Forum

Post subject: Pins and needles
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:27 pm 
I have started to get pins and needles in the tips of my fingers when riding, i have changed to wider bars and fatter grips and its a lot better, but am still getting it slightly
do you more experienced riders think this is still a set up issue, or the fact i might be gripping the bars to hard (not quite like a white knuckle ride though matt :p ) and therefore down to technique
i would be interested to know what you guys think it could be, and see if you could help me getting my fat arse moving a bit quicker :)

Post subject: Re: pins and needles
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:43 pm 
Hi pyro_maniac, could be a combination of things - grip size, bar angle, gripping too tight, h/bar height, brake/gear lever angle, gloves without enough palm padding for you, arm flex.
Just a case of trial & error - good luck, I hope you sort it out soon, nothing worse than being uncomfortable and spoiling the time on your bike.

--------------------------------------
What Goes Up - Must Come Down!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:21 pm 
Doctor Laser says it could be start of Carpal tunnel.

I had smiler symptoms but started at elbow (Tendonitis) left it and carried on riding got so bad couldn't make a fist. In the end had Physio & steroid injection scare story over.

Go see your Doc S\he probably say REST.
Have a look for some rubber band exercises for wrist do lightly.

See Doc best bet then go from there

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:30 pm 
Bugger, i will have a play about with the bars fit, and the controls and also try to relax my grip, if i still get it then i will do as advised and go see the dr
haven been off road much yet so my test ride was mainly road, a lot of vibration comes off 2.3 inch knobblies so that probably didnt help much

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:20 pm 
Try relaxing ur grip before anything else mate - i get sore hands when im too tight with the bike... the grip should be a very gentle hold - also make sure ur brakes are in the right position... in line with your arms in the riding position. Saddle position could also be forcing you too far forward or back .

Changing to wider bars and different grips will have changed your position on the bike and seeing as that has helped the final solution probably lies in further tweaks to that and relaxing the death grip.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:06 pm 
What he said.
Loosen your grip. If you grip too hard, all the blood goes to your muscles causing pins and needles and numbness. Relax! Simples.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:07 pm 
I set my bike up so that when i am in the normal riding position, most of my weight is through my legs on to the pedals. if you are leaning on the handlebars your saddle may be too far back, a good guage is to put your elbow on the front of your seat, your fingertips should reach the centreline of your handlebars. If you cant acheive this by moving the seat or shortening your stem your top tube is too long for you and probably the frame. My mrs had this problem until she bought a womens specific bike, with a much shorter top tube, now she has no pins and needles or pain at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:02 pm 
Mm as read other hope it not to serous are you using the Vulcan death grip :D

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:47 pm 
Bloody hell, I never knew a riding position could be so complicated!! I just find a hill drop my seat and peddle like crazy hoping I don't hit anything on the way down then if I'm in one piece I'd do it again.

Specialized sx trail 2

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:52 pm 
Matt shush lol. You know i have to be careful cuz of my back, I gave mo desire to be off work another 8 months and sh!tfaced on meds, nearly got it right now its nowhere near as bad as it was, just got to tweak it slightly and it will be ok

Last edited by pyro_maniac on Thu May 12, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:52 pm 
I noticed p n n in my hands when first riding in Morzine, I think it was sheer terror..plus I prob was squeezing the brakes all the way down, havnt really noticed it riding in the UK though.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:23 pm 
Matt wrote:
Bloody hell, I never knew a riding position could be so complicated!! I just find a hill drop my seat and peddle like crazy hoping I don't hit anything on the way down then if I'm in one piece I'd do it again.

Aye....me too. I never adjust anything.
Rock up, get to the top and ride! I dont even tweak my sus! haha

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:41 pm 
Also your brake levers may be at the wrong angle, just in case you didn't adjust everything ;-)

https://www.strava.com/athletes/4658058