Forum

Post subject: Re: PORC - Sunday 5th May
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:29 am 
It was a great crash.... he destroyed the jumps take off in the process, removing a 80lb log from it!

If you go down, best to go down in style.

Heal up soon amigo.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:29 pm 
Good to see you yesterday, sorry to hear about an injury, heal up soon! Porc is my new fav will def be going back, still plenty more lines to explore!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:41 pm 
Good to see you Anselm. It deffo one of my fave places right now too!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:37 pm 
northern wrote:
good session today guys - sorry for the mechanical issues (not sure what's going on with my bikes at the moment. - Gremlins must be at work) - and, also thnx for sorting me out after my stack....

...... After a brief visit to Harlow A&E - have been sent home with a broken collarbone, a sling and appointment at the fracture clinic on 17th May ...... bugger, just after everything had dried out, now facing a 6-8 week stint off the bike .....

Thats bad news Adam. Have they said anything about having it operated and plated? I snapped my quite bad about 6 years ago and was never given the option, if I did it now, I would be pushing to get operated on as soon as.

There is also a guy called Brian Simpson in Ipswich. He's known as the "bone docter" amongst the bike and racing world. Has a very good reputation for helping with collar bones and other bone injuries. Use's laser therapy, magnetic stuff and oxygen tanks for various results.
It can be a bit pricey but he knock weeks off the rehab time.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:15 pm 
jim25 wrote:
northern wrote:
good session today guys - sorry for the mechanical issues (not sure what's going on with my bikes at the moment. - Gremlins must be at work) - and, also thnx for sorting me out after my stack....

...... After a brief visit to Harlow A&E - have been sent home with a broken collarbone, a sling and appointment at the fracture clinic on 17th May ...... bugger, just after everything had dried out, now facing a 6-8 week stint off the bike .....

Thats bad news Adam. Have they said anything about having it operated and plated? I snapped my quite bad about 6 years ago and was never given the option, if I did it now, I would be pushing to get operated on as soon as.

There is also a guy called Brian Simpson in Ipswich. He's known as the "bone docter" amongst the bike and racing world. Has a very good reputation for helping with collar bones and other bone injuries. Use's laser therapy, magnetic stuff and oxygen tanks for various results.

Cheers James - the Doctor at A&E showed me the X-rays and it looked (to my untrained eye) fairly clean + he didn't seem too excited by what I'd done

That said - I'll follow up with Brian Simpson - might be able to get this through work medical scheme - am keen as anything to speed the recovery - meant to be hitting the Alps in early July!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:03 pm 
Sorry to read this Adam, hope you make a speedy recovery fella

Post subject: PORC - Sunday 5th May
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:42 pm 
Just seen this, fuck me that's a bastard. Heel well and we can nurse each other around the Alps.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:11 pm 
It was like deja vu driving to Harlow Evil!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:47 am 
Take care of yourself Northern, you guys are extreme!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:19 pm 
northern wrote:
jim25 wrote:
northern wrote:

Cheers James - the Doctor at A&E showed me the X-rays and it looked (to my untrained eye) fairly clean + he didn't seem too excited by what I'd done

That said - I'll follow up with Brian Simpson - might be able to get this through work medical scheme - am keen as anything to speed the recovery - meant to be hitting the Alps in early July!

So, I did a bit more research (James' assertion seems to extend into the MTB world as well - this clinic is supposedly one of the 'best' in the world) - then spoke to the 'Bone Doctor' - am booked in for 3 sessions on Friday this week - nice day trip to Ipswich- their advice was to get their treatment sooner rather than later, apparently it'll accelerate the healing and reduce the pain and discomfort (which in turn will hopefully aid with sleeping) .. will let folks know how I get on ....

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:32 pm 
Good stuff Adam, I spent the first month sleeping upright in bed with a load of pillows supporting me.
I know of few people that have walked in wearing a sling and with very little movement to walking out minus the sling and able to lift their arm upto shoulder height less than a week after the accident.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:42 pm 
That bodes pretty well!

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:56 pm 
So .... went over to the Brian Simpson physio clinic and met the man himself in Ipswich this morning

Walking in I was confronted with loads of photos of bike, MX and DH folks who've been treated there - pretty confidence inspiring:

The Waiting Room - think I've come to the right place

One of the Rafferty Brothers (currently doing the skills sections in MBUK) has been treated by Brian and team; wonder if MBUK's Doddy's has been here as well?

Am not sure what was wrong with the gentleman with the helmet

Then had 3 lots of treatment consisting of 20 mins of magnetic pulses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsed_electromagnetic_field_therapy) being fired into the shoulder followed by 20 mins of laser treatment (http://www.olympiasportschiropractor.com/2012/05/30/laser-therapy-improve-bone-healing/)- along with lots of explanation about how the shoulder works and how it heals

Shoulder area feels better already - far less sore and far more movement even than earlier today.

Have been advised I should be good to get back on the DH bike in 3 weeks time if it feels ok!!! And can start gentle riding week after next if I want but again need to see how it feels. Have also been advised to ditch the sling unless going in crowded places e.g. commuting next week on the tube - but only then to act as a warning sign.

Feeling pretty good and positive about the recovery and very happy I took James' advice and got over to see Brian and the team. bonus was that it was covered under my work health insurance.

From my experience today - I can wholeheartedly recommend these guys!!

Full details about the clinic here:

http://www.physioclinic.net

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:06 pm 
3 weeks - holy cow! Did he xray you to take a look at it first?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:23 pm 
Jon wrote:
3 weeks - holy cow! Did he xray you to take a look at it first?

3 weeks from now - so would be 4 weeks recovery ... which should mean that I'm fully fit for the alps at beginning of July ...

No x ray - he examined it by feel and tapping to find the break -which is towards the end of the collar bone (at the shoulder end) and supposedly heal quicker than if it's in the middle albeit with more scar tissue apparently .... they'd had 19 collar bone breaks that week so I'm reasonably confident they know what they're doing ...

... will see if the verdict from NHS is as positive when I go to fracture clinic at Harlow next Friday....