Forum

Post subject: Bike mechanics
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:04 pm 
Hey guys im looking to become a bike mechanic have already got my level 2 plan to do my level 3 a somepoint next year
how many of u do ur own work on ur bikes and howmany would take it to someone else
thanks Adam

Post subject: Re: bike mechanics
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:50 pm 
I worked on my bike and then taken to bike shop after losing patiences I found the outlay of cost is more expensive then taking to shop a good set of tools were it easier to take to a shop. It took me time to find a decent bike shop, And some I would never use again. I also use VW tools and his knowledge all depends on job and number off time can ask.

Notting better the fixing it your self with no cost.

Would like to got the Evans cycles as they do a night classes on basic mechanic but its at Lakeside and I don't have a car.

Level 2 and level 3 what ? Cost and were did you do Level 2 course?

edit: , And

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:32 pm 
Sweet mate well i will e based in chelmsford if thts any help and level 2 EAL which is the same a the cytech and it cost £1400 with travel for every day for 2 weeks and level 3 is the the same

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:44 pm 
Im an ex motor mechanic so do my own work on my bike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:31 am 
Done everything myself for years. If I get stuck, I get my mate from Fishers to come round and help me.

All I ever wanted to do was to work in a bike shop. Got the chance, worked in a bike shop for 6 months. Realised what a shit industry it was and left

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:17 am 
carl wrote:

snap, apprenticeship followed by 7 years of rebuilding anything and everything, restoring all sorts and then add in my own cars, i think i can cope with the odd iron horse.

--------------------------------------
Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:55 am 
I used to be a bike mechanic. Never got an offical qualification but theres not too much I dont know.
I never take my bike to a shop.

Im was looking to to starting up as my own work shop for a bit of extra work, but not sure how worth while have the qualification would be??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:07 am 
Also did some work as a bike mechanic in the past. Before that I just read loads of books and magazines and bought the tools as and when I needed them. Bike only goes to a shop when I need something I can't afford to get the tool for, like facing, re-threading or frame alignment. Since I moved to Essex 5 years ago the bike has never been to a shop for work and there is no decent bike shop nearby (Braintree). Wouldn't trust Cycles UK and they charge a fortune.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:11 pm 
VW-surfbum wrote:
carl wrote:

snap, apprenticeship followed by 7 years of rebuilding anything and everything, restoring all sorts and then add in my own cars, i think i can cope with the odd iron horse.

Done my apprenticeship at U.M.B.H Coaches Used to be at the top of pier hill before the Royals shopping centre was built 3 years day release at southend tech. Got big into yank motors left the coaches and went to work for a guy on canvey building dragster engines and repairing American cars, until got fed up with smelling like an oil can all the time. Now get the hump when motor goes wrong coz know whats involved in putting it right and hate every minute of being under a bonnet lol unless its a yank motor.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:37 pm 
I don't true my wheels but i do everything else
i also do most jobs on my cars too
self taught

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:07 pm 
With the right tools almost everyone should be able do most jobs on a bike, In Harlow there is a shop called hub and spoke which our club was involved in setting up, where you can take your bike and access all the correct tools and even do mechanic courses in exchange for volunteer time repairing other peoples bikes. I have been teaching city and guilds cycle mechanics for a while now and in my experience bar wheel truing the students breeze through most of the practical tasks. Most people are scared of by warranty warnings, but the approved service centres arent perfect most of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:58 pm 
Neil wrote:
With the right tools almost everyone should be able do most jobs on a bike, In Harlow there is a shop called hub and spoke which our club was involved in setting up, where you can take your bike and access all the correct tools and even do mechanic courses in exchange for volunteer time repairing other peoples bikes. .

What an awesome idea!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:04 pm 
Repair most of it myself, by using my brain and reading manuals.

If I get stuck I use youtube or post on a forum.

If I'm lazy or can't afford the tool (i.e. changing a cassette) then I go to a shop.

Haven't found a decent bike shop where they seem genuine or trustworthy yet in the whole Basildon, Canvey, Benfleet, Wickford area.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:22 pm 
I did an ACT course years ago. I find the only hassle I have is wheel building. Just don't have the knack just as yet but will do a course. Prob next year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:07 pm 
DMRdan wrote:
Haven't found a decent bike shop where they seem genuine or trustworthy yet in the whole Basildon, Canvey, Benfleet, Wickford area.

chelmercycles ;)

"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"