Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Carbon 456 build
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:24 pm 
Haha good stuff. All the components are the same as before apart from adding xt brakes and the dt forks. To be honest I don't have much to compare against as this has been my best bike by a mile including all the components. They are a bit of a miss match but they do the job well. Gear changes are nice, smooth and precise. Haven't really had a chance to test out the forks properly yet as haven't been out for a while, and the last time I did they didn't have enough air in them. They defo do the frame justice though weight wise. The suntour were just too heavy. I wasn't really using the full 140mm anyway so didn't have any issues dropping it a tad. They work so much better too.

The patches on the head tube are for extra strength. It's not the paint. It's where they have laid the carbon in a different direction. All in the name of science. Don't forget to put a bit of grease on the inside of your rear drop outs before putting them on. Will stop any squeaking an creaking. Don't know if you remember, I had a nightmare that day, couldn't find out what was making so much noise and happens to be the drop outs. A touch of grease and happy days.

Good luck with the build. Look forward to seeing it all built up!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:55 pm 
Heres a few pics of mine in the garden:

What do you think, as i said i have't ridden it yet, but think it'll be awesome as it's similar to my full-sus geometry wise but instant pick up and go from the fixed rear end and easier maintenenace for muddy epping rides.

I can't wait!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:23 pm 
They all look ace! Si, yours is even better than last time, bet those forks have transformed the ride. Out of interest, what heights are you lot and what frame sizes did you go for. I've been interested in a carbon 456 for awhile but can't afford it at the moment. Was think the 16 inch would do me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 pm 
I'm 6'2" and it's 18" for me, prefer the slightly smaller frame and extended seatpost look.

They are long and low anyway by design with the 18" having a 609mm top tube.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:56 pm 
Cheers. Yeah the fork suits it perfectly as well as looking the tits! Lol. I'm 6 foot at ride a 18. I have a 350mm seatpost and it is on the limit. the 16 would feel to snal for me but everybody has different preferences. I am sure there are loads of people who are similar height who ride 16 as well as 20. Your very welcome to have a go on mine. Next time I'm out with you guys we can have a swap.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:44 am 
SiG60 wrote:
Haha good stuff. All the components are the same as before apart from adding xt brakes and the dt forks. To be honest I don't have much to compare against as this has been my best bike by a mile including all the components. They are a bit of a miss match but they do the job well. Gear changes are nice, smooth and precise. Haven't really had a chance to test out the forks properly yet as haven't been out for a while, and the last time I did they didn't have enough air in them. They defo do the frame justice though weight wise. The suntour were just too heavy. I wasn't really using the full 140mm anyway so didn't have any issues dropping it a tad. They work so much better too.

The patches on the head tube are for extra strength. It's not the paint. It's where they have laid the carbon in a different direction. All in the name of science. Don't forget to put a bit of grease on the inside of your rear drop outs before putting them on. Will stop any squeaking an creaking. Don't know if you remember, I had a nightmare that day, couldn't find out what was making so much noise and happens to be the drop outs. A touch of grease and happy days.

Good luck with the build. Look forward to seeing it all built up!

I thought you had xt rear, my mistake. I was looking at going Sram route as they do some bling stuff. My eye was cought by the X0 as they do a gold version, but dont know much about Sram always had Shimano, I believe you have to run the Sram Shifters with the rear deraillieur due to the 1.1 pull ratio as Shimano has a 2.1 ratio? Front derailleur is 1.1 ratio on Sram and Shimano so can use Shimano front derailleur with Sram Shifter, as with the cassette both Sram and Shimano are interchangable?

I remember the creeking driving you mad lol. Interesting tip, i would never have thought of that, thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:57 am 
Duckcm18 wrote:
Heres a few pics of mine in the garden:

What do you think, as i said i have't ridden it yet, but think it'll be awesome as it's similar to my full-sus geometry wise but instant pick up and go from the fixed rear end and easier maintenenace for muddy epping rides.

I can't wait!

Nice and subtle but still looks as though it does the business, i like it.
I see you have gone the Sram-Shimano route too. What lengh forks are you running? I have the 150mm Revelation team going on, soon as the Headset arrives In gold of course ;) Cant wait to get mine finished and ride it.

And it looks to me as though your front deraillieur is set way too high? The outer plate of the deraillieur wants to be about 3mm above the outer ring.

Last edited by carl on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:08 pm 
They're adjustable from 140-95, so pretty capable for blasting round Epping in low mode and then wind them out for anything a bit more gnar!

I'm having trouble with the Shimano from as it's a 9 speed triple derrailleur and the Hi adjustment screw doesn't pull the cage out far enough to clear the chain from rubbing in any gear below 6th when on the second chainring. Looking to get a SRAM 10 speed specific one or try and find a longer bolt so I can use the bottom of the range and sacrifice the top part of the cassette when on the second chainring.

Another thing to note is that even though it's a 73mm bb, due to clearance issues with the chain rings and chain stay I've had to put 1 bb spacer on the off-side and 2 bb spacers on the drive side to accommodate the 2x10 chainset.

For SRAM X0 check out Chainreactioncycles.com, cheapest I found at £125 for a Med Cage if you're going 2x10 and they have them in Gold too. I would've got one but I got all the drivetrain (minus the Shimano Derrailleur) and shifters for £176 off eBay, only done 50 miles.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:12 pm 
carl wrote:
I thought you had xt rear, my mistake. I was looking at going Sram route as they do some bling stuff. My eye was cought by the X0 as they do a gold version, but dont know much about Sram always had Shimano, I believe you have to run the Sram Shifters with the rear deraillieur due to the 1.1 pull ratio as Shimano has a 2.1 ratio? Front derailleur is 1.1 ratio on Sram and Shimano so can use Shimano front derailleur with Sram Shifter, as with the cassette both Sram and Shimano are interchangable?

I remember the creeking driving you mad lol. Interesting tip, i would never have thought of that, thanks for the advice.

Oh I didn't know that. I was going to get some XT shifters but will hold fire now. Thanks for the info. What else do you have planned for it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:52 pm 
This brings another question to mind 2x10 or 3x10?Ii have yet to be convinced the 2x10 route is the way to go. Questions i have been asking myself... Is the small granny ring worth having, how often is it used? You have a limited range of gears when in the granny ring due to chain angle. Maybe someone can throw more light on the subject?

Next question.....Long or medium cage? According to the formula running a 3x10 set up would require a long cage i.e 42-32-24 x 36-11. Shimano quote Long = 45T Medium = 33T, Sram quote Long = 43T Medium = 37T short = 30T Doing the formula.. Subtracting the lower ring from the top ring 42-24 = 18 and the same with the cassette 36-11 = 25 then adding the 2 together 25+18 = 43T This falls into the long cage range of both makes.

But if you went 2x10 with a medium cage its a slightly different out come if you use a 11-36 cassette. Doing the same formula but using a double ring of 22-36T i.e 36-22=14, 36-11=25, 25+14=39T (out of range, prob need long cage?) using an 11-34 cassette brings the range to 37T (on the nose for sram-out of range for Shimano?) 11-32 cassette = 35T (inbetween both makes of medium cage) Is the difference in range this criticle? I think not.

Also it is possible to use a medium cage on a triple ring set up but does the loss of some gears due to the lack of range a medium cage has against a long cage warrent the advantages of crisper gear change and less chain slap? Although some loss of gears is not too much of a disadvantage as you wouldnt run big ring and big cog like wise with the granny ring and small cog anyway due to the angle of the chain. Or am i talking testicles? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:09 pm 
And here is the frame weight after spraying

Before

After

104 grams

2 coats of primer
2 coats of matt black
4 coats of matt lacquer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:49 pm 
Eccles wrote:
They all look ace! Si, yours is even better than last time, bet those forks have transformed the ride. Out of interest, what heights are you lot and what frame sizes did you go for. I've been interested in a carbon 456 for awhile but can't afford it at the moment. Was think the 16 inch would do me.

im 5'11 and got the medium frame. Go on raid the piggy bank and get one, and join the select few :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:53 pm 
SiG60 wrote:
carl wrote:

Oh I didn't know that. I was going to get some XT shifters but will hold fire now. Thanks for the info. What else do you have planned for it?

I think you can use any of the X series range though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:34 pm 
carl wrote:
This brings another question to mind 2x10 or 3x10?Ii have yet to be convinced the 2x10 route is the way to go. Questions i have been asking myself... Is the small granny ring worth having, how often is it used? You have a limited range of gears when in the granny ring due to chain angle. Maybe someone can throw more light on the subject?

Next question.....Long or medium cage? According to the formula running a 3x10 set up would require a long cage i.e 42-32-24 x 36-11. Shimano quote Long = 45T Medium = 33T, Sram quote Long = 43T Medium = 37T short = 30T Doing the formula.. Subtracting the lower ring from the top ring 42-24 = 18 and the same with the cassette 36-11 = 25 then adding the 2 together 25+18 = 43T This falls into the long cage range of both makes.

But if you went 2x10 with a medium cage its a slightly different out come if you use a 11-36 cassette. Doing the same formula but using a double ring of 22-36T i.e 36-22=14, 36-11=25, 25+14=39T (out of range, prob need long cage?) using an 11-34 cassette brings the range to 37T (on the nose for sram-out of range for Shimano?) 11-32 cassette = 35T (inbetween both makes of medium cage) Is the difference in range this criticle? I think not.

Also it is possible to use a medium cage on a triple ring set up but does the loss of some gears due to the lack of range a medium cage has against a long cage warrent the advantages of crisper gear change and less chain slap? Although some loss of gears is not too much of a disadvantage as you wouldnt run big ring and big cog like wise with the granny ring and small cog anyway due to the angle of the chain. Or am i talking testicles? :lol:

Not testicles no, but the SRAM 2x10 is a little different only having front chainring options of 27T-39Tand 28T-42T so the calculations are either 39T-27T=12T cassette 36T-11T=25T so 12+25=37T in range for medium cage SRAM mech or 42T-28T=16T cassette as above 16T+25T=41T which shows you need a Long Cage.

I have no problem in making rear shifts in the set-up I have with the Med cage on a 11-36 cassette, was a doddle to index as well.

In relation to using a shorter cage than recommended I don't think it's a major problem, but you do risk operating the mech outside of its recommended range possibly altering the spring tension and causing shifting issues in all gears as it may become too stressed IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:08 pm 
I assume your calculation is for using the X0 chainset? My calculations of a 22-36 double ring where based on the slx set, which comes out at 39T this i assume would have to be a long cage if i was to run double slx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next