Forum

Post subject: Twrch Trail
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:25 pm 
Might have to head over to Wales for a little bit of work either this coming Saturday or the next and was thinking of throwing the bike in the car and doing the Twrch trail in Cwncarn afterwards and possibly Cafall depending on time constraints. Anyone ridden Cwncarn before, any pointers?

Of course if anyone wants to tag along too, you're more than welcome :) Not fully booked up yet so can be flexible on which Saturday is chosen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:28 pm 
Ooh if you do them tell us what they are like, not done the cafall trail but have done the Twrch before, the later has a nice long climb at the start, typical Welsh style, will be back there in Dec, so hope the snow stays away a bit

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------
Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

Post subject: Re: Twrch Trail
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:45 pm 
Done both before, cafall is the better of the two but twrch is still fun (just a bit old skool). Both are hard and technical on the climbs which I like but it can put you off the ride if you are unaware of it. Expect a good 45 mins climb to start with for both. Decent are good fun, single track roller coaster. Have you ridden Wales before?

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:24 pm 
Thanks for the info. This will be my first time in Wales riding, I like the sound of the twrch trail and think it should be a good (possibly solo) adventure decent bit of elevation but only 10 miles long which will work better with the time I have there. If I have time left over may try cafall but can see having to end up cutting it short. Plus its the closest to where I will be, so plan on saving BPW for another social day or weekend away in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:43 pm 
Bpw is a must on any bikers list!!I've been twice and going again in 2 weeks.its a great place to progress as well!

Anyway I rode the twrch quite a while ago and remember the climb to quite long and arduous but it was worth it for the flowy decent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:15 pm 
PabloGT wrote:
Thanks for the info. This will be my first time in Wales riding, I like the sound of the twrch trail and think it should be a good (possibly solo) adventure decent bit of elevation but only 10 miles long which will work better with the time I have there. If I have time left over may try cafall but can see having to end up cutting it short. Plus its the closest to where I will be, so plan on saving BPW for another social day or weekend away in the future.

Yea but the top part after the long first climb on the Twrch trail then has a load of small DH runs and the MASSIVE berm at the bottom, so play around on them for a while then do the rest of the trail

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:12 pm 
What are you riding Pablo? Having ridden the Twrch trail on my alu HT I'd certainly recommend a little travel at the back to fully enjoy the CwmCarn trails, unless boneshaking is your thing... It's not as groomed as many of the BPW trails or Afan. I've heard better things about the Cafell trail but having not ridden it cannot comment.

Road/Mud/Uphill/Downhill/Airborne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:06 pm 
Thanks. Yeah I have some rear squidge on my Sensor so should be OK :)

Been doing some research and there may be a diversion in place on Twrch due to logging of infected trees. So I may end up doing Cafall first/instead if that's the case. Going to give it a go tomorrow, should be starting the ride off around 12 noon if all goes to plan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:23 pm 
Well it didn't all go to plan. Ended up setting off at 2.45pm, I knew I was running it close with daylight and had no lights. There was a diversion on Twrch so ended up going up Cafall. As expected there is a decent switchback climb to start, then it goes down then back up to the highest point before the decent proper. By the time I got to that point it was getting dark under the trees so ended up cutting Cafall short to do Pedalhounds which was a more direct way back down :)

Nice mix of rocky bits and hardpack and chunky roots. Defo recommended. I wish I had more time there to do more of what was on offer. I took a pic of Twrch from Cafall and you can see where they have chopped all the trees down

And this may be useful for anyone planning a trip in the near future

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:59 pm 
Sweet, cheers for this. We will be doing it on Dec 3rd...

See if the blue skies are still about then LOL

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:20 pm 
Oooh! Could be tempted to return if the weather is good :)