Forum

Post subject: First ride at Danbury
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:14 pm 
As a newbi and living quite close to Danbury, I thought i would have a ride round and get an idea. I must admit some of them drops look a bit daunting at first glance :o , but had great fun going up and down some of the smaller ones and a few of the trails. I think i can safely say i wont be going in for the extreme stuff at my age (not at the moment anyway) the XC and Trails is more up my street i think :D

And am anxious to join some of the rides in other spots now too.

Post subject: Re: First ride at Danbury
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:19 pm 
29, nearly 30 and I'm still blazing away.

Some rider who was pretty cool at chicky a few months back was 46.

He spoke to someone who was 75 and on a single speed before.

Age is in your brain. Being a man you never have to grow up. You get greyer and balder but you're still *you* inside.

Live long and prosper dude!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:25 pm 
DMRdan wrote:
29, nearly 30 and I'm still blazing away.

Some rider who was pretty cool at chicky a few months back was 46.

He spoke to someone who was 75 and on a single speed before.

Age is in your brain. Being a man you never have to grow up. You get greyer and balder but you're still *you* inside.

Live long and prosper dude!

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:09 pm 
42,and still trying to kill meself :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:37 pm 
I think it all looks daunting due to lack of skills at the moment. Would think nothing of it when i was younger in those days it would be go for it and take the consequences after, I dont bounce as much as i used to

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:07 pm 
At 43 i think the older i get the more stupid i get lol and im far from your typical 40 some thing bloke

--------------------------------------
I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:14 am 
I'm 43 and dont find anything at Danbury too daunting, just back from 9 days in Morzine/Les Gets and the main thing I noticed with the younger guys is that they were fitter (but then again they were more into XC anyway), downhill is a pretty good acitivity if your older as its easier with less pedaling, of course there is added danger and risk of injury but generally you weigh up the pros and cons and take the risks you want to. I learnt a lot and became more confident from my trip to France (especially the jumps and table tops which are so smooth there) and look forward to visit Danbury again when I finish building my new bike.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:28 am 
Growing old is inevitable,
growing up is optional!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:49 am 
Its not fear of doing it, just need to get some practice in so i can enjoy some proper xc and trails and put the bike through its paces as well as joining in and being able to enjoy some rides with you guys. I guess the best way would be to come along and see exactly what you do and how.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:43 pm 
ALWAYS happy to meet up for rides and share advice. I've definitely learnt some stuff the hard way, but there is loads to be learnt from places like YouTube/online vids and magazine features.

On the YouTube/online stuff search for riders that are top in your discipline, I.e. I looked up gee atherton & steve peat. Watch the film and work out what bits you need to improve on, I.e. Cornering- now play and repeat those parts, taking note of body, feet, bar, brake positions and keep repeating it until you "know" what they are doing.

Now go hit the trail and DONT go warpspeed. Do what you saw slowly, as in very slowly. Keep doing it until you take that part (I.e. The corner) with ease and flow. Now add some more speed and keep aware of what you are doing. Now add more speed, etc etc etc.

It really is about practice but my opinion is that you can't practice something you don't know about, so balance 30% research with 70% real effort practising.

MBUK regularly has how to sections. Most of it is pretty good though you will develop your own style as well so don't get beat up if you're not a robot.

Good luck and check the downhill/freeride section as I generally post my rides on here- unless I'm going somewhere to session a technique.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:46 pm 
The older you are the more you can afford decent coaching ... thats what I say

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:26 pm 
Thanks for the advice guys I have been watching you tube and picked up some very good tips and how to's just wish i had more time to get out there and practice bloody shift work!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:34 am 
carl wrote:
just wish i had more time to get out there and practice bloody shift work!

Oh yes...me too.

And when you do get time you either have something to sort out or somewhere you need to go.

I'm building a steady list of things to do when it rains! Lol