Forum

Post subject: Re: Thetford Winter Series 2011/12
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:24 am 
Wait- you're telling me that brake pads can get worn out in 10 miles????

Motocross brake pads last longer than that!!!
Surely these things must be made out of chewing gum? If I start wearing out brake pads I think I'll have to put the bike back in the garage, pads are about £20 per brake aren't they?

Anyway, really enjoyed the course- nice for a returning rider like me.
Except for the cramps....

--------------------------------------
2 wheels good, 2 wheels + engine better!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:33 am 
Combination of water, mud and sand wears them out. Many people needed new drivetrains after d2d last year.
Sintered are the best for winter riding.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:46 am 
Seriously, I can't afford that! £22 entry, £25 petrol and then £xx on cosumables?

I thought cycling was the cheap alternative to motorbiking! Damn...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:53 am 
Sintered pads are 28 qiud for 4 sets on Superstar components site.

FWIW, Ive 'raced' at Thetford a handful of times and only wrecked the pads once, d2d 08. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:13 pm 
That and im a scare mongerer lol
I wouldn't trust me!

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:18 pm 
I take it your pads were fine yesterday Jon? Great conditions meant no worries with brakes or drivetrains, thankfully.

Sorry I missed you during the day - I did spot you at your hard-to-miss Mito as were leaving but I wasn't the driver yesterday, and we had orders not to hang about too long! Looks like you did well, despite the cramp...

I had a great time for a first race. Vibe was nice I thought and it was a good, if pedally course.

I ended up placing 7th in my category. That's the 'not actually very hardcore' two lap/one hour-ish cat. Very slow first lap because of the ridiculously long queues to get into the first singletrack section and lots of 'follow the leader' through the trees because of the lack of many overtaking opps. But really enjoyed it and will definitely do more...

Might be too much to expect the weather to hold for all of the remainder of the Series, of course...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:06 am 
I did the first round of the winter series, was good fun and conditions seemed to be pretty perfect as the dampness kept dust and sand out of my brakes and drivetrain.

was my first race so was a bit nervous, but the atmosphere was pretty good =and i had quite a lot of fun so im definately doing the second round in december

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:11 am 
I looked st some of the pictures, I was surprised how clean everyone was and how good the conditions were

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:19 am 
I've already confirmed my place at the 2nd race and will probably do the same for rounds 3 & 4 this weekend.
My bike was fine; good as gold for an old girl!

I started getting cramp from about 1hr 20m in so it all went wrong from there... ..on the bright side it should give me room for improvement!
I don't do any cycling but do exercise regualrly, albeit rarely more than an hour at a time. I think the poor old legs weren't used to the longer duration so they gave up massively. Pathetic really... sitting on the floor rocking back and forth. Not a good look.

My goal is to finish in the top half of my cat, so a LOT of work to do!
Phil and Jmac, where are you based? I'm in Hornchurch and go A12, M25, M11,A11. Maybe we could meet up en route and get parked together? I don't tend to hang around long after either, but might be nice to have a bit of company whilst we're getting ready?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:12 am 
Hi Jon

Booked my place (along with the friend I was with at the weekend) last night too, so we're in for Round Two. We're in Great Dunmow, so we join the M11 at Stansted/Birchanger and then take A11.

Very happy to look at meeting at Birchanger next time round - only thing is, we left reeeally early (7.30am) to get to Thetford as registration opened at 8.30. Was very chilled out and gave us plenty of time to grab coffee, get stuff sorted and do a pre-ride without rushing. So I think we'll aim to do that again (another advantage is that we parked very close to the coffee van/vendors/start/finish because we were among the first to arrive) - if that's too early for you to leave Hornchurch I'd understand!

At the very least, could meet you when you arrive for joint prep/pre-ride - I'll PM you my details now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:41 pm 
Yea, i agree itd be good to have some company. im from bishops stortford. i got there a bit late for the last time so itd be good to get there early like jmac said and chill out. ill work out how to pm you my details. need to book my place in the next race too

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:09 am 
Morning all- how's everyone feeling about this Sunday?
I'm pleased to say that I've managed zero time on the bike since the last race... ..but have completed 2 spinning classes. In a month.

Hmmm. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail and all that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:53 pm 
Round 3 fully booked. Still places available for round 4. Amazing!

My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:21 am 
Can't wait !, had a bit of a stinker in Rd 2, was off ill for the 3 weeks leading up to it...... so hopefully back to form next time !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:32 pm 
I'm already booked into rounds 3 & 4 and have bought a new bike. It won't make me any faster but hopefully it'll be a bit more comfy over the 2 hours.

Hoping to squeeze in a ride or two over the Xmas break, and a friend of mine might be doing the Brass Monkey's round in Jan so may do that, too.
Don't get me wrong, I'm really slow and unfit but I just enjoy the whole racing setup of racing!