Forum

Post subject: Afan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 am 
Hi All,

I'm riding White Levels for the first time in 2 weekends time and was wondering if it is best to wear legs guards? Also this maybe a random question but how often should a mtb helmet get replaced. Got back into riding a year ago and have been using my old one which is probably getting on for nearly 10 years old. It's not got any chips etc in it and can't recall dropping it but would you suggest replacing it?

Sorry if these questions are pretty stupid to ask

Thanks
Rob

Post subject: Re: Afan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:57 am 
They are good Q's Rob, there subjects get tossed around slot up the pub. I would say defo change the helmet as new technologies and better plastics are lighter and stringer than 10 yrs ago. The pads debate will go on, I personly want to protect myself as much as poss, it's silly not to. If I'm doing CYM carn and afan I always wear knees and elbows and decent gloves. I've been riding properly for around 8 yrs and have seen some bad stacks. They would have been worse if the riders hadn't worn protection. Some of my mates even pad up to go Thorndon and Epping etc..but it's down to personal preference at the end of the day....!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:33 pm 
I'd wear what's comfey vs the risks you're taking, for 'easier' pedaly days i wear light knee pads and full on plastic knee and shin for dh, but if your happy to pedal in big pads why not? I used to and they saved my shins loads of times from pedal slips

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:19 pm 
Hi Damo and Anselm,

Thanks for the responses, think it will be well worth investing in a new helmet and maybe some lightweight shin and knee guards. Have been to epping a few times with a couple of mates but need to get into a group that ride regularly at weekends to help build my confidence again.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:22 am 
Hi Rob
id say deffo with pads on the way down from whites, some awesome sections but also some very pointy rocks!!! Just take your time and enjoy it mate, you may not want to do the black run straight away but it is good, just watch out for the large rock at the end :-)
Im always over epping just shout if you wanna join us on a Sunday.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:02 pm 
Robs2211 wrote:
. Got back into riding a year ago and have been using my old one which is probably getting on for nearly 10 years old. It's not got any chips etc in it and can't recall dropping it but would you suggest replacing it?

Pads are a very personal thing - if you feel you need them, wear them - if not dont.

Id replace the lid tho as I think the polystyrene they use degrades over time 5 years max id say.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:29 pm 
BTW my spelling isn't that bad...bloody predictive texts....!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:59 pm 
Right, Defo pads, how much padding is up to you, New helmet def needed as said above about degrading and better technology now.
On the whytes climb, it can be a bit technical, the other week i saw people doing it without the helmets on! idiots! like said above there is rocks and sharp ones at that so dont be duped into thinking you dont need to pad up just because your on a climb!

In Feb when i was there i did Whytes on my hardtail, i was too focused on zooming up to the top not paying attention, i banged my bars on a rock that was jutting out from the left, luckily i just bruised the top of my hand, but if my bar end wasnt there i would of broken my hand for sure! :lol:

Any way enjoy your trip, Whytes is fantastic fun, and if you get time, do the wall as well, or if your feeling fit, do the W2 ;)

--------------------------------------
Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:03 pm 
Hi All,

Sorry for the late response. Been in the USA so not be able to check the forum

Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like a shopping trip for a new helmet will be in order this weekend. Now considering getting a pair of 661 lightweight knee and shin guards. Has anyone else ridden in these?

Very much looking forward to Afan if not at the same time a little scared as not had much time out on technical rides. It will all be worth it though and i will for sure be joining you guys on rides around Epping and further a field to.

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:59 pm 
I used to have 661, good protection but always slipped for me, I find Raceface good, but different pads suit different legs, trial and error unfortunately to find your best fit, you get a good feel in a shop but best to try for a little while so ideal if you can borrow some from a mate for a quick ride before buying - I guess shops don't like exchanging sweaty pads!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:23 pm 
So it looks like Afan is off for this weekend but have now been told we are heading to the Mendips. Anyone done any riding here? We are heading to the Xmas Tree Trails and a few others within that area.