Forum

Post subject: A touch rather disappointed
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:03 pm 
:(

I'm sure that a good number of board users remember my real polite and genuine request for help.

It was when I put on the forum about a new riding facility possibly being built in South Woodham.

Well, after speaking to the council rep today I was told that NO ONE contacted her.

I mean, am I really being wrong in thinking FFS :shock: .

I just cant believe that we, as a community (online and on bike), can't be arsed enough to support a new ride spot.

And all what was needed was a simple email.

I just don't get it. Why wouldn't people want to help get involved in our own official site?

:thumbdown:

Post subject: Re: Re: A touch rather disappointed
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:18 pm 
DMRdan wrote:
:(

I'm sure that a good number of board users remember my real polite and genuine request for help.

No were original post

Post subject: Re: A touch rather disappointed
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:22 pm 
http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain ... t=facility

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:53 pm 
Hey Dan. Maybe think about why people didn’t feel they could contribute. Is it because everyone sucks orrrrrr……perhaps its because people don’t know anything about South Woodham. Maybe they don’t feel they can put their name to something they know nothing about? Essex and Herts covers 2000sq miles. It’s a big old place.

For example… what were the other proposals for the site? Perhaps the area is in desperate need of a play area and that was another proposal? Perhaps the football pitches would provide a greater benefit to the community as a whole? Perhaps the site backs onto houses or there are access issues… ive no idea. I wouldn’t feel right about supporting something unless I knew the full picture and had visited the area. I’m a biker but also a tax payer and local funds should be spent appropriately.

Have a look at this http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/wher ... 700.print/ - http://www.skateloughton.org/ - in Loughton they are pushing for a skate park and have kept the campaign very local. Getting local buy in where people know and understand how the development will affect the community as a whole, is probably the best approach at gathering meaningful support. Once you have local support and general agreement on the pros and cons of the idea, then perhaps that’s the time to reach out to people living up to 100 miles away to help push it over the line.

Keep the passion for the the idea going but keep the focus local to build worthwhile momentum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:09 pm 
Karve, thank you for your response.

I understand what you have said about supporting the unknown, using money on other projects, etc.

Maybe I was just naive in thinking (and hoping) that as bikers we would all support a new place to ride. It will never be a Danbury or Chicksands, but surely any facility available or to get new faces into the sport is good?

I have been gaining support locally and have some local residents in agreement.

I expected a bit of Espirit de corps that's all.

Maybe I'll have more luck with volunteers to help dig and design the place? Seeing how well Enfield seems to do I can only cross my fingers.

Just well surprised that's all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:35 pm 
No doubt everyone supports it, but what do you want us to email?? "Hello, I like the idea of your new facility"
Everyone has different ideas. There is no point me suggesting stuff, because chances are itll be too big/vert/bonkers for most of you lot to ride.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:10 pm 
Lawbags- yes as simple as that.

I know what you mean about the jump size. I have to tone my ideas down, even more so now I have clearly weakened arm.

Post subject: A touch rather disappointed
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:30 pm 
Never heard of the area but googled it and see its near Chelmsford. That's over 40 miles from me, are you sure this isn't supposed to be a local facility? If they get emails from all over London and Essex, it could convince them not to build it. Just my opinion, if you think emailing is a good idea then I will.

--------------------------------------
I used to be a lot like you but now I'm only me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:22 pm 
Ive only ever visited SWF when Ive got train there and ridden onto Danbury.

I agree with people who say that they dont know area and done feel connected to it in anyway, to contrast this, I quite often ride in the Hadleigh Castle area and therefore was/am interested in the Olympic track and especially the legacy and filled in the legacy questionaires, etc.

Andy