Forum

Post subject: Coil vs Air shocks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:13 am 
There are a few trail shocks that use coils (Cane Creek db Coil CS and the Ohlins TTX22), yet the vast majority of shocks on the market are air shocks.

Any particular reason for this? Is it a weight thing or is it because air shocks easier to tune?

--------------------------------------
Specialized Enduro Comp 2015

Post subject: Re: Coil vs Air shocks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:31 am 
Can of worms here mate...

As I understand it an air shock is trying to be a coil... a coil is totally progressive and so best.

So I think it comes down to weight as you say...

Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

Post subject: Re: Coil vs Air shocks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:19 am 
While yes, weight is one of the main reasons why air shocks are preferred over coil this is not the only reason. Air springs are more easily adjusted to suit the rider weight and the type of trail that they are riding on (can be adjusted a single PSI at a time Vs coils springs that are normal set at 50 Nm (?) differences. At the moment a lot of enduro riding are using coil, this is because the trails that they are racing on can be 10-15 minutes long, over such a long period of hard use the shock will get hot changing the characteristics of the air density and how the shock preforms. Coil will be less effected. As for the progression (eg first inch of movement is easy, last inch of movement is stiffer and raps up), air and coil shocks are becoming more alike with new technology and damper designs, they are both heading into the same direction.

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING