Forum

Post subject: So I am going 29er, advice please
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:26 pm 
Great shake down in Surrey Hills. Am used to steel hardtails so the back end felt a little bit chattery on the downs to start with ( heels more down, looser legs sorted it). But I am sold, I always find the key to a good run in Surrey Hills is keeping your speed and that was easy yesterday.

It was weird in that it didn't really feel that different to my 26er until you flew into a corner, forgetting what you were on and did not quite lean it over as far as you should!

Jon- i am pleased to confirm it likes the air including the odd gap jump :)

Joel- a crosser? Won't that make your downhill to work a little too interesting?

Nigel

Post subject: Re: So I am going 29er, advice please
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:53 pm 
Glad you enjoyed it.

There are some truly converted preacher 29er riders here in NZ. I am still loving the 26 carbon nomad for now but will admit to riding it with the forks dialled down and the pro pedal on for most trails and only getting it in full on rowdy mode when the steep stuff comes out to play.

yes the crosser does make things interesting - teeth chattering syle on the washed out trails and given the lack of a granny ring pretty darn tough up the hills!

Post subject: Re: So I am going 29er, advice please
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:54 am 
Unless you're racing the only 29er is a fat bike imo, I've been on a Surly Pugsley for about 4 years & love it. Trying to ride it without grining is like trying to eat a fruit pastal without chewing :). It goes anywhere, you'll run out of power before you run out of grip, depending on tyre pressure I have 6 to 10 times the amount of rubber on the ground as a normal 29er. Its on 26" rims but the 4" wide tyres are 3.25" deep so stand 29" tall. Don't believe the people who say they're cumbersome, the Pug isn't & as well as being 29" my wheels alone weigh 10lbs each, bikes 35lbs total. Desipte that I used to run it round Dalby red route in 2h 15m, half the guide time. The only thing I'd swap it for is a Surly Moonlander, the ultimate XC bike, in terms of nothing else available will cross a greater variety of terrain or do it as effortlessly, so want one, its tyres are 5" x 31", try stopping that :). The only down side is that you're going to need £153 worth of tyres every 2k miles ouch. I'll be putting the Pug in the buy & sell thread when I get round to it, £850 ono if anyones interested. That's almost half the price of a stock one & mine is in pretty good condition with a way better spec, cost me £2250.