Forum

Post subject: Laindon to Southend via Hadleigh Olympic MTB Track
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:17 pm 
On Saturday 27th decided to do a ride me and mate left from Laindon headed towards Benfleet once there we found a path leading onto the downs / farm near Benfleet Creek.

We were determined to do some miles and we thought why not pop in and see this olympic track or see if we can find it, I had read a bit how it was no open to the public, what we found was impressive, seems mad that there is this quality trail / track layout that you are not allowed to ride (you can pay towards it with you tax but not use it)

Signs all over the place telling you that you can't ride blah blah, massive wooden beams block the rocky descents and featured trails (which look excellent) signs mention guided tours!

What a shame that they think this way, is it about money making or saftey, bearing any of us could throw ourselfs down a set of large concrete steps on your mountain bike and do just as much damage, my point being you could hurt yourself anywhere.

Anyway this place is def worth a tour around still plenty of trail / track to ride around, could still have fun here, as we left we noticed there was a security guard in his car at the main gate, he was reading, don't know if he would stop you going in, we just cycled out past him.

We ended up in Southend and then headed back to Laindon by then it started to rain and it was a very cold ride back 38 miles in all :)

Post subject: Re: Laindon to Southend via Hadleigh Olympic MTB Track
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:49 pm 
You'll be able to ride the area next year when they have done some modifications, the rocks and shizzle are all staying but they're putting in some chicken runs and the like.

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:54 pm 
unityjon wrote:
you'll be able to ride the area next year when they have done some modifications, the rocks and shizzle are all staying but they're putting in some chicken runs and the like.

Cheers Unityjon, that's fair enough to put in chicken runs the impression I got was they were going to remove anything they consider dangerous as well as mak money to ride the left overs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:40 pm 
Thats part of the route I do (the Benfleet to Southend bit), although not recently !,its far nicer on a hot sunny day especially if you pop into Old Leigh for a beer or two :)

As Jon mentions, plans are afoot for the track although exactly what is the subject of some debate (and argument), but hopefully the original plan to sanitize did have some opposition, there is a nice short DH run (maybe you saw it) than joins up the leap of faith with an existing DH blast.

There are some FB pages about it > https://www.facebook.com/groups/2565242 ... ts&fref=ts (The Hadleigh MTB 'Club' page, dont ask me what goes on ..Ive been banned :( ) and a site made by Essex CC > https://www.facebook.com/HadleighFarmAndCountryPark but a bit sparse on info.

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:13 pm 
JJC1969 wrote:
unityjon wrote:
you'll be able to ride the area next year when they have done some modifications, the rocks and shizzle are all staying but they're putting in some chicken runs and the like.

Cheers Unityjon, that's fair enough to put in chicken runs the impression I got was they were going to remove anything they consider dangerous as well as mak money to ride the left overs.

you wont have to pay to ride, but you will have to pay to park.

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:23 pm 
Yeah been keeping me eye on any progress at hadleigh as jon says they are planning afew mods!hmmm wots the word!more user friendly!hopfully they wont spoil it once its finished!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:14 pm 
..and I believe all the strange Sally Army covenants will still apply..no booze...no swearing..no listening to Slayer, etc

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:51 am 
I sent off for the ride before we change it guided rides on the Hadleigh course.. Just waiting for the final dates to be arranged. Some of the course is sharp pointy rocks but no more than you would find in say Wales... And the rock is a fun a minute experience

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:50 pm 
Oh dear !.. Story in todays Echo says track might not be 'completed' untill 2014, it has various confusing quotes from County Hall spokesman..not looking good,I expect many people certainly won't wait 2 years befaore having a sneaky ride on it, its hard to see why it would take so long as I thought it was just minor changes ?

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:34 pm 
That story is bull... The echo are just scare mongering.. They where talking about it on the hadleigh club FB page...

Come on whenever has anybody believed the press????

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 pm 
Dunno if it should be classed as 'bull'........they were quoting councillor Stephen castle, so we shall see...I have a feeling that come next summer it wont be up and running, which would be a pity.

The Echo is only a local paper and generally not prone to making up stories like the Sun.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:29 pm 
So much for olympic legacy!!!!

trees dont move!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:31 pm 
No but they are prone to reporting half the info or sensationalizing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:04 pm 
AgentOrange wrote:
no but they are prone to reporting half the info or sensationalizing

True..may not be interpreting the radio interview correctly, pity it doesnt say where it was from, may be available on catch-up or something.

But this is the Southend Echo, rarely sensational stories in it, its normally 'Man trips in street' or 'Fight breaks out in Churchills' :)

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:19 pm 
I seem to remember reading that it's being used for a junior event either quite soon or early next year, then it's supposed to be made safer for general riders.

You have to remember that if its a managed course in any way, shape or form then the H&SE has to be involved to approve it's use, even if they give it a cursory once over and nod of approval.

I'm sure we could write directly to the Olympic legacy committee and a get a much less sensationalised answer?

Dallas