Forum

Post subject: Yet another newbie!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:01 pm 
Just thought I would say hi!

I've just bought a mountain bike to get fit and lose a a little bit of weight. I haven't cycled in years, but want to get oht more into the fresh air and get fit so thought it would be a good way of doing it.

I didn't buy anything special, a Ammaco Genius. I'm going to attempt my first ride later this evening on it, I'll probably make it 10 fert before I fall off haha!

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Post subject: Re: Yet another newbie!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:57 pm 
Nice one Steve - how did that first ride go?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:43 am 
Welcome. and yes do let us know how you got on :)

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:10 am 
The first ride wasn't too bad, much easier/better then I was expecting. Nearly went over the handle bars a few times with the front brake, and nearly came off a few times, but all in all, I think it went well.

Without going into too much detail, I'm currently waiting for a knee operation, and the treadmill at the gym makes the pain a lot worse, along with too much walking, vibrations from cars/trains, etc, so I was worried about riding a bike. Didn't experience any pain in my knee while cycling or the day after, which I'm a bit shocked about TBH. When I get more used to it, the Epping forest rides aren't too far from me, so I'll be trying them out at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:08 pm 
:thumbup: Usually riding doesn't irritate your knees well not like running anyway! will also help build your legs muscles up around your knees too ! Nice weather for riding 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:32 pm 
I needed something that was easy on my knee, but I was shocked that I didn't have any pain afterwards as my knee is so bad at the moment.

I am trying to build up the muscles in my legs and around my knee as I'm hoping it will help the recovery time from the operation. The weather is great at the moment, not too hot either. Going to get the bike out later this afternoon!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:39 pm 
Yeah i know afew people that have had trouble with their knees so building up your leg muscles can only be a good thing ay! Gotta love this weather

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:28 pm 
Cycling only hurts when you fall off.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:37 am 
Hi,
Saddle sores , head aches from buying bits ,which bits to get ,does my rear look good in this issues.
As for well being , I needa knee replacement and cycling is only thing I can do and enjoy , trouble climbing stairs let alone wallking up hills .
lost a lot of weight but got to the bit where cakes got involved and seem to hit a wall.
A small suggestion would be to get couching to get thwe fall (Ha Ha ) benifits as then you will get more confident in riding and possibly less chance of injury ( until you thing your a world champ and do that bit too much and go back to the drawing board and then get bigger ,better faster bikes with the bling and go faster clothes and go on about bikes and rides and people .....
You get the picture health drug taking experience.....
Have fun and keep sdafe.
Faster you go the ground gets harder.
Bob

Post subject: Re: Re: Yet another newbie!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:17 pm 
Simon wrote:
Yeah i know afew people that have had trouble with their knees so building up your leg muscles can only be a good thing ay! Gotta love this weather

That's the plan! Building up muscle (not just legs but all over) and losing weight is my main plan. Managed to drop a stone in a month though!

unityjon wrote:
Cycling only hurts when you fall off.

Found that out already! Bit overconfident, tried to get up a curb, and didn't lift the front wheel enough. Nearly went over the handle bars, but smacked my pretty hard on the bars. First of many mishaps I think!

overtthebarbob wrote:
Hi,
Saddle sores , head aches from buying bits ,which bits to get ,does my rear look good in this issues.
As for well being , I needa knee replacement and cycling is only thing I can do and enjoy , trouble climbing stairs let alone wallking up hills .

Sounds like you knee is a lot worse then mine! Thankfully, I don't need a knee replacement, but I've got a big tear in my cartilage. I get a ridiculous amount of pain in my tendon just behind the knee because of it, and only when it really plays up I can't do stairs, hills, etc, and I can't imagine what it would be to have it like that all the time. Hopefully you get your operation soon.

I do need to get another helmet though as I can't find mine. Any recommendations on one?

I managed to get 5.9 miles today with an average speed of 8.7mph. Some fields, some tarmac, but really really please with that. Going to go again on monday and hoping to improve on that though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:34 am 
Bell do some nice helmets but as long as it fits and isn't cheap rubbish you cant go wrong really.

Charge Cooker 29

Post subject: Re: Re: Yet another newbie!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:41 am 
JimmyTheHat wrote:
Bell do some nice helmets but as long as it fits and isn't cheap rubbish you cant go wrong really.

Thanks for the reply. Is there much difference between a £30 helmet and a £80 helmet, protection wise?

My best friend is training for a triathlon and bought a helmet but it's too big so I took that of him, it's made by a company called Laser. Glad I got it though as I had my first proper fall from the bike a couple of days ago and ended up in a hedge. Worse thing is that I fell sideways into it!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:21 pm 
Not really, you pay for brand names, the thing to look for is a kite mark, that's the minimum requirement and it should last until you have a really bad / awkward crash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:56 pm 
Brilliant, thanks for that. I'll have a look for the mark when I get home from work tonight.

Planning on trying to do 10-15 miles tomorrow with some road/field riding so want to make sure the helmet is good first. The most I've done is 5.9 miles so I'm expecting it to be hard going!