Forum

Post subject: Newbie near Danbury
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:15 am 
Hi all

I am considering getting into mountain biking (again). I haven't been involved in off-road cycling, but have some experience (10-years ago BMXing, mountain biking in South Africa).

Considering I live only 5 miles away from Danbury, I thought I should take advantage of my surroundings and get involved!

I am really looking to improve my fitness, get back up to speed and hopefully increase my confidence to start jumping etc.

The MTB world (and equipment) has changed A LOT since I was last involved, and all the terminology etc is foreign to me now. Can anyone suggest a good starter bike to buy? Please be gentle with me – I really know nothing! For example, should I get single/dual shocks? I reckon I can get away with spending between 400 – 800 through Evans Cycles if that helps… I have a scheme at work through Evans cycles, which equates to approx.. 50% off so worth doing!

One thing I am wary of is not getting TOO simple a bike that will frustrate me in 6 months time!?

Thanks for any help!

Post subject: Re: Newbie near Danbury
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:30 pm 
Hi and welcome i am quite new to it all too and live in mayland, not too far from Danbury. The advice that was given to me was go for a hardtail (front suspension but no rear suspension) much easier to learn on and ride, especially in this area and with your budget you would get a very good hardtail going towards the higher end of your budget, anything under 500 is pretty much crap, a full suspension bike at the 800 mark new wouldnt be a very good bike you would have to double that to start getting a reasonable full suss. As for what make thats a matter of personal choice the list is endless. You looking for Hydraulic brakes at least 27-30 gears Eguipment you want to be looking for is shimano Deore xt, xtr, lx, slx, chainsets gears and front and rear deraillers these you will find on the better bikes along with fox, rockshocks, suntour forks. And i wouldnt worry about a 29er (29inch wheel) stick to the 26 for now. The more experienced will probably tell me im talking poo as im no real expert im just relaying the info told to me by all the bike dealers i visited on my search

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:49 pm 
Carl

Thanks for all the help mate, that is all very useful to me and confirms some of my thoughts about what to get. I'm quite confused as to the difference in different types of Rockshocks for example... seems to be so many different types on the market. I will have to research each detail a bit more carefully I think.

I actually live in Purleigh, so 5 mins away from Mayland! Are there good rides around our area? Where do you go? There is a really good offroad path running around the back of Purleigh that I have walked the dog down before... is about 4/5 miles long, as wide as a road (is used by motor vehicles throughout the summer), but looks like a fun road to tackle early mornings etc. Do you ever cycle around Maldon? saw the BMX-style pump track which could be a good laugh to hammer round (when the kids aren't there to laugh at my lack of skills!)

I am also interested in learning what others use for cycling in winter in terms of lighting / high vis gear etc. There are not many streetlights in Purleigh and it is on a bus route so want to ensure I get the right balance of lighting/gear to enable me to ride in the winter. (circa 6am in the morning time!).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:28 pm 
Hiya and welcolme on board!
Winter riding you say, get yourself some of these http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ssc-p7-3-mode-900-lumen-led-headlamp-bike-light-set-4-18650-50947 Or http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-94182 I have one of each, you'll be good to go anywhere over anything with these on!

--------------------------------------
Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:10 pm 
To be honest i dont know many rides around this area for two reasons 1 have only lived here 4 years and 2 i have only just got back into bike riding in the past couple of months so only really now the river path at the back of me where i take the dogs i have thought about going along it to maldon, i dont know of this BMX track you speak of but am willing to give it a go. So far i have only had a look around Danbury and a couple of rides at Thorndon, nothing major yet as im a ex smoking forty something in the process of building some stamina and fitness as it must be a good 20 years since i done any serious riding, so im tending to lean toward XC and Trail riding rather than the extreme stuff.

As for the forks and other equipment issue i wouldnt worry yourself over it too much as i found there is just as many different makes of bikes out there as much as there is different makes and quality of equipment on em. I found what 1 bike had another lacked so they where all much of a much really. You would get 1 with good front forks but not so good gearing or good gearing but not so good forks or rubish brakes etc in a given price range. You think its confusing now you wait until you start looking lol Its really a matter of choice at the end of the day, the right bike for the right job. I went to evans at lakeside with one of the other guys on here looking for a bike and i didnt think they had a great selection to be honest, Cycles uk in romford where better, better selection of more up market bikes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:34 pm 
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... c-11-42295

I'm sure Evans do the Hardrock and these guys gave it a good review, can upgardae forcks etc when you progress to need more once you wear it out or break it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:15 am 
Thanks for all the help so far! I think the specialized hardrock pro looks ideal. Great suggestion! I am going to pop into Evans at Holborn this week to see what they can do for me on it. Will let you all know how I get on. Hopefully see you around Danbury / Maldon soon!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:29 am 
I think they have a sale on 2011 bikes so maybe a good deal to go for that rather than 2012?