Forum

Post subject: New bike time - what shall I get?!
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:01 am 
Hey

Have been meaning to get out for a ride with you guys for ages - but managed to break my ankle last week so that ride is going to have to wait for a while!

It's going to be a long 6 weeks for me - no bike, no walking the dog and no work, so I've decided that the best way to keep myself occupied is to search for a new bike... and that's where I'd be grateful for some advice from you guys.

It will probably be 6 months before my ankle is up to proper FR / DH (poor Voltage, locked in the garage and neglected). So in the meantime, I need to get something more XC/AM focused so I can build my fitness / strength back up.

My recovery goal is to go to Spain for a XC/AM week with Singletrack Safari in mid October so whatever I get has to be up to that... It's gotta be a full bouncer and I'm more bothered about it being good on the descents than the climbs - although that said, the easier it climbs the better! The rest of the time I'll be using it locally (Broxbourne, Epping) and also for some trail centre trips (Coed y Brenin, Cannock Chase).

I only need to get a frame and shock - and I'm not fussed whether it's brand new or second hand. Haven't really set a budget yet...will decide how much I want to spend when I know what my options are... Think my main problem with going 2nd hand will be getting something small enough to fit me, there doesn't seem to be that many XS frames about.

What do you suggest then guys, any advice much appreciated! :D

Post subject: Re: New bike time - what shall I get?!
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:47 am 
Ouch! Healing vibes to you, Beth.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:17 pm 
6 months? Na.....you'll be riding sooner than that.
When I split my shin bone in half, they told me I would never be able to ride again.
After surgery, I was walking after the 6 weeks, was riding XC stuff after 8 and jumps and DH after 12.
Your body will tell you if its too much by hurting like fuck!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:51 pm 
Oh hope you get well soon!
Would you consider a hardtail or are you after a full sus?

--------------------------------------
www.ridetransitionbikes.co.uk - SBC

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:04 pm 
Thanks Beardee :)

Lawbags - I hope so because I'm struggling to survive even a week off the bike... and being off work has lost its novelty value now as well!
I should be back on my XC bike by 3 months and will just see how it's feeling DH-wise - I don't want to rush it because I've already had trouble with my ankles and I don't want to balls the joint up completely...

How did you break your shin? Good to hear that you got back to riding quick though - were you weight-bearing at all during the 6 weeks?

Wenmen - cheers :D Definitely looking for a full-sus...any suggestions??

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:30 pm 
I over-roated a big 360 over a double. I bailed out and landed from about 20ft in the air with my leg straight, My thigh slammed into my shin, moving my knee cap round in the process. I heard it go. I managed to move the knee cap back. Got pics here.....

I wasn't weight bearing for any of it. But with 2 weeks to go, I started making the walking motions to get the muscles built back up. They rekon your muscles take twice as long as the time off them, to build back up.
Ive smashed my ankle and loads of toes before, and never been back riding so quick as I was smoking and eating shit.

Some quick healing tips (Ive snaped enough bones):
If you smoke, stop. It'll double healing time.
Dont drink alchol or take drugs. The key to quick healing is a good blood flow, so anything that goes into your blood stream slows it down.
Eat unsalted peanuts and raisns and sardines.
Avoid salty stuff, red meat, caffine, sugary foods.

My sofa has never recovered from my 6 weeks sitting on it! Band of Brothers saw me through a few days!
Good luck :D

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:06 pm 
Ouch! That looks nasty! What did you think of Kent and Sussex - that's where I went to A&E as I was down at the Bull Track when I did my ankle. Was pretty impressed by the service :)

Thanks for the healing tips! Am doing some already, but eating sardines, please god no!

Got another appointment with the surgeon tomorrow to see what it's up to...fingers crossed it hasn't moved and the surgeon will agree to change my cast!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:10 pm 
You really want to know?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:16 pm 
Oh, that doesn't sound good! You can tell me, I'm not being treated there any more!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:18 pm 
I transfered to East Surrey.
My friend gave birth there, her and her baby both caught MRSA.
Plus they couldnt fit in my surgery for 2 weeks, by which time it would have started healing all spit and gammy and therefore need re-breaking.
Plus they mis-diagnosed a broken finger once so I cant straighten it now. Its all squew wiff.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 pm 
Have you thought about one of these :lol:

"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"

Post subject: New bike time - what shall I get?!
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:00 pm 
2nd person I know to have busted there ankle on the bike recently!

Get well soon.

http://www.TritonCycles.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:59 pm 
Heal up fast and muchos sympathy out to Tom having to run around for weeks on end getting you stuff! ;)

Get one of these Beth

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/st4-diva_pro/
http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/five-diva_pro/

Single pivot so will ride like ur Scott
come in tiny sizes
available as a frameset

also check out

http://www.yeticycles.com/#/bikes/ASR5Carbon/1/ - comes in a tiny size
http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/lapierr ... ifications - a lady zesty - bad ass
http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/juliana/ - a santa cruz dialed for women - slick

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:10 am 
You thought of a Kona one20? Quite light with 5" rear travel. Been thinking of replacing my Dawg with one to save some weight and have a better shock:

[url]http://www.ashcycles.com/site/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_17&products_id=4795
[/url]

They do it in a 14"....

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:26 am 
I did the same as lawbags, i took the side off my tibia and had metal work and bone graft. was riding at herts 4 weeks later :) :)

http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk