Forum

Post subject: Downhill gear ratio's
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:36 am 
I'm going to go 10 speed and been looking at front cog size and rear cassette size's.
my 9 speed at the mo has a 32f and 11/32 rear.
i've just stuck a 38 on the front and waiting for a 11/23 cassette to turn up.(which is real downhill but not a climber)
but already thinking i should drop to a 36 up front and stick i higher cassette on the rear.

I just want some help on some set up's so i always have a set of cassette's and front cogs
in the car so i can change when needed. ie for climbing, or is there a good all round set up?

Or is that just all B****cks....!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------------------------
I’ve got problem for your solution…

Post subject: Re: Downhill gear ratio's
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:00 am 
Its a lot of b.locks as everyone has different abilities, i've just built mine with 22/36/44 (about to ditch the 44 as i dont think i'd ever use it) up front with 10 in the rear as that was the best value groupset i could find and its good, covers everything so far although i've only been out on it a handfull of times but the range is great, not worth worrying about, i read a long arsed thread on the merits and demerits of bashrings yesterday and they started going into gearing and cadence and all sorts of crap and it turns out the favoured combo is 36 or 34 up front with 10 in the rear as the range is comaparable to the older 3x9 set ups.

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:15 am 
unityjon wrote:
its a lot of b.locks as everyone has different abilities, i've just built mine with 22/36/44 (about to ditch the 44 as i dont think i'd ever use it) up front with 10 in the rear as that was the best value groupset i could find and its good, covers everything so far although i've only been out on it a handfull of times but the range is great, not worth worrying about, i read a long arsed thread on the merits and demerits of bashrings yesterday and they started going into gearing and cadence and all sorts of crap and it turns out the favoured combo is 36 or 34 up front with 10 in the rear as the range is comaparable to the older 3x9 set ups.

ok up front 36 or 34. but what about cassette range?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 am 
I tend to think that its how it feels to you when riding.

I know its a slightly different set up but on my 4x bike i run a 38t front with a shortened cassette. It's a 11-23 cassette but have shorted it so its only a 6spd rear with 12-19 (12.13.14.15.17.19). Want to cut it down to a 4 or 5spd but haven't gout round to it as yet.

Most people i know of tend to run 34/36T but I like that a 38T is great once you've got some power and speed behind you you can really motor!

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:06 pm 
Matt_Hillyard wrote:
I tend to think that its how it feels to you when riding.

I know its a slightly different set up but on my 4x bike i run a 38t front with a shortened cassette. It's a 11-23 cassette but have shorted it so its only a 6spd rear with 12-19 (12.13.14.15.17.19). Want to cut it down to a 4 or 5spd but haven't gout round to it as yet.

Most people i know of tend to run 34/36T but I like that a 38T is great once you've got some power and speed behind you you can really motor!

i've got a 38 on at the min i've not tested it properly yet just up and down the road but feels good.
but i'm pretty sure now with a 11/23 on the back it will only be good for downhill.
so will need diffrent cassette for climing which will only happen when i go wales.

Well thank for all your help i'll just see how it turn's out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:13 pm 
I've got 36T front and 11-32 rear, but going to try a 11-25 road cassette next as I never use the bigger sprockets. Smallest I ever really use is 24.

I used to be a lot like you but now I'm only me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:23 pm 
I use a 34*11-34

I cant remember spinning out and the low gears help when getting to cheeky trails or ridge line stuff when abroad. I specifically swapped out a 11-26 dh cassette to run that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:44 pm 
I've got 1 x 10 running a 36T 11-36 I think on my bike. I've only used the top 3 cogs when it's steep, generally mooch about in the 4th.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:39 pm 
DeanVentana wrote:
unityjon wrote:
its a lot of b.locks as everyone has different abilities, i've just built mine with 22/36/44 (about to ditch the 44 as i dont think i'd ever use it) up front with 10 in the rear as that was the best value groupset i could find and its good, covers everything so far although i've only been out on it a handfull of times but the range is great, not worth worrying about, i read a long arsed thread on the merits and demerits of bashrings yesterday and they started going into gearing and cadence and all sorts of crap and it turns out the favoured combo is 36 or 34 up front with 10 in the rear as the range is comparable to the older 3x9 set ups.

ok up front 36 or 34. but what about cassette range?

sorry its 11-36

as for spinning out that really only happens when on tarmac going down big hills ! and it feels low enough to get up virtually anything if you have the stamina, the small difference between each cassette gear leads to very smooth changes too

It doesn't matter what you ride