Forum

Post subject: What 160mm suspension frame?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:52 pm 
Time for the great debate.

I am heading to NZ (see my for sale thread) and it looks like I will be selling my DH frame but keeping the RS Totems (coil 180mm) and the Saint brakes. In addition to this I have a set of Fox 36 Talas forks(160-120mm) and all the kit to build a frame into a new bike.

So the plan is to buy a new frame I can use for general riding with the Talas forks on, then if I want to hit up some of the big stuff I can pop on the Totems to slacken up the bike and add some beef!

For all this though I need a new medium frame with 160mm of travel which will take 1 1/8th forks, standard external bb, chain guide, and 135mm rear hub.

It needs to be able to get up the hills as well as down so preferably not a massive freeride machine!

Suggestions welcome, especially if they include a link to a frame for sale!

Post subject: Re: What 160mm suspension frame?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:45 pm 
Whats the budget bro?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:49 pm 
Sorry fella - probably up to £1200 but under £1k would be good!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:06 pm 
Bottlerocket

--------------------------------------
http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk

Post subject: What 160mm suspension frame?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:43 pm 
Nomad baby! A large frame going on EBay with dhx 5 coil shock (but version 1 pre chain device mounts it looks like).

The DHX 5 is what I have on mine and can't fault it. The large may fit you?

Nigel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:22 pm 
I 2nd the bottlerocket or the covert for a little bit more of an all rounder.

www.ridetransitionbikes.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 pm 
Mat runs a covert Joel - could fit the bill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:59 am 
Bottlerockets are sweet, but all sizes only have a 16" seat tube so can be limiting as an all round bike if your doing a fair bit of climbing - and they have some proper hills in NZ.
Can't fault the Covert so far, it's 150mm rear and i'm running 170mm Lyriks with zero-stack headset so they don't rake it out too much. Bit over budget tho.
NukeProof Mega well worth a look, very similar to the Covert, and under 1k for the frame. Some early frames had a manufacturing issue = snapped chain stays but all sorted now and getting good reviews.
Banshee Rune should be a contender, but until they re-design it with frame bearings instead of bushings I'd avoid.

"It's a cold, miserable day.. but that's what makes us tougher than those boys"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:18 am 
Intense Tracer 2, couldn't recommend this bike enough, its served me well over the last 12 months! They can be built up under 29lbs if you go XTR, but mines about 31lbs and strong enough for freeride yet able to keep up the the 25lbs carbon bike crew! VPP and pro-pedal help on the climbs.

There's one on ebay for £1300 Or "best offer" http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intense-Trace ... 0969682785

Where about in NZ are you moving? i spent more time in the north island but there were some seriously good trails around Rotorua!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:12 pm 
Nomad. Every time as you can do it all and then some....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:28 pm 
Nomad is a lovely looking frame but may well be out of my price range. Same for the intense.

Covert could be an option if I can find one on sale.

Nukeproof mega looks nice but the write up on using it as any kind of trail bike is not great. Having said that the trails out in Wellington look pretty tasty so maybe it could be just right!

hhhmmmm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:33 pm 
Nomad has the same VPP link technology as the Tracer 2, as Intense and Santa cruz being down the road from each other share expertise in that area. they are also both just under 7lbs. same shock length, same 67 head angle etc...

Spec up both with the same kit and you'll have very similar riding bikes! Main difference is brand name and the fact one is 100% hand made in California :-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:19 pm 
Understood on the nomad vs the tracer, both still a bit high on my price range!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:47 pm 
I got mine in a bit of a rush so quickly had it narrowed down to the above. I did also half considered the new Commencal Meta AM or SX, Mondraker Dune and the Orange Alpine, but all would all be above budget if new.

Know a few people with Canyon Torques: http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2589
Seem really nice bikes, and made for 160 - 180 forks. The complete bikes are really good value, frames not quite as good but still cheaper than others. Quite tempted by the bigger DH/Freeride version myself for this year.

Keep an eye on the frame spec's too. Some now have the 12 x 142 rear dropouts (the new Covert can be 135 or 142) and the Commencals are 142 and also have press fit BBs - more faffing/cost if your build kit doesn't match up.

"It's a cold, miserable day.. but that's what makes us tougher than those boys"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:58 pm 
Took a look at the canyon strive full build which is an awesome deal. Problem is they have no stock due in for months.