Forum

Post subject: And today I learnt how to whip
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:30 pm 
That is all I wanted to say!

Very happy :D :thumbup:

So fun 8-)

Post subject: Re: And today I learnt how to whip
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:57 pm 
Nice - ive no idea - how did you break it down?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:12 pm 
Nice one mate,

--------------------------------------
"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:15 pm 
I'm no ghost rider yet... But I did this- based on the rear going to the right.

Looked at lots of pics of people whipping. ESPECIALLY the take off part or just after.

Approach the jump (for this I used the small bomb holes with a small kicker near the top of the runs at Danbury) with enough speed that you can get enough air to clear about at least 1.5ft.

As your front wheel clears the lip begin to ready yourself to push round with your rear most left foot.

When the rear wheel is just leaving the lip twist in a real dynamic way moving your body weight to sort of kick round the rear.

As you begin to land (and I can't go to a whip and straight on- I turn a small bit to face the left) face ahead and as your front wheel touches the ground try and return the rear before the back wheel lands.

I'm getting to about half way to being dead on 90• but I reckon you need a lot of air and balls to manage a "proper" full on whip.

Still they all started small like I have managed so far.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:47 pm 
Nice! I've been trying on that jump too, but overcooked one, landed a bit sideways and smashed my shin so it put me off a bit. I was starting the whip with my upper body - turning the bars then twisting my hips and pushing with my feet. Is that the way you do it?

I used to be a lot like you but now I'm only me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:25 pm 
Definitely not turn my bars on the 'whip out' That seems well sketchy. I do shove the bars to the right laterally but not turning on the return.

I figured that you need to keep your mass going the direction you want to end up going and move the bike underneath you.

I also think that doing torso stretches and twists will help massively.

The whip looks and feels like it is dictated by time in air and suppleness of the body.

It also starts with just thinking "DO IT" and just trying it out.

The hardest part is the return. As soon as I figure out how to straighten back up perfect from by halfway to 90• mark I'm going to try the full 90• whip.

Next thing to learn is going to be the handle bar turn in the air but not a spin.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:47 pm 
Will try NOT moving the bars tomorrow then! Turning the bars to the left, I do end up landing slightly to the left which can be slightly sketchy.

Since smacking my shin, I do find myself holding back now - will give it the balls out approach tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:52 pm 
trax wrote:
Nice! I've been trying on that jump too, but overcooked one, landed a bit sideways and smashed my shin so it put me off a bit. I was starting the whip with my upper body - turning the bars then twisting my hips and pushing with my feet. Is that the way you do it?

You should take tips from me steve ;)

I seem to turn my bars and the whole bike just kicks out, and then I straighten up and the bike follows.

"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:13 pm 
I wouldn't take tips from you on how to jump straight - you even confused Jedi with your unplanned whipping!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:58 pm 
It's all trial and error....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:57 am 
I can't whip big but I DO kinda turn the bars, I initiate going a little left on the lip, them on the air dropping the left hand and so turning the bars left a bit, turn the torso left and push the bike right with my left foot which I have back and then turn the bars and body back towards the landing and the rest follows. I find it the same as a hip except for the last bot to bring it back but I guess to get then close to 90n degrees is a bit harder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:43 am 
Another way to learn,

get a twig, stick it into floor, ride alogn side of it, front wheel pass, then try just lifting back wheel up and out to nock it over, and each tiem get slightly further away, then try a few in bunny hops before taking it to a jump

http://www.adambannermedia.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:02 pm 
Its all in your arse to get the bike back in.
I can whip well beyond 90 now.
I find that if I moto whip (twist the bars so that the bike is in line with the bars) I always land a bit wonky. But if the bars stay straight, i always land straight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:36 pm 
trax wrote:

Hey Steve I was trying to whip on that jump and finally got it dialled. I just take off, go high and turn body and bars to the left till 90 and the turn back, but I don't come in straight yet :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:37 pm 
Brad wrote:
trax wrote:

You should take tips from me steve ;)

I seem to turn my bars and the whole bike just kicks out, and then I straighten up and the bike follows.

Yes Bradley I know after following you down trails