Forum

Post subject: Aston Hill
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:35 pm 
Heading to aston hill with a mate for the first time on sunday the 5th if anybody fancy's it or just wants to give some advice on what to hit there??

Post subject: Re: aston hill
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:58 pm 
If its wet, dont go.

Its mega rooty, so is ultra slippy when wet.

TBH, I dont bother going in the winter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:02 pm 
Good on you.

The ground is chalk based so can be a bit more slippy when wet but its alright like anywhere else just choose your line - I have ridden it the day after rain and also during light rain and it is fine if you like it fast and loose (I run Minions so not wet specific).

Down hill three in my opinion would be the worst in the wet, but the black run and 432 will still go very well when wet. Even if it is hammering it down, my view is you would still have a great time as the black run and the 432 have great sections in to session which hold up really well in the wet.

Have a great time - it is a great place and well worth a visit to make your own mind up whatever the conditions. If you had biblical amounts of rain and decide it is not an option then hey ho you are a 20 minute drive from Woburn which is better in the rain anyway!

My only advice would be run your tyre pressures lower than normal - there are sections with a lot of roots and off camber rooty corners but I find a few PSI out the tyres sorts that out nicely.

Am probably doing something else on Sunday - but am tempted with Aston it's been a while and is a great spot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:14 am 
Nicely summed up Evil - I think the chaps who run Aston Hill recently posted this up at http://www.rideastonhill.co.uk/ which mirrors what has already been said

Quote:
Unsurprisingly, for late November, it’s cold and it’s damp.

It hasn’t rained for a few days so it won’t be sloppy, but unless the ground stays frozen (which is possible on the north-facing elements of the Hill) conditions are going to be damp, so riding will either be incredible fun or downright madness (depending on your point of view). Wrap up warm, take food and hot drinks with you, and enjoy!

It is practically winter now, so well-treaded tyres are a must and dedicated winter/mud tyres are a good idea. As ever, read the essentials and the frequently asked questions if it’s your first time winter riding on the Hill – Aston Hill is a very different beast when the temperatures drop.

I hope you still decide to go as its well worth checking out - but if it is "carnage" don't let it put you off. I had an epic day there with Joel and Tom in the wet. Its a very different beastie in the dry. Its a really great place to DH! Let us know how you get on :)

Oh and somehow we have made it into their "People Worth Checking Out" section - sweet!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:48 pm 
Awesome cheers guys, not sure whats gonna happen now with all the snow but will make my mind up sunday morning