Forum

Post subject: Hadleigh
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:14 pm 
Whats the latest on when Hadleigh Olympic legacy will be open to the public?
I had a nose around the other day while giving my folks a tour of Essex. The hub/clubhouse thing is massive!
Didn't get to see all the track but a nearly 12 foot almost sheer rock drop looked pretty scary, no wonder it had a fence blocking it off. There was a chicken run line down the side.
So will there be blue, red and black trails?

Post subject: Re: Hadleigh
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:27 pm 
I've seen some work on a new cycle path at Leigh.
Open to the public - Don't know if work is running on time from The Echo -
Quote:
Works are well under way to revamp the park and Olympic Mountain Bike course to open to the public in March 2015.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:58 pm 
As far as I know it will be one route with chicken lines on the harder part which will be interesting to see how it works/how many ambulances are called out.
As for opening, 2015 at best

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:10 pm 
I don't get hadleigh....In a fifth of the time and for a fifth of the money BPW have done this...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:26 pm 
Re: "how many ambulances" maybe the clubhouse/hub thing is so big as it contains a hospital wing?

Post subject: Re: Re: Hadleigh
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:31 pm 
Jon wrote:
I don't get hadleigh....In a fifth of the time and for a fifth of the money BPW have done this...

That's everyone's frustration, difference is that BPW had the support from the local community who can see the benefits.

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

Post subject: Hadleigh
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:44 pm 
Hadleigh is a joke, its just a big moan between the dog walkers/ramblers and bikers, they resent it, and all the building work, as Ian says, BPW was built with the backing of the community who see the benefit.

Hadleigh will never be anything like a good bike park. Its taken so long to sort out and build its lost all the legacy it built up in the olympics.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:49 pm 
I had been looking for MSG Langdon hill vid from todays race.
But managed to get to this vid of Hadleigh MTB route/course.
It dose look as if it might be quite good when* if* (*DELET AS REQUIRED) it's opened to joe public.

It remains to be seen if this facility works to at least cover its operating costs....
After it opens to riders.

Trev.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:55 pm 
I dont agree its a joke, Ive ridden quite a bit of it when doing HMTBC training sessions, yes it wont be specific runs as its mostly based on the original Olympic loop but I think people will just session specific DH 'bits', well no doubt I will, it also joins up with other routes outside of the main park bit.

Its had quite a few changes, mostly for the better, for example the main rock garden has removed some of the jagged pointy rocks but now its faster and with some very challenging bits.

I agree that it could of been done a bit different, its taken far too long to complete (BPW was built quite quickly and ive seen huge DH runs built in the Alps in only a few weeks/months) and whilst most of the trails are very good, some like the dual slalom are a bit poorly thought out and some of the surfaces appear a bit loose but they may well wear in quickly and be great and not turn into sloppy mud like sopme trails do.

Overall though, its very near me and will be fun to ride, it has some very challenging sections as mentioned above and will be free, £30 a day at BPW soon adds up if you were to visit a lot.

It officially opens March 2015, no idea why its taken so long or opening date has been pushed back and is a pity it hasnt cashed in the legacy of 2012 but Ive no doubt it will be very popular.

No idea whether a cafe or bike shop will be successful, I have my doubts about the latter but we shall see.

It was never going to be like BPW as there is simply not enough drop to build long DH runs,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:51 pm 
^ Positive :thumbup:

You still think it's going to be free! time will tell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:35 pm 
I've got to say the more places to ride the better (full stop).

On that subject Bedgbury has seen shed loads of work this summer and is looking like a mini Swinley in places now - well worth the trip...

Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:36 pm 
I'd be surprised if it's free. Although if it keeps the place running then I'd happily pay a fee.
As for a bike shop, hadleigh doesnt really need another but it does make sense to have stuff for sale on site.

Have to see how I all pans out but I know for sure I need a training ground because yesterday's mud sweat and gears really showed me up haha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:18 pm 
It's such a big area with loose boundaries would be hard to charge even if they wanted to plus the I'm sure Sally army would have a day at suddenly charging as its their land.

Car parking will be charged for.. I think it will be pretty popular as it will get riders of all abilities unlike most bike parks which generally get more hardcore Dh types.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:56 pm 
andydd wrote:
it will get riders of all abilities unlike most bike parks which generally get more hardcore Dh types.

rubbish
places like bedgebury, cannock, swinley afan etc etc none of which are DH places and attract all manor of people and skill levels, all are free except parking so that bit is feasable.

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:47 pm 
Thats true, although I did say park as in comparing it to Bike Park Wales, etc..although Hadleigh will kind of straddle both artificial stuff lilke BPW and more natural trails/XC.

Anyway, dont really care, not here to argue, just pointing out that it will be a fun local place to ride.Hadleigh is few mins from me so will no doubt be spending quite a bit of time there, whether it will work out well in the long term, we shall see, its worth having a look at Hadleigh Mountain Bike Club who have done a great job helping get the place organised and running some great training sessions, many of us have already spent quite a bit of time on the track and are looking forward to seeing it fully finished.