Forum

Post subject: 1x10 vs 1x11 and ratios (sorry popcorn subject)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:46 pm 
So after 'Ard Rock at the weekend I am more convinced than ever that the benefits of a 1x10 or a 1x11 set-up are real.

Not for the range but for the simplicity... as an example when out in Canada last week my 1x10 set-up was simple and easy to use - the range was wrong for me on those climbs but it was the right idea.

So I looked and compared a Praxis 11-40 with a 30t, my Bird with its 11-36 with 40t and current set-up of 11-36 with 22/34t.

Thinking about it the 22/36 combo was too twitchy and I ran it in around 22 and 3rd so 22/28. This means the ratio on the Praxis 11-40 with a 30t chainring should work at the bottom end as they are only slightly different.

Then looking at the 34/36 combo I can remember the fastest stage yesterday was #3 and when I got to the bottom of that I was in 7th on the rear so 36/15 so again the Praxis works as 30/13 gets me almost the same.

The Praxis cassette is a compromise for sure but I think it will work and saves me having to fork out for a 1x11 set-up that also have similar compromises.

Here is the link to the calculator I used, set-up with the different options above: http://gears.mtbcrosscountry.com/#27.5/2.20I1136I2871X27.5/2.20I954I1X27.5/2.20I738I1

In an ideal world we would be able to test each option... Does anybody have any thoughts?

--------------------------------------
Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

Post subject: Re: 1x10 vs 1x11 and ratios (sorry popcorn subject)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:18 pm 
I've run my 29er as a 1x10 with 42 oneup ring and 34T front ring for the last two year, the spitfire is a 1x10 with a standard cassette (at the moment, to be replaced with a praxis cassette once worn out) with a 34T front ring (have run it as a 32T for a little while as well). My meta was a 2x10 setup, orginaly it came with a 39 outer ring, once it had worn out i dropped it down to a 37 ring, then down to a 36 ring once that had worn out.

I always found when on the meta that it was always better to climb in the larger tooth ring than the granny ring (it might be more difficult but you spent less time spinning away up the climb so you were quicker over all and less tired over all). I keeped on making the larger gear smaller so i spent less time in the granny ring to a point that 1x10 would work. By using a wide ratio cassette (either as 1x11 or praxis or 1x10 big ring conversion) you really do get the best of both worlds (a climbing gear thats effishent but still easy enough on the legs and enough gears for fast decents (in all honesty its only really fire road decents that i have ever spun out on))

What i orginaly found out on my 29er was that as a 32T front ring i would sping my legs too much on the flat (tiring myslf out more than normal), so i went up to a 34T but than it lead to me not being able to climb the steep hills easily ( i would stall and then have to walk). With the 42T oneup fitted it fixed the problem (was able to keep spinning up the hill just like a granny gear).

Working out ratio's is one thing but it does not take into around a couple of inportant things, your own health (what torque you can put out and for how long), the weight of the bike and riding gear, wheel size (lets be a dick about it) and lastly the terrian that you will ride on.

For more normal average rider set ups for england and wales trip a 32T and 11-40/42T cassette with be fine. Only last thing i would say is 11 speed cassettes are less forgiving in muddy contitions so will need a bit more maintenance to keep running smoothly ect

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:39 pm 
Interesting Matt.

I wasn't just calculating ratios I was looking at what I have now and how I use it and then looking at the ratios to validate my choice - I like you find granny and 36 is too lose.

And whilst I'm happy to go 1x11 I was looking at a Praxis 1x10 as an interim until next March or so :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:13 pm 
More than welcome to have play day with my bike and swop of gear set up (as I have a fare bit of kit now) to get an idea before buying ect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:15 am 
Stumpie, I've just been through a similar process. I did the South Downs Way 35 mile event a few weeks ago. For me, it was extremely difficult (because I'm not fit enough for this type of event yet). But I tried to prepare the bike as best I could. I had an 11/36 1x10 (32t up front).

Prior to the event, I put a 30t up front and put a hope 40t expander on the rear. (I had to remove the 14t from the rear due to the design of the cassette). I went for a spin on the roads outside my house and I thought the 30t was silly easy to pedal so I swapped back for the 32t.

