Forum

Post subject: Bamboo bikes!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:54 am 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15198952 interesting. Wonder what the durability is like!

Post subject: Re: Bamboo bikes!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:21 am 
Considering they use the same material as scaffolding in China, I would say very strong..but imagine the splinter your get crashing into a rock... Ouch :? :? :? :?

--------------------------------------
Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:27 pm 
I'm involved with the company (as well as Chasing Trails, my day job). Durability of the bike is really good. Obviously I would say that, but as far as facts go the frame has been tested to the BSEN standards, if that's the correct initials. The usual ones thoguh. It passed easily & the testing facility was told to test to destruction. However, when they'd done twice the number of cycles required to pass they took it off & returned it as they had other stuff to do. So we know it's good!

The ride is the main thing. They accelerate really well, hold their speed really well & are also more comfortable than any hardtail I've ridden. I've had the bike in the air, down steps etc & no problems so far.

The BBC article has one or 2 errors for the pedantic! It's the 1st UK bamboo bike for a while, although there were a fair few 100 or so years back, which we were keen to point out at the Cycle Show! Also, I have a feeling that some of the UK engineers were not aware of some of the other brands, althoguh some were. The UK bike has a whole lot more technology than any of the other brands out there.

Hope some of that's of interest,

Steve

www.chasingtrails.com

www.bamboobike.co

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:38 pm 
Ah thanks for the info! Feel free to send us one for and extended test;-) This must have appeared in Google pretty quick for you to find us!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:54 pm 
How would it fair as a full suss im wondering?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:40 pm 
A couple of people at the show asked when we were making a full suss, it's unlikely to be soon though. The HT gives more comfort than I've ever found in a HT but without the downsides usually found with comfy HT's. Efficiency & comfort don't usually go together. It's purely the properties of the material that allow this.

Oh and yes Google did appear to pick this up pretty quick! Don't know about an extended test (no harm in asking!), but you can get a demo ride at one of the places shortly to be listed on the website. The one I know off-hand is 22nd Oct at Dalby Forest, as that's my local trails.

If you fancy that, email from the bamboo bikes site for details & info or other dates.

www.chasingtrails.com

www.bamboobike.co

Post subject: Bamboo bikes!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:06 pm 
We could give it a good season in Epping then upto Danbury to test it's strength...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:01 pm 
Eccles wrote:
ah thanks for the info! Feel free to send us one for and extended test;-) This must have appeared in Google pretty quick for you to find us!

The forum has some dynamic SEO optimisation going on - stuff gets picked up pretty quick by the crawlers! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:37 pm 
Saw the Bamboo bike at the Cycle Show at it's solid as any steel bike. Looks really good. Waiting for it to come out in another colour other than natural ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:38 pm 
It's a possibility! Maybe beetroot colour?

www.chasingtrails.com

www.bamboobike.co

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:05 pm 
chasingtrails wrote:

I was thinking more of a mahogany or american walnut :D

Hope you bring out a road bike for commuting- that will be ace.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:00 pm 
SteelAl wrote:
chasingtrails wrote:

I was thinking more of a mahogany or american walnut :D

Hope you bring out a road bike for commuting- that will be ace.

We may well offer colours, we'd prefer to use natural colours & it would be an add-on option, but there may well be a good range available.

And we will be offering other models in the future. A full on lightweight race bike may be on the cards but this won't be released until we know we can offer the kind of weights people will expect. A commuter bike will be sooner. IMO a MTB with slicks is ideal for commuting though...

www.chasingtrails.com

www.bamboobike.co