Forum

Post subject: Always wear a helmet
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:06 pm 

could of been my face that broke instead

Post subject: Re: always wear a helmet
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:04 am 
AMEN TO THAT!!!!

Nothing is worth saving more than your head!

How did you manage to do that then?!

--------------------------------------
Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:12 am 
On the approach to what i know as the 'ski jump' at Danbury, approached with too much speed and landed in a heap at the bottom head first, i forgot how steep the drop in was and over shot it.
I was rewarded with concussion which i still in effect, a split lip, cut chin and the biggest winding ive ever know. on the plus side i now know i have an extra inch of travel on the forks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:39 am 
Ahhh yeah that's quite a steep drop into that jump isn't it! I do like that section apart from nearly taking my head off every time on the tree the other side!!

A good advert for wearing a lid and more importantly, apart from a few marks glad to see your up and in one piece!!!

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:43 am 
I've seen a few times guys doing the Danbury jumps without helmets..... You can always replace a broken helmet!!!!!!

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:03 am 
2 off the guys i was with were helmetless, hopefully that will make them think before next trip. I keep finding new aches and pains but nothing broken so will be out riding again this weekend :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:40 am 
I don't know how people ride that place helmetless!!! Ive seen people going full bore down the DH on nice DH bikes, It's a shame all that money on a bike and they don't spend out on a helmet! IDIOTS!

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:32 pm 
Ahh doing yourself in at Danbury... You have joined an exclusive winded at club, not sure if I was in the same part as you but a few months ago I stacked it at Danbury. Got a bruise around my eye from my dull facer and really winded my self and later realised I had broken three ribs.

Like you, it definitely made me realise the value of helmets, hitting the ground that hard was a real shock. I lost some vision for about and hour. I had a troy Lee D2 and before I did this I found it very hard to justify investing any more. Now I am saving for the best there is ( once I have figured out what it is).

Nigel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:47 pm 
Get a TLD D3 carbon!!!!!!!!!!

I have a composite D2 and a Carbon D3.........i tried on the D2 after wearing the D3 a lot recently and its feels lighter, more comfortable, more protection and they look the nuts too!!!! I got mine reduced as it was an older colour ways but if you see one within your budget do not hesitate!

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:22 pm 
Last time I was at danbury I got a safety 'briefing' from a guy about the dangers of riding clipless. When he was done explaining the many hazardous things about what I was doing, he set off down the DH runs without a helmet. He hadn't even brought one along :wtf:

Glad to hear your head survived though!

Which bit is the 'ski-jump' bit?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:39 am 
chris321 wrote:
Last time I was at danbury I got a safety 'briefing' from a guy about the dangers of riding clipless. When he was done explaining the many hazardous things about what I was doing, he set off down the DH runs without a helmet. He hadn't even brought one along :wtf:

Glad to hear your head survived though!

Which bit is the 'ski-jump' bit?

I hate the flat pedal warriors!!!! No offense as i run flats too but don't lecture people on clips! They have their uses and for racing etc they are better! Grrrrrrr........

The ski jump is in the main bomb hole. As you walk up the hill to the left their is a jump that has 2 lips, one which is on the back side of the landing and the other which is slightly further back. The landing then shoots you through the main bomb hole.

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:27 am 
Nige have you healed yet fella? A few weeks ago i did a classic. You know the bombhole you stacked in, well i jumped out of it, must have come down a bit pissed and completely washed out on damp leaves. The end result was a sprained ankle, badly cut knee and also a bruising on my chest and shoulder and of course winded which was awful. Its so bad you think somethings badly wrong, horrible....! I organised a ride over there last week, 5 of us turned up but i forgot my helmet. A mate had a spare xc lid in his car but no way, i just went home..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:23 pm 
I have dropped into that hole a bit too enthusiastically before and ended up slamming on to my shoulder, so glad i had my 661 pressure suit on as i could still ride that day!
another mate stacked into a different bombhole which is to the right initially then the far left with a booter out of it and he landed on his face with his feet skidding above his head so glad he had a full face on that day!

i'd never consider riding down there not protected.

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:13 pm 
Hi Damo - was recovering well and was prime for a progression session on the big bike at Woburn. Second more aggressive ride since the Danbury fall.

Got there, Bike built everything ready and in twisting and pulling my left elbow pad on one of the ribs crunched and rebroke or recracked. So packed everything back and drove home.

Oh well bit more resting time

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:59 pm 
Heal up nige, them elbow pads are really dangerous!