Forum

Post subject: Romford new boy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:15 pm 
Hi - I've never done any mountain biking and would like to get into it. I cycle into London a 1 - 2 time per week, so have a reasonable level of fitness. A friend of mine is lending me a hardtail for a couple of weeks. Is there anyone riding at either Epping or Thorndon this Sunday morning and who wouldn't mind showing a complete novice the ropes. Cheers, Tony

Post subject: Re: Romford new boy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:16 pm 
Welcome Tony,

It's also very important to bring some equipment, such as helmet, gloves, camel pack and/or water bottle, spare inner tube and puncture kit repair, pump, some energy bars, cash...You'll see how different is riding a mtb
I won't be there this weekend but keep an eye on the forum.

--------------------------------------
My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:30 pm 
Thanks for the advice. Think I have most of that stuff. I'll look out on the forum for any riders. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:44 am 
Hi mate and welcome. What sort of riding do you plan on doing? XC, Trails, Downhill, Jumps etc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:54 am 
Hi
You looking to buy a HT after loan has to got back is that the plan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:33 pm 
Hi there

I'm not sure of all the jargon, but not so interested in downhill and jumps as xc and trail. I'm doing this to continue losing some weight so the more exercise the better. I haven't a clue what type of bike I need. The plan will be to buy one about this time next year as I'm still paying for my road bike. I have use of a loan bike for a period of time so would like to try out xc and trail in the meantime. When I do buy, I'd like something that is best suited for local places like Thorndon, Epping, Danbury, Hainault but doesn't preclude me from using it on some more challenging locations. I'm not sure if I need a HT or full suspension, a 26 or 29er (I'm learning fast ;-)

Any advice gratefully received

Cheers, Tony

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:53 pm 
I was in the exact same situation as you, didnt know where to start. To cut a long story short I wanted to do xc (cross country) and trail riding and also to be able to ride on the road, I was asked where and what type of riding i wanted to do. The advice from every bike dealer was hardtail for around this area, which is a good starting point to learn your skills so i opted for a HT which is also better for road too as its lighter than a full suss and less effort to ride due to no flexing as you peddel unless you have a more expensive full suss where you can lock the shock out. 26 or 29er? most of the dealers i spoke to where of mixed feelings about them, some didnt know enough about them yet as they are quite a new idea (Their words) some said they are better on the road and bumpy ground due to the larger diameter wheel, but harder to get rolling but less effort to peddle once you got them going, others where convinced the wheels could buckle more easily, I played it safe and stuck to the 26. At the end of the day its personal choice but i dont think you will go far wrong with a 26 wheel HT for what you want it for.

But a lot of it will depend on budget anything under £500 for a HT isnt a lot of cop, you want lock out front forks hydraulic disk brakes, anything under a £1000 for a full suss isnt a lot of cop either. But £700-£1000 will get you a very good HT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:30 pm 
Welcome to the world of cow poo and stinging nettles, its a great place :)

I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:53 pm 
Dont forget getting lost and sinking in quick sand and falling off attempting jumps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:53 pm 
Thanks - really helpful

I start looking at a decent ht

i read a good review of the boardman (£999) but I have an aversion to halfords. anyone know anything about the mid range bike (not the carbon pro) but can't remember what it's called - maybe something ht

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:51 pm 
No no we got another fester :lol: only kidding

read this thread Festa was in the same situation you may find something helpfull

http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain ... t1110.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:26 pm 
See what you mean Carl. I could have written Festa's posts myself. Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:37 pm 
Haha yeah i almost drove carl over the edge on our shopping trips..

go into Cycles uk, they have a branch in Romford near the market, there a decent lot on there and have some nice bikes

http://www.cyclesuk.com/

I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:17 pm 
I agree

Post subject: Romford new boy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:49 pm 
I use cycles Uk in Chelmsford nice lot in their, had two bikes off them so far and all good. Also another really good shop is chelmer cycles. Friendly bunch and some cracking bikes. May be a trek for you but if good service is wanted then a bit of travelling may be required.

Agree on the halfrauds, boardman bikes are really good but the halfrauds reputation for bike mechanics and things is well documented on the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A