Forum

Post subject: SPD Advice...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:05 pm 
Ok, so I've been convinced to go over to spd's, and just bought myself some trail XT SPD pedals, and just about to get so shoes....... But, all I want to know is there and good or bad ways to set them up, etc, etc...

Cheers ;)

--------------------------------------
SPS Santa Cruz V10c / Lapierre Spicy

Post subject: Re: SPD Advice...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:17 pm 
I'm led to believe it's important to get them set up properly. My roadie mate had some problems with his knees when he set up his shoes himself and they were slightly misaligned, over time (and hundred of miles) it was inflaming some ligament or tendon. He went to a shop somewhere, they analysed how he pedalled, and set them up accordingly. It's probably less important for us riding real bikes ( :D ) due to much less pedalling, but definitely something to bear in mind.

Having said that, I just stuck the cleats in the bottom of mine, found what felt right in about 30 seconds, and I've never had a problem. Somewhere between these two ways of thinking is probably the optimum solution :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm 
I found that I got a better feeling when I had them very loose, but when moving tightening bolt on the pedals be careful not to over do it, as it doesn't go back in!

It's probably best to look at how you have been using flats and then set the cleat alignment so it matches reasonably closely, I find pointing them in slightly helps get the position I like.

Did you get the XT780's? I picked those up last month, and found they were excellent in comparison to my old 530's.

http://www.moohcowh.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:43 pm 
Set them loose to start with otherwise you'll probably end up on the floor still clipped in with the bike on top of you haha or come to a stop and fallen over sideways (not that I've this) then you can tighten up the pedals to suit!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:11 pm 
It is very imporant to set up the cleats properly to prevent knee damage as already mentioned. The XT's will have a certain ammount of float to help reduce it. There are different methods to set them up but just look online for advice.
Here's a site but no pics:
http://bikemagic.com/gear/how-to/mainte ... leats.html
Also look on youtube for vids.
As also stated start with a loose tension at first so you can get out quickly until you become accustomed to them.

www.gw-designs.co.uk/home

Post subject: SPD Advice...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 pm 
Been reading this with interest, I was thinking about going over to SPD's , I've been using strapless toe clips. But I'm recovering from a broken leg under my knee and the comments about knee trouble may have put me off, would I be better with the pedals with grub screws? Any advice would be good cheers and sorry for jumping in the topic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:21 pm 
I've bought the M785's.... And have just fitted them, done my shoes, slackened off the pedals as mentioned, set the shoes as per how I like.... And done!!!!! Clip in and out lovely, feels about right on the back pedal. But to be sure I'm going to test ride them over brentwood park a bit tomorrow before I go out properly Sunday.

Thanks for the advice people, and if I get any probs, I'll be sure to ask ;)

Last edited by NickTKS on Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:35 am 
Spd's are the work of the devil himself...!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:43 am 
Damo...... I spent years saying that, but if you going to be pedal pounding like I am, they are the way to go - although if i have to, I do have a pair of fresh V12s I bought for it ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:41 am 
Lol,, i used to ride them for years mate but too many crashes and not being able to bail. Also coming up to traffic lights i went to put my foot down, couldnt unclip and toppled over with the bike still attatched, .... never, ever again..1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:21 am 
I have a set kicking about indoors but i have yet to try them
i'll keep an eye out for some shoes i think

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:34 am 
I never leave home without them :)

http:www.ttspersonaltraining.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:45 pm 
Ride properly with them Sunday, and I'm hooked (excuse the pun)... The power delivery you can turn out with them, when you dial the technique is unreal!!!!! Example, the fire trail that runs through Thorndon, I used to hit 26/27 mph...... 36.8mph!!!! I nearly spun out 27th, Lol!!!
Couldn't fault them, for XC...... Still don't think is be comfortable jumping or running DH in them though :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 pm 
I use them all the time. Good for falling into rivers with :) . Other than that I find the power transfer a big plus. Must set them up right though, can usually tell within a mile or so if they're not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:50 am 
Gudge wrote:
Been reading this with interest, I was thinking about going over to SPD's , I've been using strapless toe clips. But I'm recovering from a broken leg under my knee and the comments about knee trouble may have put me off, would I be better with the pedals with grub screws? Any advice would be good cheers and sorry for jumping in the topic

Don't go for the shimano spd, have a look at the crank brothers clipless, they have pedals for super lightweight XC to downhill. There's no fiddly setting up and you get plenty of movement when clipped in.
I love em!

And the biggest advice to all spd & clipless is......

DONT FORGET YOU ARE USING THEM, or you will make a tit of yourself!

Tally ho lads over the top we go!