Forum

Post subject: Noob from Warley
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:32 pm 
Picked up a Cannondale SL4 a couple of weeks ago and started riding around Warley Gap and Thorndon which is very local. Starting to build my confidence over the small jumps. I used to ride Hainault a lot in my teenage years and loved the buzz of a fast downhill and the pain of falling into nettles. 20 years, 2 kids, and +5 stone later I realise my stamina needs a lot of work. Going to spend some time each weekend around Warley Gap practicing the routes and trying to get some air coming out of the craters.

I have some experienced contacts who posts a lot on this site. I've already be reprimanded for not taking the reflectors and bell off straight away. I think I've stripped the bike as much as possible.

Cheers
Phil Gevaux (Jevo)

Post subject: Re: Noob from Warley
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:41 pm 
Hey Jevo, welcome to the forum. Try to make it along to one of the weekend group rides. Everyone here's really friendly and there's some decent riding to be had in the area.

Best way to get better, ride with better riders and copy what they do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:16 pm 
Where and when?
Cheers
Phil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:54 pm 
Keep an eye on the rides section XC and trails there's normally someone wanting to go out but it's a bit early in the week for anything yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:02 pm 
Welcome Phil! :wave:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:49 pm 
Welcome mate I'm also new, will have to pick your brains as to were abouts the trails are in Warley, I'm just a few miles up the road. How have you found the SL4, its one of the bikes I'm thinking of buying..

--------------------------------------
I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:35 pm 
Compared to the heavy clanky Halfords bikes I used to ride this is a total dream. I'm 14 stone and can bunnyhop it easily ;-) I'm a long way away from telling the difference between a £500 bike and a £800 bike but so far I'm very happy with this purchase (I always wanted a shiney red bike). Got Evans to throw in some nice pedals from free (I think they are desparate to sell anything at the moment so haggle all you can).

I know where the craters are (I think they are called something else) and they are really fun. I think I need to gain the trust of the locals before they tell me where the good jumps they have built are.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:56 pm 
Hi Phil, bumped into you around Warley Gap on Saturday morning on an equally new (and de-belled, de-reflectored :) Rockhopper.

Cheers,
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:04 pm 
Paul, you're such a noob. I'll be back there on Saturday morning to get some more air. Need to stop using the brakes before jumps.

Cheers
Phil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:43 pm 
Hi Phil

I am a relative noob and ride over Thorndon, where does the Warley gap ride start, ie the entrance?

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:54 pm 
You'll find the entrance behind the Ford office carpark (near the old church).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:07 pm 
Ahh that's where I go anyway though that was part of Thorndon...