Forum

Post subject: Intro to downhill racing????
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:10 pm 
Hi

Myself and a friend are looking to get into downhill racing. We are pretty competent bike riders but it would be our first venture into downhill racing as such...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where or when a suitable event is going on?

We are based in East London/Essex which isnt gravitty blessed, but we obviously can and will travel

any suggestions will be happily received

--------------------------------------
Stay loose

Post subject: Re: intro to downhill racing????
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:59 pm 
Try the series at PORC in kent run by Mr Bling.

Karve, myself and Tranny did one last year (very muddy - check out the pics in the gallery) and had a good time.

Well organised, relatively cheap as far as these things go, very regular (one a month I think) and very open and friendly.

Check out the forums on southerndownhill or facebook for specifics

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:19 pm 
Aston hill run a couple of races a year - not quite as chilled as the PORC ones but woth checking out. Also keep an eye out for any mini downhill events which sometimes run at Chicksands and FOD.

There has been a bit of chat about mates races locally which could be cool as well

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:37 pm 
I second the mr blings series at porc. very laid back events, but don't let that fool you as everyone was rapid! the tracks are pretty good and the one i raced was so much fun even though I broke my rib in practise, raced and came last!
Also the 661 mini dh series is good for starters too. The 2 races a year at aston have been and gone now.

I'm waitng to hear more about the race @ gravity project................

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:04 pm 
Interesting thread- can we not get race dates listed on the site somewhere properly, and who's going?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:36 pm 
That would be cool, i mean i have no idea how fast i would be, i am really keen to give it a go... anyone know any dates and try to get a random little crew gathered?

Stay loose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:18 pm 
I'm well up for being in the crew.

With the Olympics next year I'm going to be unable to do anything from June to August because of work.

I'm aiming to compete in 2013 and use next year as a training and experience a race or few.

Not saying I'll be any good- but you only live once.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:09 pm 
DMRdan wrote:
Interesting thread- can we not get race dates listed on the site somewhere properly, and who's going?

I did look into a calendar integrated into the board a while back, but it was going to be a nightmare to integrate :( Unless you made everyone post every ride/event into it it would loose its value. You would end up having to check both the calender and forum to keep up to speed. Tieing to 2 together would be hundreds of lines of code... if possible at all

http://www.southerndownhill.com/events-calendar.html

...covers off all most of the events and we could replicate that but of course.... but some one would need to maintain and update it all the time. Don't forget there is lots of xc chat on here too so it would have to include that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:12 pm 
Tugger - where do you ride DH currently out of interest?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:25 pm 
Karve wrote:
DMRdan wrote:

I did look into a calendar integrated into the board a while back, but it was going to be a nightmare to integrate :( Unless you made everyone post every ride/event into it it would loose its value. You would end up having to check both the calender and forum to keep up to speed. Tieing to 2 together would be hundreds of lines of code... if possible at all

http://www.southerndownhill.com/events-calendar.html

...covers off all most of the events and we could replicate that but of course.... but some one would need to maintain and update it all the time. Don't forget there is lots of xc chat on here too so it would have to include that.

What about a forum sticky?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:42 pm 
Sure - if someone wants to write up and maintain a definitive list of local or national events then im more than happy to make it a sticky.

It has to be maintained though as im keen to avoid stale content :) As I said other sites with a broader reach do this well already. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:48 pm 
Sorry mate, I'm a bit of forum loyalist.

I only venture on the others when something interesting pops up in my google result or the newscaster on the main page.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:59 am 
I live in chelmsford but ride predominently with a group in epping, although i do turn up in danbury quite often too. My epping group go to surrey a lot, also aston hill/woburn/chicksands/tilgate/swinley occasionally when the mood occurs.

A couple of my regular group would be interested in a dh thrash just to see if we are any good or how much fun it would be... if anyone fancies a tear up over danbury on a sunday morning i can probably have a dart at that

Stay loose

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:45 am 
What about doing a forum championship?

We could probably quite easy do a three or four race league.

Just for laffs like.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:58 am 
Could do... unsure how that would work, is anyone else interested or would it work better if we picked an envent that isnt taken too seriously and then ll enter?

Stay loose