Forum

Post subject: Ride Report : A week in welsh wales.
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:06 pm 
As people are planning trips here, i thought id write a report for the whole welsh trip.

Day One : Coed Llandegla

First time at Llandegla on the fs so riding all the black jump trails was the plan. It was dry but the trails had some puddles on, wind was full on. Llandegla is high up on a mountain top in the Welsh Mountains. It was running really well despite the puddles, in the first black section, i was blown 2ft away from where id intended to land. Rode the dirt jump trail this time, excellent line and its in the trees so wind not much of an issue here. Tables, filled in doubles jumps and berms all over the shop. Was windy when got to the 14ft high shore, although its wide but just as i went round the corner the wind died so I rode up and down it. Was nothing, its actually quite wide and the drop off (can be rolled) is easy. JJ's jump line was running really well though slightly puddley. The B-Line, probably the best trail at any trail centre ive ridden, Nice long raised woodwork section at the start that just inspires you to ride it quick then into great jumps, berms, doubles, step ups. Although the trail is split into two by an evil climb, erm i mean push. This trail really pushes you into going for it, because the gap jumps arent really gaps, theres a slight dip and a bit missing. In the final section the smooth jumps are replaced with rocky slabs and the fun continues and all linked up by huge berms to keep the speed up.

After a blast round, grabbed the fullface and hit the freeride trail, its great, Lots of big berms, big jumps, a gap jump with rocks in the gap, a huge tabletop made from tree trunks, a shore section (the only 3 dot section here i think) some mid-sized drops and a massive berm to finish.

Quick mention to the skills area here, theres a drops line goes from small to 2ft rock slabs, a berm line, two jump lines (one one dot and one two dot) a shore line with two options and it contains a few three dot features. Its better and more technical than most entire trail centres and its a perfect place to warm up for a ride or the freeride line.

Day Two : The Marin Trail.

The marin trail is utter shit. Dont ever bother going to ride this. The final descent is ok and theres a very interesting rock step section (which you go up!) and one interesting rocky section at the top. So much fireroad on this trail its utterly pointless. Kept thinking the end section would be amazing, it wasnt, ok but hard to keep flow going as the berms are shallow. Singletrack sections always seemed too short. Ill never ride here again and definately wont be buying anything by marin. Only good things are, amazing views across snowdonia and the car park is free.

Day Three : Llandegla again.

Hooked up with Faceplant off here and had an amazing ride. It had dried out almost completely. I drove away in what id worn to ride. Rode all the black and extreme trails. Great riding with you and good to meet you.

Whereas on Thursday there was a handfull of cars/vans in the carpark on Saturday both overflow carparks were full. The wind was almost none existent and the trails had dried out almost completely and the sun shone.

Day Four : Cwmcarn Uplift

Not much to add to what ninja and grin said. Was way more rocky than expected and took a few runs to get used to it. The tables at the end after the road drop in were the highlights for me. The first one was nice and smooth, 2nd one never quite got it right always seemed to throw you in an odd direction. The last one after the bridge drop was awesome. been hitting the smaller one and it never seemed right, throwing you up all over the places. Rolled the bigger one first then started hitting it with speed and was really good.

Had a really great day over there with the fellas. Bright sunshine, blue sky, dry trails. Got sunburnt and had a cough for a bit due to the dust. Loved the trails and wanted to carry on but vowed to return.
Missed one uplift due to a puncture after mounting the berm after the road drop after making an effort not to brake for this corner and use the berm to take the speed through the course. didnt work and punctured going over the back of the berm. Took this opportuntity to swap from a worn foldable high roller to a hard case tacky, high roller 2 on the back and this gave me loads more grip and gave me the confidence to start going slightly bigger on the first and last tables and going up the side of the kicker before the final bridge.

Loved the trail and the fact that it actually started from the top of the mountain, really awesome course. Great day and great company fellas.

Day Five : Forest of Dean Uplift.

Leaving wales for the day, did the uplift at FoD with the boys.

Epic, was almost totally dry and running so fast, was totally different to when we were there a few weeks back. The uplift felt so quick after the previous day at cwmcarn and rode all the uplifts.
Too many highlights to mention. Rode every trail except the oc. Theres a great table in the end section of endo. Found the little trail through from the start point to where the trail divides meaning you can skip the first bit of fireroad and ride from the start mound everytime to any trail.

Massive thanks to Si at flyupdownhill, he bent my chain device back into shape after casing a tree stump on landing a jump. Thought it was day over or a trip to the bike shop.

Cheers to the fellas for another excellent day out and good to see them flying down the trails.

Day Six : Afan - Glyncorrwg

Plan was to ride the whytes level and black, then either whytes again or skyline descent.

It wasnt raining on the day but the trails were wet. Rode up the climb, had a quick blast round the black, was running well and good fun. climb back up was as evil as ever, then left onto the whytes descent. Got to the end of the energy section and there was a diversion on. A fireroad climb back up and past the exit of the black then past the top of the whytes/skyline climb then fireroad to the skyline descent. This was wet too, but drier than last summer. Skyline descent was as amazing as ever, slightly gutted not to ride the final few sections of the whytes but this was a great replacement.

Back to the car and realised id bust a spoke so called it a day.

Day Seven : Cwmcarn

Got real wheel fixed first thing and as lots of people had been recommending the twrch trail there, a red xc loop plus had unfinished business with the table at the end of the dh.

Was another really hot day there and the trails were dry. Twrch trail was really good though the climb on two supertacky downhill tyres was hard work. Was really pleased to see the freeride section at the top. Wasnt what i was expecting at all, kind of Llandegla like with lovely progression. Took it easy first time, then hammered it twice, seriously good at speed, nice and flowy and good progression as the trail went on getting more technical and the trail features got bigger. Unfortunately punctured twice and called it a day after 3 loops as was down to last tube. Rest of the trail was excellent and completely dry. Final descent was fast a real opportunity to carve through the corners and keep off the brakes.

Got to the bottom to see the uplift was running, considered it but was shattered from the week. Swapped xc lid for fullface and pushed up the dh trail to the hip jump by the flag and went for the table at the end. 3rd run down, didnt touch the brakes from start point at flag and flew, biggest air ive had, scarred the shit out of myself, thought id stacked it badly but was in the air for long enough to correct it. (Body armour was in the car!) Went back to check the tyre marks and looked to be around 20ft. Excellent end to an amazing week.

A week in wales and only one days rain and one shit trail. Rode over 100km up and down them welsh mountains and twenty plus uplifts with great company. Big thanks to all those I rode with off here and all the people i met along the way. :high5:

Go ride Wales, its effin awesome. :D

Post subject: Re: Ride Report : A week in welsh wales.
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:21 pm 
Beardee ur turning into Steve Peat.... with a beard... maybe more Duncan Riffle.. he has a great moustache!

Awesome write up :high5:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:21 pm 
Sounds awesome and shows all the different types of riding that can be had without getting on a plane anywhere. Great write up too, but without any picture do we believe you?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:37 am 
Not fit to clean his bike, Jon.
Good tache that, had to do a search though.
Ta, hopefully will encourage some people to head over there.

Much more to be ridden over there, want to get to cyb, revolution, brechfa and festiniog when it opens.
picture of what? dry trails? tabletop? sh1t stains in pants?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:32 am 
AWESOME right up mate and respect for all the riding you are doing :thumbup: :

Very witty comment above too :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:11 am 
Nice write up sounds like a lot of fun

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:49 am 
I thought i might add my weekend experience of this weekend away in the welsh valleys...

First stop off was Cwm Carn, i have been there for an uplift before but was there for the red routed Twrch trail. Its a very techical steep short up hill slog to get to the top with a very fast and flowing down hill decent. Some small berms at the end section and other than the begining off the decent not too rocky. Quite a wide trail in places but still with only one riding line. Really good fun even with lots of heat.

Second stop of the day was at Afan for the skyline decent. If you have never been to afan you're in for a surprise on the climb. Its a 45 minute up hill slog, very technical and rocky but not steep, it seams to never end. First time you do it you will hate it, but every other time you will love it. First 15 minutes are the worsts. After a short fire road climb you will be on the shyline decent, starts quiet flat before getting very techical on a ribbon thin trail with rocks and drop off.

Second day entailed a road trip to Brechfa for the raven trails. Every one found this a bit disapointing, for some reason there seamed to be lots of steep up hill slogs and little down. It may be down to the fact that you have to do lots of ups and downs rather than just one big up like Afan. Trails were very smooth with either dirt or shingle covering (the shingles covering being very unforgiving on the table top jumps if all goes wrong). and vaires for thin as a super model to wider paths. When it does decend you will be rewarded with big berms and swooping lines. Don't get me wrong it is fun and there are some brilliant sections but we would not go back to Wales just to visit here.

Third day for the hardcore riders was back to Afan with the intent of riding the Whites, we forgot that part of the track was closed off so ended up doing half the whites, then fire road slog before getting down on the skyline trails. The whites are a real treat (even if you can only do only half of it). Rocky at the top with a mix of ribbon thin trails, board walk and wider trails with lots of swooping sections and fast flowing sections.

A top weekend in wales

Where we stayed
http://www.brynbettws.com/afan-dirt-park/

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:37 am 
Great write up and glad you had a good time!!!

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:48 am 
Glad you enjoyed it... loved the whites level when we did it..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:22 pm 
Ive gotta ride Wales.... Really sounds like a bit of me.

Cool write up as well ;)

SPS Santa Cruz V10c / Lapierre Spicy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:06 pm 
It was really good, 3 days riding is pushing it, found myself being a bit slower/reserved on technical bits on the last day but still lots of fun. Would be interested in doing 2 day long trips away at the weekends. Brechfa is still a good place to go and if it was local you would go at every possibility, it just there seems that there is a lot of sillily long hard climbs and there is no shop/cafe/showers there at the moment. Probably it did not help it was hitting 32 degrees!

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:13 pm 
Brechfa is not too far from where my parents live. Did the Gorlech not too long ago and it was ok. But like you said, a lot of ups and downs with the last down probably my favourite. There's lot of riding in that area though and further north if you're prepared to ride away from the purpose built trails. Always handy to have a local for that though. There is a pub at the start/end of the Gorlech and the people who run the shop in the village down the road sometimes have a tea van in the car park in summer months. It's not quite in the same league as Afan or Cwmcarn though, probably because it's a lot more effort to get to (bit of a drive from Camarthen/M4).
It's now going to rain in Wales for the rest of the year.