VW.
What was the weather like when you did it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:41 am 
When I've done the races there I have been lucky and been dry. The last one I did was scorchio and suffered with dehydration but still managed to finish the 2 hrs quite well. Only thing that puts me off is starting so far back on the grid and getting stuck behind people on the singletrack.
It's got some brutal climbs but fun downs

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

Post subject: New to XC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:20 pm 
MSG races are fun, sure you get the serious racers in the hour race that should be in the two hour one.. But it's funny watching the roadies clipped in fall of at the first obstacles, and Landon has some good down hill sections, that catch out a few riders... Poor trees get it ;-)

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:48 pm 
Haha might just do it to watch the clipped roadies.... Pretty unfit at the minute so going to train hard for a month an see how I get on the apply! Sound silly but is there people pushing up the hills if there knackered or are most people quite serious.. Silly question I knew but want to know what to expect :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:11 pm 
I did one of the brass monkey winter races in Surrey last year and I have to say there was a real mix of people. Lots of xc wippets, lots of roadies that could not handle a bit of mud, a few normal middle aged guys that where there for fun. People pushing up the hills when knackered, more like the roadies walking down the hills as they were a bit slippy lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:59 pm 
That's good to know, think I might just sign up to give me the motivation... Are you doing it Matt?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:12 pm 
Have not signed up for anything yet (have not check dates) but did do the laindon hills msg 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:26 am 
Mattvanders wrote:
Have not signed up for anything yet (have not check dates) but did do the laindon hills msg 10 years ago.

10 Years ago Matt? I thought you were only 10 anyway...

:wtf:

Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I