Forum

Post subject: Wheelset upgrade info please !
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:17 pm 
Finally looking to upgrade the wheelset on the Spesh Enduro and looking at the Mavic EN521 but still resisting the HopePro2 hub due to the 'clicky' noise.

Was leaning towards the XT Shimano as durable by all accounts (and well priced) or poss the DTSwiss 370 but I believe that 'clicks as well due to pawl system?

Any info welcome or suggesstions on uprades you have been pleased with that will be able to take aggressive XC/ light FR.

Cheers guys
Paul
:D

Post subject: Re: Wheelset upgrade info please !
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:41 pm 
What is it with those clicky hubs, was following a guy yesterday with one it would drive me nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:05 pm 
Grin wrote:
Finally looking to upgrade the wheelset on the Spesh Enduro and looking at the Mavic EN521 but still resisting the HopePro2 hub due to the 'clicky' noise.

Was leaning towards the XT Shimano as durable by all accounts (and well priced) or poss the DTSwiss 370 but I believe that 'clicks as well due to pawl system?

Any info welcome or suggesstions on uprades you have been pleased with that will be able to take aggressive XC/ light FR.

Cheers guys
Paul
:D

Grin - have a look at the Stan's NoTubes Flow rims:

http://www.notubes.com/Flow-Rims-C22.aspx
http://www.nwmtb.com/product/7267/Stans_No_Tubes_ZTR_Flow_Rim_32h

- I'm running them on my hard tail (for 3 years - no problems) and have just got a set built up for all mountain duties on the Scratch with Hadley Racing hubs - super light, super strong, super quick engagement, super quiet!

Available here

http://www.nwmtb.com/product/6769/Hadley_Disc_ISO_Front_DH_Hub
http://www.nwmtb.com/product/7020/Hadley_Rear_Hub_10mm_ThruBolt_x_135mm_
The hubs can be converted to loads of different axles.

The guy that runs NWMTB used to be Steve Peat's mechanic so should be able to build you up a decent wheel set

Cheers

Northern

Cheers Northern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:12 am 
I went with the 521's after doing a lot of reading, set out to get 717, basically a newer version at more cost with little benefit, got a deal online with shimano hubs, so far so good!

Posted from my phone ' cos I can't wait to get to a PC!

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:27 pm 
Cheers guys, great info & much appreciated.

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:54 pm 
Ive read posts from people who love noisy hubs...guess it take em back to the 'playing cards in ya spokes' days :)

Andy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:50 pm 
Shimano are bringing a new range of SLX rim sets out, M66 & M68, which will be almost up to the current XTs standard.... 66s will be standard QR, and the 68s are 15mm front and 12x142 rears.

These will probably be my next big spend :)

SPS Santa Cruz V10c / Lapierre Spicy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:13 pm 
I have a set of XT rims (front 15mm bolt through) that i may be selling pretty soon like next week there of my Zesty, there like new as only covered 100 miles and. i have stans/evo to go on once i have don the 15mm bolt through conversion to the hub...

you can see them in my bike pic thread

I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:32 pm 
Mavic 721's on slx, only wheels ive ridden and not broke. Never even needed truing, in years of riding its only the cones that have needed tightening/replacing.

Cant you use ya DH wheels?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:38 pm 
beardee wrote:
Mavic 721's on slx, only wheels ive ridden and not broke. Never even needed truing, in years of riding its only the cones that have needed tightening/replacing.

Cant you use ya DH wheels?

DH Wheels!! na, they are bolt throughs and a little heavy!!. Spesh is QR with weird 25mm Spesh hub up front on the e150's.

Getting priced up on a few combo's, including the Hadleys but still considering the XT's given the massive price differrence and Shimano stand up to abuse. well my level of abuse :lol:

Got me thinking thou, maybe I could swap around the lighter wheelset onto the DH rig to make it lighter for some possible UK action needing peddling. That would need the Hadleys or grrr the Hope's to sort the changeover axle requirement. Hmmm :?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:56 pm 
Didnt think about different width axels.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:22 pm 
What's your plan for dealing with the 25mm hub/axle and new wheels? Going to swap the bearings in the new hub? Or keep the specialized one and lace it to a stronger rim?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:00 pm 
chris321 wrote:
What's your plan for dealing with the 25mm hub/axle and new wheels? Going to swap the bearings in the new hub? Or keep the specialized one and lace it to a stronger rim?

Keeping it simple and using the Spesh and relacing to a new rim is the plan. Sealed catridge bearings are simple to change apparrently but in three years of winter riding I have never need to change them. One of the lucky ones I guess!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:57 pm 
Got the Stans Flow rims and Hope hub on the spesh this weekend. Price difference was just too great to ignore the Hope in the end!

Can't take it for a ride yet as STILL waiting for CRC to deliver the stinger and bashguard.

Car sorted too so will finally be out and about soon, especially when the rain backs off! Happy days :D