Forum

Post subject: Adjustable Forks: HOT or NOT
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:07 pm 
Hey,

I am looking to get some different forks for my on one 456. I currently have Suntour Raidon 140mm.

I really like the thought of a travel adjustable fork from say 100mm-140mm.

The reason being that if i go for an Epping blast i think 140mm is too much. i would prefer 110-120mm. however i quite enjoy a bit of light DH and a few jumps etc, so Danbury say would require more travel upto 130-140.

I also go up to north wales where there are obviously steeper gradients. i would like to be able to have decent travel on the DH sections and short travel on the climbs.

I have heard a lot of different opinions about this and wouldn't mind hearing you guys thoughts.

Do you think having the adjustment is worth it? If you have it do you use it? is it worth the extra weight penalty?

Cheers
Si

Post subject: Re: Adjustable Forks: HOT or NOT
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:43 pm 
Ive never rated Suntour.

I have RS Revelations. I used them on my GT hardtail for ages and found them spot on. I used them at full travel for DH and at the lowest for more jumpy, 4X stuff.

Weight has never been an issue for me, so I cant really comment. But the adjustment was deffo worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:50 pm 
Suntour are so shite.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:51 pm 
I have Fox 32 Talas forks and I think all of the adjustments help, not just travel adjust ments but settings make a huge difference :)
I do use the travel adjustment a fair bit depending where I am riding, and the Fox's are pretty light so I don't think it makes much difference having the adjustment.

--------------------------------------
www.ridetransitionbikes.co.uk - SBC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:03 pm 
DMRdan wrote:
Suntour are so shite.

Thats Awesome input! haha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:14 pm 
Well the two i have really narrowed it down to are the obvious choices of RS revs and Fox talas.

Am i correct in saying the Talas are quick to change up and down. say increments of 20mm. They have instant travel adjustment with a flick of the lever. or am i wrong?

I like the revs a lot and are interested in the earlier version with the U-turn. but a lot of people say this is a bit of a pain as you can only adjust the travel in pretty much 1mm increments, therefore you are forever turning the dial. it would be fine if i set the fork up before i go out on the trails, but if i want to adjust during, it will become a bit of an arse ache.

@Lawbags. are yours the U-turn or dual position air. If you have dual position air, what do you have to do to adjust the travel?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:14 pm 
The Talas forks I have are 150/120 and change it pretty instant.
Its a lever on top of the left hand side of the fork, just spin it round and it either raises or drops.
Plus being Talas, you get lockout, rebound, low compression, Air pressure and lockout force adjustment.

--------------------------------------
www.ridetransitionbikes.co.uk - SBC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:21 pm 
Yeah i must admit i am swaying towards the Talas. I think if i was to go for the Revs it needs to be the newer version with dual position air, but i just can afford them an it seems there isnt many sets about. I think i will try and keep an eye out for a set of 32 Talas in black 100-140. maybe 07 ish. i think they will be perfect.

If you know anybody who is selling a set please let me know.

Cheers guys for your input, much appreciated.
Si

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:48 pm 
SiG60 wrote:
@Lawbags. are yours the U-turn or dual position air. If you have dual position air, what do you have to do to adjust the travel?

U-turns.

Ive never used an inbetween setting. Either full or shortest travel.
I have loads of mates with Pikes/Revs who are the same. No-one ever uses inbetween travel.
The U-turns do have a scale on the side of the stanction so you can see what you have them set at, so you can adjust them for next time.
But then that leads onto the ever-going debate. Spend time fiddling with the bike over the course of 4-5 runs to get it just right, or just get used to it on the 1st run/straight away and just ride it..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:41 pm 
Yeah i agree. To be honest i only really want like 3 settings. min-halfway-max. most of the time i would prob just leave it at 120ish, which would cover most stuff i do at the min. but have the ability to raise it up for more DH orientated stuff. or lower it for climbs.

I have 140mm at the moment and i dont think i have ever reached the end of the travel. I go up wales a few times a year and on some of the steepest climbs i just know i would end up on my arse coz i wouldnt be able to keep the front down.

I hate faffing about so i would just want to spin a dial or something quickly to whack it to the bottom or back up like you said. Is it quick to do on the U turns.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:56 pm 
It is indeed.
Ive just done it....5 and a half full turns to take it from max to min. In around 6 seconds (all-be-it they are off the bike atm)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:59 pm 
Thanks for that. sounds easy. As you say for most of the year the bike will be set up before the ride, but for the few rides a year where the gradient gets a bit steep i would like to stick it down.

off the bike you say....... they wouldnt be up for sale would they??? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:29 pm 
Err, they could be, but the steerer is pretty short. Ill measure it tomorrow and let ya know what it is.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:14 am 
Cheers pal. no rush though. i will most probably be waiting till Nov to get some.