Forum

Post subject: Fabric storage keg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:11 pm 
http://new.fabric.cc/bottles/cageless-toolkeg

"The Fabric Tool Keg Bottle is a handy way to carry your tools and other bits rater than stuffing your saddle bag or jersey pockets. Like the innovative cageless Fabric water bottles, the Tool keg is also cageless which makes your bike look super clean. Simply screw in the two bolts supplied with the keg into your bottle boss mounts and then slide the keg over the bolts. Coming supplied with a neoprene bag its helps stop the rattling of tools and other items. Make your bike completely cageless and free up your jersey pockets with this great storage option."

So I have just purchased one of these storage kegs as I am interested in moving weight off my back on to the bike (still going to use a camelback, not going the whole enduro begging and borrowing of other people's tools route). I have looked at other storage tubs and cages and set ups but the fabric set up works best for me I think.

The first reason is bottle placement or lack of should that be, on my banshee the only water bottle tabs are on the down tube on the underside exactly where my bike rack clamps when on the car so a traditional cage would not fit (and I wouldn't want to remove the cage every time I go for a road trip ect). The fabric keg has the same system as their bottles with two tabs that bolt in the the cage mounts on the frame and a intergrated clip design in the bottle. This means my bike rack will work fine. I did have look at specialized cage as well as they intergrate a multi tool and co2 pump into it as well but it would add to the cost of items I already have and items that I prefer to use in the first place ect

The keg comes with a neoprene bag to make removing items easier and also make less noise with jiggling items. First time loading it up with tools and spares ended in a mini game of Tetris trying to get maximum amount of bits in but still be able to get access to the most important tool (multi tool) first. In the end I was able to get:

Chain breaker, co2 tool and spare canisters, small bottle of stans, multi tool, spare mech hanger.

All this added up is 500 (weighed again after a shuffle of bits, 600g) odd grams off my back on to the frame and makes a huge difference to my bag weight. I recon you could get a few more small items (tyre leavers maybe, patches, valve core and remover, magic links) in but I already keep them in a small pot in my bag. Will see how useful the post is and see if the pot stays were it should with it clip system and report back...

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

Last edited by Mattvanders on Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fabric storage keg
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:11 pm 
Have you tried using a fanny pack rather than a full rucksac?

I find it very liberating.

My EVOC bag is gathering dust big time.

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:57 pm 
AHA you where showing us this on Sundays Ride Matt, but no room for a spare tube.

Dependant on ride I'm doing and length both ride and time out is what pack I take, longer riders I take my bigger pack, or I have a smaller pack to use on smaller riders but able to fit in essential tools.

Ade and Geoff ride with fanny packs and these look interesting as also have the water bladders as well...

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:25 pm 
I think think because fabric comes from a road sort of background they did not make the keg that big so a 29er tube would struggle to get fit. I have not tried a fanny pack before (and I don't see myself getting one either - can't store that much it them and they don't look like that would be that comfortable to fall on compared to a back pack). One problem i have is I quiet often go out for a spin on my own locally so while I am not that far away in the grand scheme I could still be over an hour walk back home if everything fails big time I always have everything and the kitchen sink with me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:33 pm 
Mattvanders wrote:
I think think because fabric comes from a road sort of background they did not make the keg that big so a 29er tube would struggle to get fit. I have not tried a fanny pack before (and I don't see myself getting one either - can't store that much it them and they don't look like that would be that comfortable to fall on compared to a back pack). One problem i have is I quiet often go out for a spin on my own locally so while I am not that far away in the grand scheme I could still be over an hour walk back home if everything fails big time I always have everything and the kitchen sink with me

Yep same as you, always take the needed kit in case of mechanicals,

May look into the one of these bottle cans as then take the weight out of the pack as you say.. I have a tool roll then just swop between packs

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:42 pm 
Right it's been almost 3 months of use so what do I think of it...

Well the first month and a bit went very well, used on both bikes (hard tail with bottle on down tube internal and trail bike with bottle on down tube external) and had no problem. Stayed in place even when jumping and other general trail ridding. No water got in and because it was rammed with a lot of kit nothing could move around so no noises.

And then at the bottom of the first trail, on the first day while out in Italy I looked down to see that it was no longer there, ass. Our guild was helpful enough to take us down the trail again to see if it was still there, thankfully it was sat in the middle of the trail 50 meters in. Even that part of the trail was not particularly rough but I did think that the keg might of come out due to a) not being put back in properly after traveling b) a rock had been flung up and knocked the keg out c) there was too much weight in it that helped to fling it off (hard to believe this as they do water bottles that would have more weight in them when fall).. Either way I was not happy.

The rest of the trip I ended up keeping the keg in my bag. On the return to the uk I ended up looking up Velcro straps on eBay to try and keep carry on using the keg but making sure it could not escape again. Found a lovely wide long one that works fine and so far so good. Would I recommend the keg? i would say no but I will still keep using mine with the strap as I still don't want to run a cage due to bike rack.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:38 am 
Best storage solution in my opinion is the Specialized stumpjumper and enduro, they have the swat storage hole in the down tube..!!
You can fit loads into it.. :)
Or as @mwmlarge said buy bum bag like camelbak Palos or something similar...
Also...Fabric now do an insulated bottle good for hot or cold liquid, great to fill with coffee goes well with cake.. :lol: :lol:

Stay on target...!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 am 
Was having a read on these yesterday over on Factory Jackson. They mentioned how you can adjust the tightness of the mounts by screwing them in for more grip. Just wondering if you tried this, cos they do look quite good, but would be a shame if they can't hold half a kg over testing ground.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:59 pm 
I'd admite that the spesh swat box, just a shame you have to buy a spesh for it lol What I found with the screws was that the more you tightened them up the harder it was to get the keg to sit fully home (if it was a bottle I would see this being more of a problem with it being removed/put back a number of times in a ride). I will have another play with the bolts tightness to see if now its been used a few times the plastichas worn or moved abit. As I said my strap now keeps it fully in place

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:05 pm 
I use this, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/1-bottle-ca ... 25469.html

Doesn't upset me when jumping and doesn't make me clammy as it sits below waist level.

Oh and Dirt cheap

This is the one i wanted but can't find anywhere

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058 ... IKXVR66PMF

Bike pics

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:15 pm 
nwmlarge wrote:
I use this, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/1-bottle-ca ... 25469.html

Doesn't upset me when jumping and doesn't make me clammy as it sits below waist level.

Oh and Dirt cheap

I got one after seeing yours and its great for rides that dont require loads of fluid or tools

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:49 pm 
Exactly, If I go out for a long one then I have the back pack on.

Bike pics