Forum

Post subject: Cratoni C-Maniac (Helmet)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:05 am 
Hi all, Im looking into getting my first helmet and plan on doing cross country and a little down hill so ive not been sure what to get.

Was going to get a normal style helmet but after thinking about doing more downhill im also now thinking about a full face, Only problem with that is id feel a bit of a lemon wearing a full face on normal trails...

Anyways to get to my point ive just come across the Cratoni C-Maniac with removable chin guard and i'm thinking this would give me the best of both worlds without having to buy to helmets!

Has anyone had any experience with these helmets or this brand? any horror stories?!?

(Link to helmet)
http://www.cratoni.de/en/bike-helmets/1291794700_mr/c-maniac.html

Thanks for any help, Karl

Post subject: Re: Cratoni C-Maniac (Helmet)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:11 pm 
Ive no experience with that helmet or brand. However my tuppance worth is...For XC im sure its ok as long as its correctly certified. The chin bit may help a little if u faceplant a lot on an XC ride. Although if that was a regular enough occurrence to warrant that helmet id be spending some money on coaching instead.

However if you are doing some DH.... ie Danbury Woburn Aston then just get a full face. The chin guard on that thing is like a slalom helmet and would stop a ski pole but wont offer anywhere near the protection a full face will. Plus the base of your skull is still fully exposed.

A good full face can be had for £60.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:26 am 
Hi Krave thanks for the reply, the more ive been thinking about the subject the more ive been thinking along those same lines.
Honestly i think part of the problem is not wanting to look a tit, being a complete noob i didnt want to turn up all the gear and no idea.

After saying that though safety is an issue and if everyone else is using the same gear who cares rite?

Think im going to go for a full face as my first outing may well be danbury, then if i want something smaller for xc i guess its not going to be quite expensive!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:29 pm 
No one will think your trying to look like a pro if you have a full face... its standard issue for Danbury Woburn Aston Chickie these days :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:34 pm 
Just found myself a 661 comp helmet as new condition for 25 posted so will be getting that hopefully :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:33 am 
Personally i wouldnt even think about buying 2nd hand for a lid, yes it may be cheaper but you dont know if it has been dropped/used in anger and could fail when you need it
i would be looking at around 60 quid for a full face and about the same for an XC lid, you cant put too high a price on safety

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:31 am 
Yep, too true.

Heads can't be repaired, legs can

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:36 pm 
New lids are more than cheap enough

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:10 pm 
Whats your budget you are looking to spend on helmets?

I can see your idea of a 2 into 1 helmet but as has been mentioned the chin guard on these style helmets will not withstand a heavy impact the same way a normal full face helmet will.

Unfortunately helmets are one of those things which you pay for what you get, I personally have 4 mountain bike helmets for different types of riding and yes that's probably a bit excessive BUT all have their different uses. If you are mainly going to be doing XC for the moment get an XC lid and then save for a full face when your going to be doing more DH, or vice versa.

Think about something like this Giro Skyline for a basic XC helmet:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=74192

And this No Fear Prime II Evo Full face:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=57983

Both are basic lids but you can get both for just over £70 which is VERY CHEAP!

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

Post subject: Cratoni C-Maniac (Helmet)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:35 pm 
I have a new fox flux xc helmet and these new style ones give better coverage and venting. It fits the head nice and you don't know your wearing it after a while as its very comfy...

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:59 am 
It can be very difficult to buy the right helmet and even set a budget, when trying a helmet on you may find it does not fit right or is not comfortable to bear riding in for any lenght of time.
try a good few first to see how they fit and feel dont rush and dont be rushed.
I know realistically you would like to buy by price and get as much spec and design as poss but you need to be prepared to spend more if it's required for the right helmet that fit and feels right, don't buy on impulse and if you have to get two then you will just have to get two.
After a few months of trying a vast amount of helmets on with no luck on comfort and fit I finally found the right lid for me it do comfortable and I don't even know I'm wearing it, i found it after my missus tried it on when buying her bike and I had a quick test of it, I bought there and then it might be a women's or unisex but I'm happy and safe