PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:40 am 
Glad to hear its building up
try to source postcodes for them all too

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

Post subject: Re: Swinley forest
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:19 am 
From mid september car parking charges are being introduced at the lookout / discovery centre / go ape. These will replace the permit to ride scheme so not a good time to buy a yearly permit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:11 pm 
Bulldozers are in at Swinley, turning it into a trail centre :)

From meeting -
Quote:
Swinley is a commercial forest run owned and by the crown estate. Mountain Biking was originally permitted on Fireroads and in the area defined as the Expert Mountain Biking area. However the trails have expanded outside of the original area to cover the forest.

Swinley Forest is home to 3 types of rare ground nesting birds, Natural England has designated Swinley a Special Protection Area and requested that clear felling take places to provide an environment for these birds, they've also requested that access is restricted to these area to avoid disturbing the birds.
CE has been subject to multiple liability insurance claims by individuals who have had accident on features on the unregulated trails.

Because of these 2 reasons (erosion is not an issue) CE have had to develop a plan to provide a sustainable method of permitting Mountain Biking, and have been in discussion with Rowan Sorrel for the past 18 Months who has devised the strategy for Swinley. Although members of BOB and Gorrick have been consulted, the plans suggested by BOB and Gorrick we not workble so the original plan has been actioned.

There will be 3 routes:

A green run for beginners and children, this is being developed with input from 2 local schools.

A blue run which will wider than singletrack, fast and flowy.

A red run which will be mainly technical singletrack with potentially some black features.

The Blue and Red routes will include some existing trails plus a lot of new tracks, where existing trails are used some work will be done to improve the surfces and flow.

There will also be a Downhill area by deerstalker/labrynth, and a free ride area in the Gully area.

Riding on all fireroads is still permitted

Apart from the above marked trails/areas, the rest of the forest is off limits. Wardens will use a soft approach to illegal riders, reminding them the only permitted trails/areas are permitted, however if this doesn't work thet may need to take further action.

Crowthorne Woods (bomb holes, corkscrew) are not included in the Changes to Swinley as it is Forestry Commission land, however FC are watching the development in Swinley to see how to proceed.

The permit scheme finishes in March, replaced with the carparking charge which applies to all vistors not just MTBers. The new trails will open in March 2013.
It is envisioned that the new Swinley Access Group (SAG) will help provide voluntery assistance to help perserve,maintain & develop the new trails. It is also stated that the current plans are not the end of trial development.
There is still a question mark over XC/Enduro racing at Swinley, as all events will be limited to having to use the new trails.

It should be noted that all users of the forest will be subject to control restrictions over the next few years, with new walking trails developed.

Map of the proposed red/blue trails :

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:26 pm 
Looks impressive, I'm hoping Hadleigh Country Park is sorted out soon :)

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:43 pm 
We rode there last week, amazingly dry, but i think they had taken down all the markers for the red route that the lady in the visitors center said to follow :roll:

Cant wait to go back and give it some, but its a long way to go to get lost ! LOL

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:16 pm 
Whats it like elevation wise, any DH bits ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:20 pm 
The DH bits are awesome fun, i have a youtube vid i could post, we only did 2 of them i believe there to be more.

Elevation wise, its like the surrey hills etc, i just couldnt get over how dry it was over there

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm 
Looking fwd to visiting again soon if I can and will be great when the trails are ready. Really like Swinley :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:50 am 
andydd wrote:
Looks impressive, I'm hoping Hadleigh Country Park is sorted out soon :)

will be finished before Hadleigh starts :evil:

VW-surfbum wrote:
We rode there last week, amazingly dry, but i think they had taken down all the markers for the red route that the lady in the visitors center said to follow :roll:

Cant wait to go back and give it some, but its a long way to go to get lost ! LOL

eh! there no signposts at Swinley, apart from the 10 or so numbered junctions. Thats what makes it a great place, always new bits to find. :)

andydd wrote:
Whats it like elevation wise, any DH bits ?

Its the 'expert mountain bike' area on all the maps and is the easiest bit to find in Swinley.

Labyrinth, deer stalker and the babymaker are the three main ones but theres more around. Berms and tables on labyrinth and deer stalker, doubles / gaps, berms on babymaker. 3 great trails.

Grin wrote:
Looking fwd to visiting again soon if I can and will be great when the trails are ready. Really like Swinley :)

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:32 pm 
Been to Swinley a few times and really like the place, though hardly been around the expert area, usually because I've been to busy exploring.

Does anyone know if the lookout and the trails at the expert area will be open over the festive period?

Dallas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:14 pm 
Expert area easiest bit to find, one of the few trails on the map from the lookout.

http://www.gorrick.com/swinley/
trails open all the time, look out centre closed xmas day and boxing, searching suggests might be closed xmas eve too, give em a bell if in doubt...

got a pic/pics of the new stuff they're building, will dig it out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:43 pm 
Good swinley edit here

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/S ... tlights%29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:20 pm 
Really looking forward to going here as i get a full day midweek every week and its only 1hr from work!

trees dont move!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:36 pm 
luvinit wrote:
really looking forward to going here as i get a full day midweek every week and its only 1hr from work!

not much further that from the east end, mate :)

let me know when your going if you want showing around...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:47 pm 
beardee wrote:
luvinit wrote:
really looking forward to going here as i get a full day midweek every week and its only 1hr from work!

not much further that from the east end, mate :)

let me know when your going if you want showing around...

cheers very much will do! im off sick atm but back to work 28th my clear day is 31st!

trees dont move!