Forum

Post subject: The Long Return
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:33 am 
Hi to you all

My name is Matt and I have been away from biking for quite some time after a prolapse in my spine.

Now I have been given the go ahead to ride after several painful years and a serious loss of confident. Unfortunately the years away from riding have not been good to me and now a fitness shadow of my former self.

But now I am ready to get back to riding and I'm armed with a 2011 Santa Cruz Bullit. God bless the Cycle to Work scheme and my local LBS!

I live in the Chelmsford area so close to Danbury, Colchester, and other cool places to ride.

This return has taken many years and I hope I meet some new friends.

Here is a spec of my ride:

2011 Santa Cruz Bullit Large Frame with 2011 Fox Vanilla RC rear Shock
2012 Fox Van Fit RC2 180mm Forks
FW: Mavic 521CD (soon to be a EX729) on Hope BULB 20mm axle ubs laced DT Swiss Competion spokes
RW: Mavic EX729 on Pro 2 hub 150mm with DT Swiss Competion spokes.
Kenda Kinetic Tyres ( they were cheap)
XT 2003 Groupset with Clarks sealed cables
Hope Tech M4 203mm brakes front and rear
Straitline stem
Rental Fatbar 38mm rise
Fat Pig headset
Shimano DX60 pedals
Pro Koryak 30.9 seatpost
Battered Titec Beserker Saddle

Hope to see you soon and made biking as big a part of my life that it used to be.

Last edited by HolyMatt on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The Long Return
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:51 am 
Hey matt welcome, that is a shweeeet build. How are you getting on with the bullit?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:12 pm 
Its my first full susser for years and was recently riding a GT Zaskar Race. The suspension is super plush. The Fox 36 Van ( which to be honest will be arriving in the next few days but have ridden two days ago) will be a welcome edition. Currently using Marzocchi 2003 z1 drop offs. I've serviced them every 100 riding hours so they are as plush as the day I bedded them in! That was before Marzocchi started to have troubles inhouse!!!

The 180's will change the angle of the Bullit to a more DH stance but I am 6' 6" so it will be a better angle for me with having to have a ridiculous angle on both the stem and forks.

Very reluctant to change my hubs to Pro 2 as the BULBs are awesome. wished they kept them in the line-up. They are nice but the BULBs had better pawl engagement.

I have mixed feeling for Santa Cruz's decision to cease production of the Bullit as I believe single pivot is the way to go for consistent stroke performance and there is little to fail so better longevity. Orange's 224 is single pivot and a good bike, if a little too short for me!
Should have the 36 van's early next week and will let you know how I get on

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:10 pm 
Hello mate - super cool to see u wanting to get back riding - its such a buzz - love the bullits!!! Rode with a bunch of kiwis who swore by em and they are wicked fun to play or plow with.

Should be a fun bike out around Danbury - see you out on a ride soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:34 pm 
Have just had the best news ever. New 2012 Fox Van RC2 FIT 180's have arrived. Just have go and get them. Also got Straitline V-Wedge stem and renthal bars.

Once I have a weekend free, Danbury. Then probably A&E!!!!! Woohoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:43 pm 
Great story Matt, good to see ya so positive. You are welcome to come out with us mate, keep an eye out for local rides..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:26 am 
Cheers thanks for all the support .

Don't want to be seen as having all the kit just for show. Need it cause its strong enough to move my fat arse!

Fox's are now in and i'll fit them tomorrow. Still awaiting the Yellow spring (the toughest Fox do!) but the green will do for now.

Set up a little lower and more aggressive than I am used to but may be I need to change that as it was for comfort not for technical reasons.

Hope to see you out there soon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:10 am 
The Fox's are fitted along with the bars and stem so all as spec. They are HUGE!!!!! Last ones were only 130mm travel so a massive 50mm upgrade in travel.
Just a shame that its pissing down and I'm at work over the weekend.!

First stop will have to be Danbury me thinks. No bike rack though so will have to Tetris it into the car!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: The Long Return
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:41 am 
Welcome, build sounds awesome, get some pics up :)

--------------------------------------
"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"