Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: CwmCarn...18th Feb
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:32 am 
Same hear. Would love to be in the list but can't get the time off.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:59 am 
Up in Snowdonia that weekend hoping to climb up though the "birthing canal" if the weather suits. Will definately try and be on teh next Cwn Carn trip.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:26 pm 
There are no more slots available on 18 Feb. :(

But guess what....... :o

I booked the last slot, so, I am in. :)

I only hope that you guys are for real. ;)

It would be nice to talk to someone on the phone before hand to sort out some details. Anyone volunteering to fill me in...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:57 pm 
It would be nice to talk to someone on the phone before hand to sort out some details. Anyone volunteering to fill me in...[/quote]

yo welcome on forum first ! and like i said one space in the van free if you fancy . but have to leave CWM around 16.00 if it s ok . meeting up at chingford with bradley and trax .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:49 pm 
Hi Stev-o

Thanks for the offer and for the welcome.

Not sure it will work as I am in NW10. I can take my own car and possibly even give another person a lift, it is just that it looks like you are all north and north east near the M25. Anyways, for now I am not concerned about transport though it might be nice to travel in company.

I would have liked to chat to any of you who have been there and with some experience to make sure I am equipped properly as I am relatively new to this. I am expecting a full face helmet and a pressure suit any day now. What about tires I have the ones that came with the bike: Maxxis High Roller, 60a, 2.35" but not sure they are good enough for the CWM trails. What happens if the trails are really wet?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:04 pm 
I was running 2.35 highrollers at cwmcarn in November when it was pissing down with rain, and I found them fine. Just run lower psi

--------------------------------------
"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"

Post subject: CwmCarn...18th Feb
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:08 pm 
It doesn't get muddy there so High Rollers are fine. I use Specialized Chunders which have virtually identical tread pattern to the HR's but are wider. If they are single ply then get thicker tubes as punctures are common. You can get Maxxis Freeride tubes from Chain Reaction.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry. Everything is rollable, just take it slow on the first and last run!

I used to be a lot like you but now I'm only me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:14 pm 
Dude...dont worry!

A full face is a good idea, but people ride it with piss pots.I wear as much armour as I can. But then Ive been put back together more than enough times. But full face, knee pads and gloves are a goopd idea.
There is chicken lines round everything. Aswell as an XC loop down the hill. So if anything is too big, there is always a way round it.
Ive ridden there with 15 year old, pretty fairly slick Tiogas. High Rollers will be fine.

Last time we went, a couple of guys went who had never ridden anything other than flat XC and they got on fine. Infact, a couple of them are coming again!

My best bit of advice is on the 1st run go as slow as you can. So many people go too fast having never ridden dh before, crash and hate it.
Like real slow. Snails pace.

What else ya wanna know?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:28 pm 
Thanks for the info guys

I am due to get Maxxis DH tubes tomorrow so it looks like I should be set.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:41 pm 
Tesco tubes ftw!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:38 pm 
Get some continental tubes for £2.99 of evans
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/continental/26-x-175-25-schrader-valve-mtb-tube-ec017411?query=inner%2520tube
bargain atm!!

"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:55 pm 
On the tyres Ive always ridden it single ply without any probs as long if you keep an eye on the tire pressure, there are no real big bumps

on the padding: it all rocks & slate so knee elbow protection is nice if you're planing to land on them

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:39 pm 
I rode it single ply last time and got three punctures lol - but I was plowing a little bit ;) whack a little pressure in em to be safe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:29 pm 
Guys,

Do you think Swampthings are to knobby for Cwm trails? Should I change over to Minions?

Colorado was Epic, just got back from two weeks snowboarding fun in one piece, now for Bike fun :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:41 pm 
Dont forget, next to no-one will have ridden the dh before we get there, so it might be wet.
It usually takes a few runs to dry out.
I cant see it being wet enough, but take both and see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next