Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Triscombe & Exmoor - 24-25th Sept
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:50 pm 
All

Karve and I are looking at doing the combined Triscombe / Exmmoor uplift on weekend of 24-25th September.

Rough plan, max numbers and costs would be:

> Drive down Saturday 24th morning
> Saturday 24th - Triscombe uplift / trails- 16 people max - cost is £20 per person
> Saturday night - camp in the garden of the guys that run the uplift (they have a big bell tent) - 10 people max - cost is £10 per person
> Sunday morning - full English - £5 per person
> Sunday 25th Exmoor uplift / trails (some c. 30 mins long) - £35 per person
> Saturday and sunday - post ride cream teas @ £5 per person (recommended)!!!
> Sunday 25th drive home

c. £75 all in by the looks of thing but they're happy for us to pick and mix.

Numbers wise we we need 7 max for Exmoor; & can do up to 16 for Triscombe so who's up for it?

If you need persuading here's a brief review of this trip from a guy called Alexander Brown - 29th May 2011:

"Last year we went to Spain for an uplift week, why we did this i do not know when this weekend we have been looked after by the Andersons. An entire weekend of uplifting at two venues that put massive grins on all of our faces. Triscombe on the Saturday for Dh trails to test skills and bottle, Exmoor on Sunday for miles of singletrack that pushed each of our riding skills to the limit. We all rode until we could not physically hold onto the bars although it felt we had only just scratched the surface of the exciting ribbons of dirt that still lie, waiting to be shown off by the two brothers Joel and Isaac. Each night we got to bed down in our cosy bell tent which felt more bedouin royalty than cub scout, and each morning we dined like kings on fresh eggs and local sausages all cooked and served by Mrs Anderson and her happy helper Tabatha. This type of holiday only exists in dreams ,we thought, but if you fancy keeping it real in the UK and supporting our wonderful trails and cream tea industry then get yourself booked in, after all it's so much easier the Easyjet!"

Post subject: Re: Triscombe & Exmoor - 24-25th Sept
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:02 pm 
Im 100% in for this if we can get the numbers - Chris is catching up with edd tomorrow and will get back to me then.

its worth it just for the creme cakes!

Check out us raving about it on our last visit over here

http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain ... 59-90.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:39 pm 
On holiday with the family, shame.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:43 pm 
Can't as I'm booked in for a Surrey Hills sesh, but would be interested in future trips.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:57 pm 
Jon / Adam , you know my riding, will I enjoy or just be hanging on for dear life thinking what am I doing here LOL

If you feel that I will come away with a big grin then I am in :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:19 pm 
Grin wrote:
Jon / Adam , you know my riding, will I enjoy or just be hanging on for dear life thinking what am I doing here LOL

Grin - think you'll love it - there's loads of different type trails at Triscombe with only the Brendan Fairclough track being at the steep techie end of the scale; and think the Exmoor day is all about epic gravity assisted single track!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:35 pm 
northern wrote:
Grin wrote:

Grin - think you'll love it - there's loads of different type trails at Triscombe with only the Brendan Fairclough track being at the steep techie end of the scale; and think the Exmoor day is all about epic gravity assisted single track!!

Sold ! I am a definite. let me know about payment. Car share possible guys? (have a car if it comes to it)

Looking forward to it :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:06 pm 
I might be up for this as im halfway there in the surrey hills the day before.

downhill singletrack day at Exmoor would be my preference.

Triscombe vid looks a bit out of my league, are there any easier options around as dont wanna hold the uplift up or Ill just find some easier riding locally and disapper for the day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:24 pm 
Nice one grin you will love it after your alps trip and trips to herts!

beardee to help set expectations.. although its supposed to be singletrack it will still deffo be DH singletrack not XC single track - full face - pads etc will be required for both days. I think a bit of proper DH riding experiance is a prerequsite so we can keep together especially on day 2.

Its perfect for the guys who usually hit up ukbp, FOD, Aston, Woburn or Danbury etc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:27 pm 
beardee wrote:
I might be up for this as im halfway there in the surrey hills the day before.

downhill singletrack day at Exmoor would be my preference.

Triscombe vid looks a bit out of my league, are there any easier options around as dont wanna hold the uplift up or Ill just find some easier riding locally and disapper for the day.

Triscombe is in the Quantocks so think there is loads of top quality trail riding to be had

The area is fairly regularly featured in the riding spot / route guide sections of both MBR and WhatMTB - even seem to recall one of them voting the Quantocks one of the the best place to ride in the UK(?)

Found a couple of example routes here and here

Also might be worth checking with LBSs - http://www.bicyclechain.co.uk/index.asp and http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/

Or going with these guys if you want the full guiding option!

You can also check direct with the guys that run the uplift service - they have a Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRISCOMBE-UPLIFTS/337212724049

hope this helps?

Last edited by northern on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:31 pm 
I can thoroughly recommend Exmoor (and the Quantocks if you get a chance). You can get some pretty long runs of Dunkery Beacon. Next year it would be good to take a group down to do the Exmoor Explorer, which I've ridden in every year but 1 I think. I used to do quite a bit of riding around the Qunatocks as I used to spend a lot of time in Williton (was where my wife lived before we married) so know my way around them quite well. Will keep an eye on this thread as I may be able to wangle something so I can be down that way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:13 pm 
Are these tracks any harder than say Whites level or the Wall descents? Ive never done proper DH.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 pm 
Right,

i am in with bells on.

this was the best place i have ever ridden in the uk and i would be crazy to pass up another trip!

if i could jump in a car and leave the other half with mine it would score high points?!

anyone up for making our way there on friday night so we are fresh for sat morning?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:07 pm 
gladdice wrote:
On holiday with the family, shame.

Thank god for that - we would all be gassed sharing a tent with you :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: We almost died in that hotel at UKBP last time

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:27 pm 
Duckcm18.

I would say they are more technical trails but I guess it depends how you ride whites level?!
the wall and whites are xc, this will be lift assisted dh full armour stuff, that's not to say it can't be ridden slower on something less aggressive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next