Forum

Post subject: Fork Advice
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:24 am 
So now I've had my bonus and a whole bunch of invoices have come in I want to sort out a reasonable pair of forks.

I'm currently looking at these 2012 Rockshox Reba RL ones.

I currently have a pair of Recon Silver's, which are loads heavier, so there's one immediate benefit, but I have to ask is there any reason I shouldn't buy these?

Also if I get 120mm travel when the current ones are 100mm am I going to notice a change in geometry much or should I stick with the rebound length that the bike came with?

--------------------------------------
http://www.moohcowh.co.uk

Post subject: Re: Fork Advice
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:33 am 
It will make the head angle more slack and if the bike is designed to only take 100mm stick with 100mm or you will be putting stress on the headtube area of the frame which could lead to it failing and you will have no warranty as you will have run longer travel forks.

Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:56 am 
I'm running these I have the 100mm as that was the only option in q/r 6weeks ago but I think they can be internally adjusted.
I'm not sure on performance yet as I've been off bikes for a few years and am only doing easy bridleways linked with country roads.
But I've done about 100 miles on them and they were easy to set up as have sag marked on and have been fit and forget. Poploc is a nice feature smooth sprint climbs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:04 pm 
20mm is not going to make the world of difference in terms of stress on the head tube. But as Matt mention it will void your warranty.... if you tell them.....

100mm is perfect for XC. There are generally no overall benefits in longer travel for XC riding.

Why do you want longer travel though?

http:www.ttspersonaltraining.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:11 pm 
I don't mean to steal the thread I was last riding a spesh enduro, im now on an ebay purchased rockhopper would a 100mm hardtail get around a welsh trail centre ?. When funds allow I'm thinking of swapping for a 456 frame to cover all the bases

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:21 pm 
Steal away, I've ordered the 100mm version as Merlin just took another 10% off them for the weekend!

Why was I considering longer travel? Because I'm looking at upgrading my frame next summer and wasnt sure what to get so thought 120mm would cover more bases.

I'll just have to factor in new really expensive forks into the frame build costs next year :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:48 pm 
Mooh exactly my plan with me working just 18hrs a week and being a house husband who was not riding.I could not justify having my enduro rusting in the garage. Sold it on eBay for £1900 paid for hols and my £200 barley used 10 rockhopper now stealthily spewing it up with bits ready for my frame change.
If I can internal adjust the fork I will and if I crack the frame that would be a shame :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:57 pm 
Thats understandable.

You could get the 120mm and pop a spacer in until you ready to swap frames.

http:www.ttspersonaltraining.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:06 pm 
Oh also, if you use quidco.com you can get 3% cash back on merlin purchases ontop of any other discounts!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:32 pm 
Thats a good deal on those forks. i would get the longer travel and then add a travel spacer when you get them ( they should come with them). its an easy job.

www.ridetransitionbikes.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:13 pm 
Madas... I run a '09 Rockhopper and like to think I put it through its paces around Hockley, Hadleigh, Danbury and Thorndon.

I shall be hitting the trail centres this year including Wales and my main requirement was upgrading the entry level Darts. I don't know what model Rockhopper you have but I've moved up to Recon Silver Coil and it's a very noticeable positive difference (stayed 100mm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:32 pm 
I started on a hard rock 10 years ago and feel I have gone full circle. Loving the rockhopper. I did cwn carn and Cody on the hard rock on the hard rock and xc in the alps. I'm not missing six inches front and rear but feeling trail centres have prob changed since then. I'm planning my first spin around Danbury in years sunday afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:49 pm 
What level RockHopper is the current though? Mine is SL hence the low end forks.. But the upgrade to Recons is great.

I love the riding characteristics of the bike, extremely chuckable, twitchy and fast. I've had brief goes on bigger travel bikes but they feel too slack for my style.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:53 am 
God knows surfer eBay special :) it now has reba forks,deore chain set and will soon have an x7 rear derailer and shifters. It will be in a few weeks as parcels turning up while we are off school are difficult to explain :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:55 am 
So my new shiny forks have arrived, they're a 1 1/8 steerer and I have a 1.5 crown to stick on it, but the bridge/steerer point on forks is huge in comparison, does this mean I don't need to bother with the crown?

Last edited by Mooh on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.