Forum

Post subject: Fooking stupid front derailleuir
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:03 pm 
Hello all...would love some advice please..thing fooking thing is driving me mad..i actually shouted F@~k at it earlier..
i have fitted a new slx front mech and have sl510 shifters 9 speed shifters..
i just cant get it set up like my old deore lx..i have followed the instructions,watched many youtube vids and search loads of posts here to..
sooo..set up like the manual says..undo cable,back out barrel a tad. put into 1st and set chain using screws to 1m from inner plate..do up cable..shift in 27th and adjust using screw to 1m of outer plate..
so at this point its in 27th but rubbing on other plate and the screw does nothing,its well out..can get it 1m away but have to use barrel adjuster!!!!..then it says,intermediate. set to 10th and set 1m away from inner plate using barrell..now 10th it not necessary but do need 13 to 16th..so i do that using barrel and that messes up 27th!!!!!..all i want it to do is 1 to 6..13 to 16 and 24 to 27th..
i have tried so many differany combos of settings and i just cant get it..got it close once, but it was only just missing...any advice???..what am i doing wrong??...many thanks....Z

also height i set ok,its about 1/2mm of the top cog..

Post subject: Re: fooking stupid front derailleuir
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:16 pm 
Main thing to check is that the mech is sitting straight and at the right hight. Is a 9 speed front as the 10 speed ones are a narrower. make sure your cable is routed in the right and that it sitting in the small divot under the pinch bolt.

--------------------------------------
www.ridetransitionbikes.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:36 am 
I feel your pain, after Tuedays jaunt i noticed a frayed cable on my front mech so decided to replace it, got in a right mess and had twiddled the little screws more than i can remember in ever direction and generally lost my rag with it. Last night i spent about 3 hrs on it much to the annoyance of Mrs but i think i have solved it, its not quite 100% but damn close, this is what i did (finally)

1) undo cable clamp from frotn mech and release cable
2) wind in then back off 4 turns ( 2 may be adequate but 4 gives more !) the adjuster in the shift leaver.
3)put the shifter to the center gear and put the chain on the center cog and position the mech BY HAND so its central and then clamp the cable up firm.
4) back off both limit screws by about 7 complete turns, right out ! (they are limit screws not adjusters, they only limit the movement of the mech they dont adjust anything !)
5) check the derailleur is aligned properly front to back and side to side, adjust frame clamp if necessary
6) shift onto the small cog up front (large in rear) and adjust the 'L' limit screw inward so there is 0-1mm gap between chain and cage, this setting stops the chain falling past the small cog. Test your limit by turning the crank and shift up BY PRESSING ON THE CABLE (never use the shifter at this point) the chain will shift to the center cog and as soon as you release the cable it will shift back down again, should be a smooth action taking no more than one complete turn of the crank, you can speed it up by adjusting the 'L' screw if it takes too long (i settled on 1/2 a crank revolution ?)
7) now shift up to the large front cog and small rear cog and adjust the 'h' screw the same as you did for the 'L' screw so there is a 0-1mm gap between cage and chain, check adjustment again by shifting back down to the center and then shifting up by putting pressure on the cable (not using the shifter) , you can adjust the 'H' scew to allow the derailleur to move further outward when under tension if the chain doesnt shift up smoothly, until it does

Hope this helps, it got mine working again but i get a very small amount of rub in top gear that i may be able to adjust with the cable tension, was getting moaned a t so never got that far.

P.S found this online which basically (better? ) describes the adjustment in english....

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:00 pm 
Thanks for replys..norcbot,checked all u said and its ok..unityjon,thats quite differant the way u discribe..i might give it a go in the morning..sounds like u been having a nightmare to..i got it close today, but its 0.5 away from the cage in 13th and 27th and im not happy with it..thanks again..ill keep ya posted..Z

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:20 pm 
Fixed it....lbs shop couldn't do it for a couple of days so i had another try..in 1st i set the chain as close to the outer cage as i could get with screw..nipped up cable then moved it back towards the inner cage with adjuster..this seemed to have given me 12th without rubbing and 27th without rubbing..hallelujah..thanks all...Z