Forum

Post subject: Camelback or gels ? What pedal shoes combo?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:42 pm 
Ive just started out doing the open msg xc races. I use a camelback as its just handy and holds the tools i need in aswell. Ive noticed alot of riders dont use the camelback they are using gels what are peoples thoughts on these? . I was thinking about maybe getting a saddle bag for tools ie multi tool co2 and tube and just using the gels. Does anyone have any thoughts on this and would it benefit my racing in anyway being a beginner?

Also managed to break my pedal at the last race so was wondering the overall opinion on shoe and pedal combo and would flats or clipped in type be better ?

Post subject: Re: Camelback or gels ? What pedal shoes combo?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:52 pm 
Gels are generally for energy boost and to replace lost salts. To replace fluids most riders carry a bottle and maybe have someone to give out replacements at the feed station. The reason most don't use Camelbaks is because of sweating. Stick your tools in a saddle bag. I generally do the MSG's with a water bottle with energy drink in it. Don't bother with gels and have to survive on the one bottle.

Pedals and shoes are a person all preference thing. I've used SPD's for a very long time but they still catch me out occasionally but they are better for power transfer than flats.
Other riders will be better for giving advice regarding flats.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:29 pm 
How long you racing for? Forget tools yours never that far from carpark or drop toolkit at startline.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:12 pm 
^^Wot he said ^^ ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:07 pm 
You can get proper small 1.5 litre camel packs which should be more than enough and a odd spare or two, when I did a brass monkey I'd wished I'd had something similar rather than a 3 litre all day pack. Again the gels are for energy, you can et some with caffeine built in as well which work brilliantly :wtf: a little too at times

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:43 pm 
Fill your camelbak with Redbull and fly round.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:54 am 
I know where you are coming from regarding sweat as my back is drenched by the end of it lol. they are only 1 hour races. in spds is it that you are locked into the pedals so basically if you stack it the bikes still attached to your feet?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:12 am 
If you considering SPD' s have a look at ones with bars like the mavic (taken over from time pedals) or crank brothers, easier to get out of and nearly always seem to detach in emergency situations, also offer more movement between foot and pedal preventing a forced / unnatural riding position and kinder to your joints.. Persevere with them and don't listen to the flat pedal lovers..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:00 pm 
I don't ride clipped in anymore and have a set of crank bros mallet pedals and cleats you can borrow to get a feel. Loved them for years until I went OTB clipped in and had my teeth glued back together. I've been riding flats with SPD shoes they inspire confidence and feel good because of the stiff sole I'll go 5 tens when the shimano dx? Die

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:25 pm 
Thanks for the offer but have tried out some clipless pedals and shoes today and it has made my mind up . Have also been given some pedals so just need to get shoes sorted . What shoes would you recommend for xc these are the pedals
[imgHave been given these peddles have no idea what make etc they are but just need to get a pair of shoes now. Just wondering if anyone could point be in the right direction towards a good pair.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:41 pm 
Those are Shimano PD-M545's. Good pedals if a little lacking on the mud shedding capabilities, they have a bit of a platform, which is handy if you can't clip straight in.
I use these pedals: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m530 ... il-pedals/ and have for a good few years. Only now is slight play developing in the bushings but seeing that price it will be cheaper for me to get a new pair (get some spare cleats that way as well) rather than servicing them.
I use Shimano M088 Shoes, mid-range and fine for most trails and the odd race. Have previously used a couple of other Shimano shoes and never had any problems with them. Also had a pair of Nike Poo-Bah (I think they were called) back in the day. Still go them I think, the only things the wore out were the laces and the cleats!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:21 am 
Gels make me feel queasy :-(

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:12 am 
Gels give me wind...not in a good way

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:59 am 
I love my osprey hydration pack but wouldn't use it for racing. The less weight the better.
I've never used gels but will have to grab a few

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:54 pm 
Bingham wrote:
Ive just started out doing the open msg xc races. I use a camelback as its just handy and holds the tools i need in aswell. Ive noticed alot of riders dont use the camelback they are using gels what are peoples thoughts on these? . I was thinking about maybe getting a saddle bag for tools ie multi tool co2 and tube and just using the gels. Does anyone have any thoughts on this and would it benefit my racing in anyway being a beginner?

Those are short, fast paced races
For me bottle with energy drink and a spare bottle in the feeding area just in case. 1 gel at start and another just in case. I don't bother with bananas or energy bars that take time to digest.
For tools I don't normally take anything, but last race I knew my rear wheel was losing pressure (it had already a big puncture and no tubes milk was struggling to block it, now sorted)and took a small pump kept in one of my maillot pockets. You can take a multitool as well. It takes no space.

I see some riders with co2 canisters and spare tube, which is also fine. Don't forget tyre levers

--------------------------------------
My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com