Forum

Post subject: Might go twin ring (crank)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:21 pm 
Hey Ladys

Bike, 2011 Cube Race ltd hardtail 3x10 speed

after over a 1000 miles this winter of hard riding my complete crank set/chain/cassette is shortly going to need replacing, i was thinking of going full XT and keeping the 3x10 but then i thought what about going 2x10 ?

so im after any advice from those in the know who have done this

sort of things id like to know is how you found going from 3 ring to 2

Some suggestions on make and models of twin ring kits with bash plate and chain guide, was thinking Saint?

do i need to change the front mech

do i need a different ratio cassette

is it still a standard 10sp chain

crank arm length ie 160 170 175, any advantages disadvantages , have 175 at the moment..

im a mostly XC rider but do ride quite fast and hard with some minor down hill and jumps.

cheers

--------------------------------------
I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

Post subject: Re: might go twin ring (crank)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:33 pm 
I,m doing the same mate.as far as I know you just replace the third ring with the bash ring,and I've got a blackspire stinger guide on the way...only 22/25 quid and good reviews.I'm sure someone will give you better advice though!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:34 pm 
Festa wrote:
Hey Ladys

Bike, 2011 Cube Race ltd hardtail 3x10 speed

after over a 1000 miles this winter of hard riding my complete crank set/chain/cassette is shortly going to need replacing, i was thinking of going full XT and keeping the 3x10 but then i thought what about going 2x10 ?

so im after any advice from those in the know who have done this

sort of things id like to know is how you found going from 3 ring to 2

Some suggestions on make and models of twin ring kits with bash plate and chain guide, was thinking Saint?

do i need to change the front mech

You'll need to move the front mech to match the size of your new outer ring.

Festa wrote:
do i need a different ratio cassette

is it still a standard 10sp chain

crank arm length ie 160 170 175, any advantages disadvantages , have 175 at the moment..

im a mostly XC rider but do ride quite fast and hard with some minor down hill and jumps.

cheers

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:41 pm 
Cheers thats a start, no problem moving the mech but wondered if id need to replace it with a 2 ring specific one.

prob going to replace the whole crank rather than convert my current one as all rings are worn and BB is sounding a bit dodgy so not worth replacing parts might as well just get a new complete twin ring set up such as the Saint one etc...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:56 pm 
No need to get another front mech, just adjust you limit screw accordingly.

A saint is over kill for XC, the SLX range these days is very good and the weigh penalty is minor compared to XT.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

Crank arm length can make a difference , but a good rule of thumb is to stick to the length that came with the bike unless you feel it needs to change.

http:www.ttspersonaltraining.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:02 pm 
Only other thing you'll need to consider is will you spin out on a 2x10 setup? I've got both 3x10 and 2x10 on my bikes and on long downhill straights I've nearly spun out on the 2x10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:17 pm 
WhyteBoy wrote:
Only other thing you'll need to consider is will you spin out on a 2x10 setup? I've got both 3x10 and 2x10 on my bikes and on long downhill straights I've nearly spun out on the 2x10

this is the sort of thing i need to be sure of before i take the plunge, i do get some pace up at times especially if we come across a long fast fire road etc were i have got into 30th gear many times, with the 2x10 i dont really understand the ratios compared to a 3x10, i took it as the front rings are different to compensate ?

i did test ride a Mondraker Dune 2x10 a while back (on road only) and when in top gear it didn't really feel much different to top gear on my 3x10

as a side note, ive just noticed some play in my current crank, if i hold both crank arms and push and pull theres a rocking motion/play of about 1-2mm, BB need a tighten up?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:37 pm 
Run 2 chainrings and change the size of the biggest to say 36t. As for the crank play, what crank is it ? If its shimano xt undo the pinchbolts on the non drive side then tighten the centre cap up with open pliers or the proper tool just to take the play out then do up the pinchbolts.

Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:54 pm 
Cheers Steve thats sorted the play out :)

i do fancy the twin ring setup, long as i can get the ratios right so i dont loose the top end torque i get from the big ring, as you say a 36 may be just what i need...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:02 pm 
The 3x10 is designed for less recovery shifts when you change upfront if you go 2x10 and don't care about shifting twice to recover then don't sweat it, but do swap up to a 36t in front to help prevent the spinning out

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:21 pm 
Festa MBR magazine have a comparison of an average 3x10 gear ratios in inches.Cant get a good copy onto the pc but found this online

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

the chart attached is kind of what MBR was illustrating. on a 3x10 set up only 8 gears are unique, the others being reproduced on the bigger chain rings.

Thats about the extent of my understanding
Attachments:
gears.png
gears.png [ 30.6 KiB | Viewed 536 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:03 pm 
Have a look at my build thread page 2 i have been talking about it. ive gone for the 3x10 in the end as i looked into this a fair bit and a lot of posts i read said it is slightly harder going up hill as you lose the lower gears, and as we spend more time going up hill than we do going down. But depend on which way you go middle and granny ring or outer and middle ring and what ring ratio too Some will probably disagree? And the setting up is quite different too you might need a new front deraillieur and 2 speed selecter, front deraillieur you could probably adjust so it wont try to change on to the missing ring if you keep the 3 speed selecter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:10 pm 
Cassette is the same but your biggest advantage running 2x10 would be to put a medium cage rear deraillieur on for sharper crisper changing. Also they say 2x10 is almost the same as a 3x9 set up. you would need a shorter chain too if you put a medium derailliuer on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:13 pm 
Prefer a 3x on a HT for summer, can get away with two rings for mud and snow but when the trails are dry prefer the big ring option.

2 ring on a FS is fine as they roll over obstacles but on a HT roots and rocks impacts on the back wheel slow it down.