Forum

Post subject: What type of bike to get?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:27 pm 
My current bike is a cheap bike that's alright around town but does struggle and even break if you throw hills, sand etc at it. I'm looking at one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/8-1-2011-172069577/ which seems well specced for the money and has some good reviews. I'm just wondering whether I'm going to end up breaking this one if I try and get better at jumps and drop offs (Can't see me going over 5ft for a while).
What I'm wondering is would I need 120mm front and rear or am I going to be alright on a hardtail.

Post subject: Re: What type of bike to get?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:52 pm 
That is an awesome spec'ed hardtail, and would be fine for jumps etc
I was riding a 100mm front hardtail before I got my full suss and it was fine, To a certain extent, it's more fun on a hardtail as its more chuckable

--------------------------------------
"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:00 pm 
Hi, Did you notice it says this in the description - "Restricted use not designed for: BMX, Dirt, downhill, free ride."

so i think you may have warranty problems if anything breaks but maybe i'm just being over cautious. i bought a hardtail first with 6061 alu frame and took it round danbury and over the surrey hills without any problems doing small jumps and drops.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:15 pm 
Looks very good value for money and I wouldn't worry about warranty issues too much as you don't actually have to say what type of riding you do. Besides it also says on the description 'Its frame geometry provides the best compromise for climbing and downhill riding' and also says it's for uphill and 'downhill' riding several times elsewhere. So it's actually contradicting itself on the description. Besides if you get into riding you probably won't have it too long before changing to another bike.

--------------------------------------
www.gw-designs.co.uk/home

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:02 am 
Defiantly go for hard tail for that kind of money and good to start out on to get basic handling skills down and not becoming reliant on suspension to just blast through every thing.

Spec looks good at a glance, I'd try and find some reviews?

I spotted this the other day if you want to go for something a bit beefier and you're small or large - they only have 14" or 18" left. Its a few years old but pretty much half price if you can stretch to £600.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2009

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:35 am 
Cheers for the replies