I rode the event with this setup.
I didn't like the gap in the cassette for the higher gears, the 14t gap felt odd and I felt I wanted to use that cog quite often.
The 40t was OK, but a big gap from the 36.

I finished the event, then did a trip round Thetford and concluded the whole setup was compromised so I bit the bullett and changed to SRAM 1x11 10/42 with the 32 up front. I have not ridden it yet and I will be trying it with the 30t up front as well.

I did some quick simple ratio calculations (excluding wheel size) against my mates Whyte h/t that he rode the South Downs on, the 1x11 high gear was very close to his setup, he had a triple 9 speed.

I agree with you that a 1x setup keeps things very simple and has the benefit of keeping the weight down .

Specialized Enduro Comp 2015

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:47 am 
Sorry stumpie quick hijack of this thread.. :D

You all seem more knowledgable about gearing than me,
I'd like to ask I'm running 39/26 front 11-36 rear and not really fit enough for "puny legs..lol" the climbs , but while at Epping last weekend I had a go on someone's bike that ran 1x11 with 30t 11-42 it was was like heaven on my legs..

Don't really want to do whole drivetrain change do you have any suggestions .?
Cheers guys..

Stay on target...!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:00 am 
Interesting subject this, my five came with 32/22 double & 11-36 block, once drive chain wore out I opted for a 1x10 setup! To keep it simple I choose RaceFace N/W 30T up front & kept 11-36 ratio's at the rear!, did some research regarding one up components 40T, modded cage to reposition the top jokey wheel etc! my main concern was possible premature wear due to the quite large jump to 40T or 42T & chain cross? The 30T feels nice with the added benefit of being able to clear most if not all log rolls etc! and able to climb most terrain , Warely , SH ,fair amount at Ard Rock!

I follow Ed Oxley on social media he also runs 30T 11/36, He's local to Hebden Bridge, he was once asked "why not try 40,42 out back" & he replied " kept things simple & make's you a stronger rider" Can"t argue with that lol!

Worth noting what Mr V said important factor not to over spin your legs!

Wouldn't mind trying an oval ring as may help stop bobbing when climbing for long periods :thumbup:

Did also look at the 11-40 block but 34 to 40 is quite a gap also, gonna wait for more reviews!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:45 am 
Oval rings are brilliant, does not make it easiler/make you a faster, just seems to make it more comfortable on your legs that mean you can last and are smoother in your pedal stroke (idea for tech climbs for grip).

Simon - when i had a go of ians praxis, it felt a lot smoother going from 34T to 40T than my 36T to 42T on the stache, guess the larger curcumirence has something to do with it, bother were 29er bikes

Redtwo - start with a 32T up front, when i've tried a mates 30T i span my legs too much (even span too much with a 32T for my liking but climbed very welland was temped to go back to if i did not upgrade to the praxis). As i said more than welcome to have a play ride and try.

If i had the money sitting around 11 speed all the way, but its a hell of a lot of money at the moment

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:25 am 
Yeah must admit one of the main reason I went 30T was log rolls! , nice on techy climbs !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:37 pm 
Simon wrote:
Yeah must admit one of the main reason I went 30T was log rolls! , nice on techy climbs !
the 30t oval would give you the same clearance :thumbup:

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:03 pm 
Not sold on the oval tbh, but that's because I've not tried one and don't want to waste money in case it's not for me :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:51 pm 
Have a play on my one dave, you wont notice any difference other than your climbing is easier with less effort.

Bike piccys!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:59 pm 
Yep never tried either mate!

Did look at Jamie's on the transitions & didnt look like it bobbed as much, when I ordered my front ring RaceFace hadn't brought out the oval ring yet!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:14 pm 
Bobbing is also due to the suspension design but the ring also helps.

Bike piccys!

Post subject: 1x10 vs 1x11 and ratios (sorry popcorn subject)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:46 pm 
I got so many more PR since I got an oval.

If your into that bullsh!t :wink:

Last edited by Laser on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.